MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Red Flags Waving . . . . PREPARE . . . . .

Not sure the validity of this - but have received it twice in emails in the past two days. . . .

Even if it is NOT for real - we should stop and think about what if it WAS real. I, for one, believe it is probably true.

STORY:

A Wall Street Journal columnist has advised people to 'start stockpiling food' and an ABC News Report says 'there are worrying signs appearing in the United States where some … locals are beginning to hoard supplies.' Now there's concern that the U.S. government may be competing with consumers for stocks of storable food.

'We're told that the feds bought the entire container of canned butter when it hit the California docks. (Something's up!),' said officials at Best Prices Storable Foods in an advisory to customers.

Spokesman Bruce Hopkins told WND he also has had trouble obtaining No. 10 cans of various products from one of the world's larger suppliers of food stores, Oregon Freeze Dry.

He said a company official told him on the telephone when he discussed the status of his order that it was because the government had purchased massive quantities of products, leaving none for other customers.

That, however, was denied by Oregon Freeze Dry. In a website statement, the company confirmed it cannot assure supplying some items to customers.

'We regret to inform you Oregon Freeze Dry cannot satisfy all Mountain House #10 can orders and we have removed #10 cans from our website temporarily,' the company tells frustrated customers. 'The reason for this is sales of #10 cans have continued to increase. OFD is allocating as much production capacity as possible to this market segment, but we must maintain capacity for our other market segments as well.'

The company statement continues, 'We want to clarify inaccurate information we’ve seen on the Internet. This situation is not due to sales to the government domestically or in Iraq. We do sell products to this market, but we also sell other market segments … The reason for this decision is solely due to an unprecedented sales spike in #10 cans sales.

'We expect this situation to be necessary for several months although this isn’t a guarantee. We will update this information as soon as we know more. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your patience. We sincerely hope you will continue to be Mountain House customers in the future,' the company statement said.

But Hopkins wasn't backing away from his concerns.

'The government just came in and said they're buying it. They did pay for it,' he told WND about the summertime shipment of long-term storage butter. 'They took it and no one else could have it.

'We don't know why. The feds then went to freeze dried companies, and bought most of their canned stock,' he said.

A spokeswoman for Oregon Freeze Dry, sales manager Melanie Cornutt, told WND that the increasing demand for food that can be stored has been on the rise since Hurricane Katrina devastated large sections of the Gulf Coast, cutting off ordinary supply routes.

'We are currently out of stock on our cans. We are not selling any of our cans,' she confirmed.

She then raised the issue of government purchases herself.

'We do sell to the government [but] it is not the reason [for company sales limits],' she said.

Officials with the Federal Emergency Management Agency told WND whatever government agency is buying in a surge it isn't them. They reported a stockpile of about six million meals which has not changed significantly in an extended period.

But Hopkins said it was his opinion the government is purchasing huge quantities of food for stockpiles, and Americans will have to surmise why.

'We don't have shelters that [are being] stocked with food. We're not doing this for the public. My only conclusion is that they're stocking up for themselves,' he said of government officials.

Blogger Holly Deyo issued an alert this week announcing, 'Unprecedented demand cleans out major storable food supplier through 2009.'

'It came to our attention today, that the world's largest producer of storable foods, Mountain House, is currently out of stock of ALL #10 cans of freeze dried foods, not just the Turkey Tetrazzini. They will NOT have product now through 2009,' she said.

'This information was learned by a Mountain House dealer who shared it with me this morning. In personally talking with the company immediately after, Mountain House verified the information is true. Customer service stated, 'I'm surprised they don't have this posted on the website yet.' She said they have such a backlog of orders, Mountain House will not be taking any #10 can food requests through the remainder of this year and all of the next.

'Mountain House claims this situation is due to a backlog of orders, which may very well be true, but who is purchasing all of their food? This is a massive global corporation.

'One idea: the military. Tensions are ramping up with Iran and news segments debate whether or not we will implement a preemptive strike in conjunction with Israel,' she wrote.

Hopkins raised some of the same concerns, suggesting a military conflict could cause oil supplies to plummet, triggering a huge increase in the cost of food – when it would be available – because of the transportation issues.

The ABC report from just a few weeks ago quoted Jim Rawles, a former U.S. intelligence officer who runs a survival blog, saying food shortages soon could become a matter of survival in the U.S.

'I think that families should be prepared for times of crisis, whether it's a man-made disaster or a natural disaster, and I think it's wise and prudent to stock up on food,' he told ABC.

'If you get into a situation where fuel supplies are disrupted or even if the power grid were to go down for short periods of time, people can work around that,' he said. 'But you can't work around a lack of food – people starve, people panic and you end up with chaos in the streets.'

