MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
HSmom

Who is BOB? What about GHB? Hint: it's "what," not "who"

Thanks MtRider. This does help. Now I have to get it all together and see how it all will fit. It sounds like enough to fill the back of a pickup. At least it is a start. I will let you know how it goes.

I'm the list-making-type.

I made a list of how to evacuate the house. It includes how to turn off utilities & water, as well as what to grab...exactly what to grab, such as drivers' license, concealed weapons permit, and cash from purse...plus cash from safe...plus exactly which totes to grab from storage.

That list assumes that we are evacuating by vehicle. It is followed by a list of how to abandon the vehicle...which things to stuff into backpacks an which to leave behind.

There's always too much. In dire circumstances a toothbrush is too much, KWIM (Know What I Mean?).

....yep, HS. I DO know what you mean. My real secret BO plan? Back semi tractor up to my house. Hitch it up. Drive to safety. :laughkick:

I also have a EVAC list that tells what to grab if I have 3 minutes or less to GET OUT! Then the next page has what to add to that if I have 10 or 15 minutes to load up. [you'd be surprised how short 10 minutes is...especially if your hands are shaking and your brain wants to scream "Noooo, this isn't happening!" ]. Then additional pages for and hour or two and that includes things like room to room instructions on what to gather and what to shut down. Yeah, [MtR high-fives with HS] I rely on my lists so Brain freeze doesn't stop me cold.

MtRider [self-proclaimed Packrat With A Purpose]

Edited by Mt_Rider

Your welcome, AMarthaBH and Y.T.

Unfortunately, my "insight" came from having to do the REAL thing...twice. Within 2 wks. The first one turned out to be dress rehearsal. The second wildfire was not put out and....we were evacuated for 3 weeks. Animals ended up in 3 counties at one point. I moved my horses [or someone did for me] SIX times before they were home again. No one thinks of evacuating for more than a few hours or a couple days. In this case, it was because the fire had NOT QUITE raged thru our area. We remained on the dangerous fringe of the fire break line for that whole time. Even when we were allowed back in, we had to assure authorities that we had a plan for immediate EVAC again...especially for the big animals like our horses. We were on watch for many more weeks as they battled the thing. What a year! This year has been blessedly wet and chilly.

So anyway, anything you'd use a BOB for is ....unexpected and can have some odd twists and turns during the thing too. Take enough out with you...if you have the chance. But even just grabbing dear old BOB as you RUN for the door will be very much more comforting than running out in your skivies and car keys.

Also....'tis approaching the season to change all those CAR BOB's to fit the winter weather conditions [for those of us in snow country].

MtRider [lists and lists.....where did I put *that* list? :P ]

Yep, Fall is already in gear here in my mountains ! Ordered a cheapy camo pup tent for my BOB since I also need my hiking boots too, from Dicks later in the month when I get to Plattsburgh again. The other tent I have is just way too heavy for a pack and its white and orange anyhow. Can have it as a 'camping tent'. Ive been frustrated trying to find a small one that I could afford for the BOB type and grabbed the last one at Amazon tonight,lol. I have totally worn out my boots I had, so new ones are justified, and like you , Mt Rider, they need to be good ones that will really grip the trail and rocks and such because I live in wild country too. It is not ok to just get cheapies from Walmart that peel apart when they get wet . They also are good for the snowy days and cold and stability factor I need with fibro and a bad back and sometimes terribly painful pains in the winter. I could also have to do a huge walk out to the South or East Texas, so quality matters for longevity in a big way. It is not something to skimp on for me.

Edited by arby

Good reminder, Rabbit!

With freezing temps [mostly] behind us, I can go back to filling water bottles in my car all the way up to the top. Today I got my brain kicked in gear to think "Beware of TOO HOT" instead of "Beware of TOO COLD"....although cold is still and issue too. It always takes me an episode or two of OVERHEATING [dangerous with MS] to realize that WINTER has changed to SUMMER. Up here, we don't get much of a transition period...a.k.a. Springtime.

MtRider [...quickly shifting gears to SUMMER PROTOCOLS....and checking BOB's too!]