At his California ranch, the location of which is kept secret, he said, 'We have more than a three-year supply of food here.'

In the Wall Street Journal, columnist Brett Arends warned, 'Maybe it's time for Americans to start stockpiling food.

'No, this is not a drill,' he wrote.

His concern was about various food shortages around the globe, and the fact that in a global market, prices in the U.S. reflect difficulties in other parts of the world quickly.

Professor Lawrence F. Roberge, a biologist who has worked with a number of universities and has taught online courses, told WND he's been following the growing concern over food supplies.

He also confirmed to WND reports of the government purchasing vast quantities of long-term storable foods.

He said that naturally would be kept secret to avoid panicking the public, such as when word leaks out to customers that a bank may be insolvent, and depositors frantically try to retrieve their cash.

'[These] circumstances certainly raise red flags,' he said.

I have heard from another source that Mountain House is sold out through 2009 (survival acres)

I saw a NYT article in April that the senior economist at Morgan Stanley said people should be buying up food and storing it away.

Yeah, I don't doubt this is true. There's an enormous fallout shelter just outside of DC intended for congress and the highest levels of government. I wouldn't be surprised if the butter ended up there.

yes, that email looks like a compilation of a couple stories I've read here. It looks worse all in one story, that is for sure!

Emergency Essentials has Mountain House again though, so I'm wondering if it was just that demand oustripped their production ability.

the reference to the Wall Street Journal columnist recommending food storage is sure accurate

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1208815172...tml?mod=mostpop

Originally Posted By: WallStreetJournal

R.O.I.

By BRETT ARENDS

Load Up the Pantry

April 21, 2008 6:47 p.m.

I don't want to alarm anybody, but maybe it's time for Americans to start stockpiling food.

No, this is not a drill.

You've seen the TV footage of food riots in parts of the developing world. Yes, they're a long way away from the U.S. But most foodstuffs operate in a global market. When the cost of wheat soars in Asia, it will do the same here.

Reality: Food prices are already rising here much faster than the returns you are likely to get from keeping your money in a bank or money-market fund. And there are very good reasons to believe prices on the shelves are about to start rising a lot faster.

"Load up the pantry," says Manu Daftary, one of Wall Street's top investors and the manager of the Quaker Strategic Growth mutual fund. "I think prices are going higher. People are too complacent. They think it isn't going to happen here. But I don't know how the food companies can absorb higher costs." (Full disclosure: I am an investor in Quaker Strategic)

Stocking up on food may not replace your long-term investments, but it may make a sensible home for some of your shorter-term cash. Do the math. If you keep your standby cash in a money-market fund you'll be lucky to get a 2.5% interest rate. Even the best one-year certificate of deposit you can find is only going to pay you about 4.1%, according to Bankrate.com. And those yields are before tax.

Meanwhile the most recent government data shows food inflation for the average American household is now running at 4.5% a year.

And some prices are rising even more quickly. The latest data show cereal prices rising by more than 8% a year. Both flour and rice are up more than 13%. Milk, cheese, bananas and even peanut butter: They're all up by more than 10%. Eggs have rocketed up 30% in a year. Ground beef prices are up 4.8% and chicken by 5.4%.

These are trends that have been in place for some time.

And if you are hoping they will pass, here's the bad news: They may actually accelerate.

The reason? The prices of many underlying raw materials have risen much more quickly still. Wheat prices, for example, have roughly tripled in the past three years.

Sooner or later, the food companies are going to have to pass those costs on. Kraft saw its raw material costs soar by about $1.25 billion last year, squeezing profit margins. The company recently warned that higher prices are here to stay. Last month the chief executive of General Mills, Kendall Powell, made a similar point.

The main reason for rising prices, of course, is the surge in demand from China and India. Hundreds of millions of people are joining the middle class each year, and that means they want to eat more and better food.

A secondary reason has been the growing demand for ethanol as a fuel additive. That's soaking up some of the corn supply.

You can't easily stock up on perishables like eggs or milk. But other products will keep. Among them: Dried pasta, rice, cereals, and cans of everything from tuna fish to fruit and vegetables. The kicker: You should also save money by buying them in bulk.

If this seems a stretch, ponder this: The emerging bull market in agricultural products is following in the footsteps of oil. A few years ago, many Americans hoped $2 gas was a temporary spike. Now it's the rosy memory of a bygone age.

The good news is that it's easier to store Cap'n Crunch or cans of Starkist in your home than it is to store lots of gasoline. Safer, too.

Write to Brett Arends at brett.arends@wsj.com

This is definitely a big heads up. I copied it and sent it via email to family and friends. I sure hope they are not going to resist the news! They all need to understand this! Yea the gvmnt will certainly make sure they can still get through such times. We need to be looking out for ourselves from now on it looks like.

I'd really like to find out if that first post is...um...well, I know it's true, but...oh shoot...can we authenticate it and find out where it came from?

i want to send it along with the second article that Tracie posted to my family, but I know my family members will start digging to see who wrote it and what the philosophy of the author is (alarmist? what?) before they'd believe it. I can't blame them. I'd do the same if I were in their shoes.

So can someone help me figure out where it came from and who the author is?

The post is a combination of several reports.

The Red Feather Butter report is about 3 months old. The Mountain House report is about 2 months old.

There are several reports out of various newspapers about stocking up on food because of rising food prices. Those reports range from several months old to fairly recent.

What I can verify is that in the space of 2 weeks, #10 cans of Mountain House products went from being "very available at the majority of suppliers" to no one has anything and not sure when we will get more. This was about 10 weeks ago.

SOME places have gotten a limited supply of Mountain House #10 cans, but unless you are right on top of it, they sell out pretty quick (typically in less than a week for most of them).

Thanks, guys.

Oregon Freeze Dried is right here...we know folks employed by them. I need to be sure of the facts before I pass it on to my relatives.

Since we've all lived with Oregon Freeze Dried forever, and most of us have been the beneficiaries of a free box of dried blueberries or dried carrots or whatever that they overstocked at some point, this will make a huge impression on my family.

Dh and I just bought the seed for our fall garden. He is prepping and doesn't even know it! I have to be very careful about how I phrase it, but I am so glad that he is on the bandwagon. I think that a trip to Aldi's will be in order on payday and see how many cases of fruit, etc. we can get.

Thanks for the info!

Blessings,

Carie

Aldis has been out of various items for weeks on end. I was told their warehouse is out. I don't think it is shortages rather more people are shopping Aldis to save on groceries and more people stocking up so their inventory is turning over faster than expected.

I do think we could have shortages for several reasons. One we have no backlog of food. A widespread crop failure could lead to shortages. The floods in the Midwest will impact food supplies this year. Corn crop is estimated to be 20% less than expected. Producers of cattle, swine, poultry are being squeezed by high feed prices and many are getting out the business.

Increasing demand and the inability of production to keep pace.

War, rumors of war always impact somebody.

We've been so blessed in this country by abundant cheap food and freedom from war (911 excepted). People (sheeple) think life is always going to be abundant and free. Hopefully it will although history says its unlikely.

Increasing gas prices fuel increases in everything else. For the short term we can do without many things but not food so that is what is noticed...food prices are jumping daily. Suddenly people are getting the idea it might be wise to buy today and save tomorrows increase.

Another web site was discussing the run on buying deep freezes. They had to go to a number of stores to even find one in stock then had to order the one they wanted.

Yet another forum was discussing that canning supplies are selling out as fast as they come in.

We are living in interesting times.

Anna,

I did notice that Aldi's looked a little sparse. They had everything that I wanted, but they are usually jam packed with stuff and it didn't seem so full. The lines were rather long and there were 3!!! checkers. Usually you are lucky if there is one!

Blessings,

Carie

A sanity check here.....

YES, the .gov did buy an entire container full of canned butter right off the dock that didn't even make it to the distributor.

Yes, Mountain House is behind on orders.

Yes, they have decided not to take any new orders for a while.

Yes, Walton Feed is doing the same.

Yes, it appears that *someone* is buying all of the available stock in an unprecedented way.

Yes, there *have* been food shortages in the rest of the world, as well as supply chain disruptions here at home due to sudden price changes, particularly with rice.

Info about Mountain House shortages, price increases, and long back order times have been circulating for 3 months now. People see these blogs and read these emails (think about it, it's free advertising for Mtn House!) They think, "hmmm, I was going to buy some Mtn House... I'd better do it now."

It makes me wonder how much of this we are doing to ourselves and how much is the 'government'. Could it be that the "spike" we are seeing may just be people like us. Think about it. This is just like the "rice shortage" a couple of months ago.

Mtn House, I am presuming, has contractual obligations to provide such-and-such amounts of goods to various companies and governments. With the leftover capacity, they know they can do whatever they want to with their equipment. It takes several weeks to freeze dry stuff commercially. They have a set amount of time and capacity on their freeze dry equipment.

Using the JIT (just in time) mentality, they don't want freezers sitting around idle. So they size the factory exactly to be able to meet average demand, not peak demand.

Now we come along, and we all hear that there is going to be a shortage. We all start buying things. They have a set amount of capacity to deal with us on an average year-to-year basis, but here comes 100,000 new orders that they didn't plan for.