Every year when school's out, I breathe a sigh of relief and somberly resolve to do better "next year" - with organization, communications, etc.

But this spring brought a series of events that had never happened before- at least not all within a few months: my community narrowly missed a direct tornado hit (in January!), a truck fire (18 wheeler) on I-24 held up traffic in the west bound lane for over an hour (and so I was an hour late to work), then 48 hours later, same place, a small truck crashed and overturned. Luckily I was only a few minutes behind it and could get around before the lanes were closed (and others were on scene rendering aid). Then, the week before school was out, the east bound lanes of I-24 were shut down for 5 days due to a very large sinkhole; traffic was detoured on US 41 and it took me over an hour to go 15 miles - in rural middle TN!! I took another route another day and just missed getting caught in a major accident in Winchester across from the Wal-Mart. My area missed the catastrophic rains that shut down Nashville, but a colleague was in Nashville and escaped his car just prior to its being washed away. Graduation night had a major 18 wheeler accident just past Manchester, again on I-24 that held up west bound traffic for about 2 hours. I am glad it was cleared up before I had to head back home.

And I have said to myself after each of these events: wow - gotta get that BOB/get home bag together. Then 100 distractions pop up and that's it. But these events so close together have rattled me, now that I have a chance to sit down and reflect on them.

I did take Vic 303's advice about putting together a mini survival kit in a Pelican box, so that's in my "Jack [bauer] bag". I also put together a very micro mini first aid kit in an Altoid tin which fits nicely in my small purse. I found a cell phone "holster" by Body Glove that is not only great for my cell phone, but I bought a second one to hold some mini gel pens and a small notepad and a third one to hold lip balm, a lipstick and an eyeliner pencil. DH got me one of those small messenger purses advertised on TV (and at Wal-Mart) a couple of years ago and when you organize it properly, it really is useful! It can carry the above mentioned items, plus my small wallet and if I want, my .38 (sans holster). However, its zippers aren't really heavy duty and the pulls came off, so DH got me an early birthday present - a Maxpedition 'Fatboy versipack'. It won't be as lightweight as the purse, but is well built and designed for concealed carry. It's on its way so I'll do a report on it when I get it set up.

My "Jack Bag" is a canvas messenger bag done as a promo for the "24" TV show. It's nice - but is open; it has 2 big front pouches and a side pouch on either end, and one big compartment with small zip pocket at the back and a flap that secures with velcro. Oh and a "CTU" brass button logo. What I've done is get several school pencil bags (the heavy duty sort) in various colors. Red is for first aid and has a bottle of Germ-X or Purell, a small bottle of Melaleuca oil and anti-biotic ointment, assorted band-aids, alcohol swipes, dental floss, spare contacts and a case, solution, the super thin panty liners (2) which can do their obvious duty or be used as wound dressing, a small roll of adhesive tape, a couple of bigger gauze pads and small scissors. This FAK is redundant with my Pelican and Altoid kits. The Pelican is in this bag permanently and the Altoid is in my purse. I want to add splinter/tick tweezers to the kits as well as some N95 masks, water purifier tablets and maybe iodine tablets after a talk with my dr (I have a minor hypo thyroid problem). Gratefully, my doc is on board with alternative and emergency SHTF preps! In the red FAK, I also have a small supply of Advil, Imodium and Benadryl.

I have a blue bag for "tech supplies" - an all in one screwdriver (the $2 specials at Home Depot where you have several sized bits to choose from), a Leatherman Micra (I got about 3 of these off Ebay - TSA confiscations - for next to nothing and they're great), a Mini Maglite with extra batteries, a couple of 30 gal HD trashbags, folded up and 550 paracord which I want to braid over a mini pry bar tool (which I need to order). Also in there, as well as in the Pelican mini survival kit, is a little container of birthday candles and waterproof matches and 2 little BIC lighters. I need to get a little container for lint and vaseline soaked cottonballs.

One thing about sitting in traffic for both the truck fire and the sinkhole: I was behind 2 ambulances in the former and both incidents were in broad daylight close to home with great weather. But had they been at night or in bad weather - both which would have been the case in the graduation night accident - things could have turned very grim very quickly. In all of these episodes, folks were cordial and well behaved, their concern more for the victims than themselves. But an hour (never mind 2 or more!) is a long time to sit in the car. I think about goofy things: what if you had kids or elderly parent with you and someone had a "potty emergency"? Girls can't "point and shoot".