Do the math.

Or it could be a giant .gov conspiracy. (Dust off the foil hats)

tinfoil

Look at the bigger picture. By and large, our own lives are more expensive but we are still eating, doing dishes, and taking out the trash. None of us on the group have had hardship enough to say, "we can't afford beans and rice tonight, so there is NO dinner and NO FOOD and we go to bed STARVING."

The US still has a large network of food banks, emergency aid, and food stamp programs to help the 'poor.' (How poverty is classified is another post!) I still see foodstamps being used in the stores. Even those of us here who are hardest hit could still scrape up a couple of cans for the needy if they came knocking.

Famine is not as widespread in the world this year, as it was in say Ethiopia in 1984, even though there are more humans on the planet. (Not to say that there are no famines in the world this year, but by and large most famines in the world are caused largely by political reasons, not by lack of food.)

At this point we are giving up vacations, watching money closely (which most of us should have been or have been doing all along) and stretching a dollar as far as we can and then some. Most of us are actively filling pantries that have gone bare due to the LUXURY of eating convenience and fast foods, NOT going hungry. I'm not saying to ignore the red flags and hope that it goes away, I'm saying - try and keep it in perspective.

This is not time to head to the bunker or hills and nail the door shut. Keep your ear to the ground and PRAY for insight and guidance. It's time to plan wisely, comprehensively, and plan well, something I myself am guilty of.

Just my opinion(s)....blessings!

bighug

Scrap Metal Thieves Target Hydrants

By MATTHEW BARAKAT,AP

Posted: 2008-07-22 22:18:57

McLEAN, Va. (July 21) - Dogs aren't the only ones casting a longing eye at fire hydrants these days. Fire departments across the country report that thieves are twisting the brass nuts off the tops and selling them for scrap, raising concerns that the hydrants won't work when needed most.

(Metal Thefts: What's Mined Is YoursJacquelyn Martin, APThe rise in the value of scrap metal in the last several years has exacerbated thefts of everyday objects, like brass nuts on fire hydrants, which authorities largely blame on methamphetamine addicts seeking fast money.)

Firefighters responding to an April house fire in Hesperia, Calif., found that the five closest hydrants were useless because thieves had taken the nuts needed to get to the water. They called in special equipment, but by the time they got the fire under control, the house was a total loss.

"It definitely delayed us. It's become a real problem," said Tracey Martinez, spokeswoman for the San Bernadino County Fire Department, whose firefighters now carry spare parts to access hydrants that have been tampered with, though using them can cost valuable time.

Brass parts are fetching higher prices at scrap recyclers, though a single hydrant nut is unlikely to be worth more than $10 even in the current inflated market.

Fire hydrants aren't the only target - thieves have stolen brass ornaments from graves in Chicago and West Virginia, chrome-plated brass piping from men's bathrooms at fast-food restaurants in Pennsylvania, and brass plaques from churches in Houston.(Ewwww on some of this!)

But the hydrant thefts raise unique safety concerns. Officials in Prince William County in northern Virginia recently found that nearly four dozen hydrants had been stripped of their brass nuts, rendering them inoperable.

"This is an extremely high priority concern because of the potential devastation it can cause," said Assistant Fire Chief Hadden Culp, who has never seen such a problem. "We're not used to pulling up to a hydrant and it not working."

Earlier this month, Prince William Police arrested Douglas D. Mumaw of Strasburg and charged him with larceny and obtaining money by false pretense in connection with the thefts. Authorities are asking the public to be vigilant and report any suspicious activity or tampering with hydrants.

So far, no vandalized hydrant has caused a delay in responding to a fire, Culp said.

Firefighters in Columbia, S.C., have also reported stolen hydrant parts.

John Chalk, sales manager at Kennedy Valve in Elmira, N.Y, one of the largest hydrant manufacturers, said nearly all hydrants have brass nuts that could appeal to thieves.

Prices have doubled in the last six months and are about five times as high as in 2003, said Bruce Savage, spokesman for the Washington, D.C.-based Institute of Scrap Recycling Industries.

Mark Zwilsky, owner of Potomac Metals Inc., said prices have been high in the last year or so, but still a five-pound brass hydrant nut would be worth only about $7.

Zwilsky said he's not surprised that people are stealing hydrant parts. His company has installed cameras and video equipment to help police track customers who try to sell stolen scrap.

"People are always looking for a way to make a buck," Zwilsky said.

(Cookie note: Down here in Miami, there has been a rash of thefts of copper and brass vases on burial plots-ewwwwwwwww)

My husband's work site implemented tight security because of copper and metal thieves - meth addicts.