But what I have to prep for is the potential event requiring me to walk home - from work some 30 miles away, from shopping which could take me anywhere from 15 to 60 miles away from home, or from somewhere further afield. And in the shopping/excursion scenarios, I would probably have my 88 year old Mom with me. It's stupid, I know, but the thought of that just paralyzes me. Last year's trip to Texas for my daughter's wedding, Mom in tow, really unnerved me. I have decided to find a child's wheelchair (Mom is small) that can fold up and be stored in the trunk of her car and have 2 sturdy (and maybe collapsible) rods and a sturdy blanket to make a travois with.

So I'm off RIGHT NOW to fix my 'get home bag' - the one with that will stay in the truck with season appropriate clothing, boots, gloves, water and food. I did get the 'vacuum shrink' bags for it awhile back. That should help a little.

Whew. Thanks for letting me vent. :happy0203:

I recently saw a youth-sized folding wheelchair sold for maybe $20. Keep your eyes open.

I just bought a case of Datrex bars. Crumbly, and they make me thirsty, but they taste great. Unfortunately, I found out that I am one of two people in my 6-person household who can tolerate the heavy coconut aroma. Since I asked before I bought the case, and got no feedback, this is making me quite unhappy. I've told the others to enjoy their peanut butter. Peanut butter I can rotate without financial pain. When I was stocking their GHBs with jerky, pretzel sticks, and hard candies, I couldn't afford to stay ahead of the snacking and couldn't get cooperation on holding back for an emergency.

"Can't eat coconut." Since when? Granted, we don't routinely eat coconut, but surely I'd have had a hint before now? And why didn't they speak up when asked whether apple cinnamon bars, lemon bars, or coconut bars sounded like better hurricane food?

Grumph. My puppy likes coconut.

Thanks Ambergris. I will keep an eye out for a suitable bargain!

Re your coconut - I've gotten into that, too. I ask for suggestions or input and get glazed eyeballs or shrugs. I remember what a mom told her whining kids at an Austin hamburger stand years ago: "you'll eat it and like it!"

OH! and as if to make another point - we just heard the tornado warning sirens go off. The dangerous celll has passed, but we're having a pretty good T-storm.

Also, I saw on another forum (interesting but strange) about keeping a stash of small bills and coins for a SHTF situation (or just a solar storm rendering ATMs and such useless). We've talked about that, but this poster also suggested having $10 (face value) in silver quarters and dimes somewhere handy. Right now, 1964 and earlier quarters (90% silver) are worth about $3.28 (@ $18.17 an oz) and the dimes are worth about $1.31 each. So right now, a 90% silver dime is worth a little over a dollar. I know we've kicked the topic of PMs around a lot here, but it's another thing to ponder.

Edited by The MacKinnon

That's a good idea, too, Trish! I could pad it sufficiently I believe. This is obviously more suited to the conditions in which I'd have to transport her, I would think.

And, in the meantime, I could haul any deer I shot this winter. :happy0203:

Edited by The MacKinnon

Good time for a review or for first timers wondering what a BOB is and what you put in it..... BUMP :americanflag:

Edited by arby

Also, I saw on another forum (interesting but strange) about keeping a stash of small bills and coins for a SHTF situation (or just a solar storm rendering ATMs and such useless). We've talked about that, but this poster also suggested having $10 (face value) in silver quarters and dimes somewhere handy. Right now, 1964 and earlier quarters (90% silver) are worth about $3.28 (@ $18.17 an oz) and the dimes are worth about $1.31 each. So right now, a 90% silver dime is worth a little over a dollar. I know we've kicked the topic of PMs around a lot here, but it's another thing to ponder.

Yahoo has an article up right now about the value of pre82 pennies. If the government gets rid of pennies, it will no longer be illegal to melt them.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/laws-change-penny-hoarders-cash-thousands-dollars/story?id=15076522

If Laws Change, 'Penny Hoarders' Could Cash in on Thousands of Dollars

By NEAL KARLINSKY (@NealKarlinsky) and MARY-ROSE ABRAHAM (@MRAinNYC) Dec. 2, 2011

Joe Henry is on a first name basis with bank tellers across his hometown of Medford, Ore., scouring 15 banks a week with one thing on his mind: pennies.Henry is often seen toting around bags of pennies, some he buys, others he changes back in for cash, which seems a little strange at first. He's not a collector, he is what's known as a "penny hoarder" and he is not alone.

Inside a shed next to his house, Henry has orange tubs filled with 200,000 pennies, and he spends hours sorting through roll after roll of the coins. But it's not just any and all pennies, Henry is only interested in those that are dated from 1982 and earlier because those are the coins made with 95 percent copper. A copper penny is worth more than other pennies -- now mostly made of zinc -- currently priced at $0.024.

"The copper has such a different sound than zinc pennies do," Henry said. "Real money has that definite sound of money and if you listen to a modern zinc penny, they don't sound the same, they sound sort of tinny."

Henry even has a $500 home counting machine to separate out the copper ones.

Much like the resurging obsession with gold, the price of copper has skyrocketed in recent years and the rising price has led to some unusual sprees. Thieves have been exploiting the value hidden in obscure items, stripping copper wiring from phone and utility cables, from construction sites, even from a 122-year-old copper bell that was stolen from a San Francisco cathedral.

abc_penny_hoarding_shed_jef_111202_wg.jpgABC NewsInside a shed next to his house in Medford, Ore., Joe Henry has orange tubs filled with an astonishing 200,000 pennies. But Henry is only interested in those that are dated from 1982 and earlier because those are the coins that were made of copper.In San Diego, so much copper wiring has been stolen from eight different city parks, that soccer teams can't practice because the field lights stopped working.

But penny hoarders aren't thieves, just opportunists. There are a slew of listing for pennies in bulk on eBay, but what's amazing is they include listings for $10 in pennies being sold for $20 dollars. If you think only a sucker would pay two cents for a penny, you're missing out on a business opportunity that Adam Youngs, who runs a massive penny sorting operation in Portland, Ore., has perfected.

He explained how he can sell a $100 worth of pennies for $176, when shipping and packaging are included.

Youngs' operation, the Portland Mint, is locked inside a secure facility that deals with armored cars -- selling and shipping to clients in every state -- and works in pennies by the ton. He said he has clients with deep pockets who are storing huge sacks of pennies and he has inquires from hedge funds.

"Just in face value alone, about $270,000 dollars [in pennies] right now," Youngs said. "That is just the face value, that is not even the copper value. The copper value is about three times that much."

Clients use Youngs because he separates copper pennies from the chump change -- the newer pennies that are only worth $0.01.

But in the weird world of penny hoarding, getting to the copper is a very big problem. It's illegal to melt pennies an there is an obscure federal law that makes it illegal to transport more than $5 in pennies out of the country.

Penny hoarders know this of course, but they also know something else. In what could be the biggest legislation to hit the U.S. Mint in 50 years, officials are now looking at the composition of pennies and nickels and considering an overhaul. If the laws change and the mint decides to abolish the penny, people would be free to melt them down for the copper.

A penny saved, many times over, could be a whole lot earned.

A half full 5 gallon water jug carries about 250$ in pennies. Had a friend who saved for years. I helped count and roll the darn things~ lol. So... he's got 500 $ or so in each bucket, maybe more??

Thanks for reminding me about pennies. I went through all of mine years ago to get the wheat pennies out. Now I guess I need to go through them again and look for pre-1982. I don't have a whole lot of them though.

I cashed in a whole bunch a couple of months ago. I had no clue then. I'll be checking from now on.

My children and grandchildren don't live around me, but we have 3 Shih Tzus and one temporary cat of my daughters that we prep for. Along with my BOB, I have two dog BOBs that contain food, water dishes, flea meds, scissors, leashes and collars, dog toys, blankets, treats, grooming supplies. I have to make one for the cat. It is a new and temporary aquisition. However, if something happens when we have him, he needs just at much as if he were ours. It will include the same as the dogs, except in cat form. I also need to prepare for my neighbor's dog because we have agreed that if she is away and something happens, we will take him with us. That makes a total of 5 animals!!

For my husband and I, we carry multiple first aid kits in the car, a camp shovel, water, water, water, feminine products (great for first aid), toilet paper, snacks, besides our BOB that includes everything from medical supplies to tools, flashlights, food, etc. I have a 5 gallon bucket of food I keep by the door we would leave by, so all I have to do is grab it and run. It is too hot in our part of the country to leave it in the car. I have some temporary foot problems so bugging out where I would have to walk any distance or over much rough ground isn't an option. I would be better to stay. Also, my little dogs will not be hiking anywhere much. The cat? Are you kidding?! No, we had better plan to stay at home, but if we were out, we are protected for a while in a lot of situations. Usually the dogs stay at home and always the cat will be home.

It is hard to prepare for everything and anything. What we need to remember is that if we are stranded for whatever the reason, that will be the reality. If we have nothing with us, we are in major trouble. Even if you get stuck in a major road accident that keeps you there for hours on end (it has happened to my husband) you want some provisions.

By the way, I always carry my concealed handgun and 2 full magazines so that is some form of protection. Keep in mind most times if things go to **** in a handbasket, people aren't as nice as they are in normal situations.

Be prepared!

We used to have BOBs that were 'get out on foot to the desert' bags, but now we've moved across the country and we don't know the area at all, so I'm changing them.

I spent a lot of time yesterday on this blog: http://actegratuit.blogspot.com/2011/03/surviving-earthquake-in-japan.html She is LDS, military, lived through the Japan earthquake, and blogged it. She also had several other people blog their experiences (they are the Monday posts) to get other perspectives, especially about what they did right and what they would change if they had a do-over in terms of being prepared. Many of them used their 72 hour bags. Really interesting reading.

Anyways, when I first started looking for ideas for 72 hour kits, some of them were downright ridiculous. Rubber mallet, axe, propane or butane cans, a full set of winter outer clothes including calf high snow boots. And you can fit all this into a bag.. how?

Sigh. I researched a bunch and this is what I came up with. Though it can be grabbed to go, it is more for a stay-in-place kind of emergency, or an evacuation where there will be areas that we can get to that are not damaged, not for a long term sustained collapse where we have to live primitively and long term in the wilderness while expecting a toddler and teen to hike 50 miles in the backwoods.

Clothing-

long sleeve shirt

sweat pants

hoodie (maybe, at least for the toddler. For adults this might take up too much room)

underwear

socks -- lightweight wool

poncho

possibly - hat, gloves (car kits have these)

Hygiene, all travel sized --

toothbrush

toothpaste

chapstick

soap (hotel sized)

washcloth

hand sanitizer

sunscreen

TP

fem supplies

baby wipes

small bottle of bleach

several shop paper towels, folded

Money & Docs

small bills & coins

family picture

recent pics of kids

emergency contacts

map with evac routes highlighted

flash drive encrypted with scanned copies of all vital docs and sentimental pics

Emergency supplies

first aid kit (bandages, neosporin, disinfectant wipes, tweezers, tape)

hand warmers

multi-tool

emergency blanket (thin mylar)

battery powered radio (found one on Amazon with incredible reviews, shorter than a dollar, and about $11)

esbit stove & trioxane

can opener

bc powders

tylenol

benadryl

Light

flashlight w/extra batteries

matches

candle

glow sticks

magnesium firestarter w/half a hacksaw blade for easy grating

Fun

post it notes

notepad

crayons

pencil

card game

Food

jerky

sunflower seeds

peanut butter

granola bars

instant oatmeal/cream of wheat

trail mix

2 bottles of water

I am fully aware of the recommendation of 1 gallon of water per person per day. I am a tele (cardiac) nurse. I also know that there is no way for me to put a gallon of water in a backpack and still have room for other things. If we need to get out of the house in 1 minute, it will be because of a fire, in which case other areas will still have water. If we don't need to evacuate immediately, I will have time to fill a camelback with water from the sink or from our stored water, or grab several of the 2 liter bottles of water that are filled and accessible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.