MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Survival Recipes

I came across this list of recipes.. I can't figure out how to copy them so I can paste them here! heck I can't even figure out how to print them.. not that I want to.

I see there is a way.. but honestly... I can't see it to read it.

If anyone can figure out how to get them here.. copy and paste or perhaps in a different format.. let me know..

in the mean time some great survival/pantry recipes here using stored food items!

http://www.scribd.com/doc/2229985/Food-Storage-Recipes

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh WOW. GREAT find, Westie! This is an incredible compilation of storage food recipes. For example, there is a recipe for carrots using dried carrots! (I went WAY overboard this year. I usually dehydrate 5-8 lbs of carrots per year. This year I dehydrated over 20! I'll be visiting this recipe for sure!) Over 15 recipes for rice - inclucing rice milk.

I'm going to have to go refill an ink cartridge!

Thank you Westbrook!

Thanks. I just clicked on "download," then chose to download the PDF file to my computer. You do have to register, but they don't verify information or make you wait for them to send you a confirmation email, etc.

Thanks again for sharing this information.

I will be slowly posting the recipes to make it easier to pick and choose. I have found over the years that sites disappear and so does the great information.

I am posting but will be starting with last page first.. easier for me to copy and paste and put in.. ok, faster and easier.

better to get it from the site.. but in years to come.. it is here.

Nutty Pumpkin Raisin Dip Recipe INGREDIENTS:

* 1-1/2 cups solid-pack canned or homemade cooked pumpkin

* 1 cup peanut butter

* 1/2 cup chopped roasted peanuts

* 1/2 cup chopped raisins

* 2 Tablespoons honey * 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

* Carrots, celery sticks, apple slices, and/or graham crackers for dippers

Potato Yeast Boil one quart of Irish potatoes in three quarts of water. When done, take out the potatoes, one by one, on a fork, peel and mash them fine, in a tray, with a large iron spoon, leaving the boiling water on the stove during the process. Throw in this water a handful of hops, which must scald, not boil, as it turns the tea very dark to let the hops boil. Add to the mashed potatoes a heaping teacupful of powdered white sugar (I think that this is probably granulated sugar) and half a teacupful of salt; then slowly stir in the strained hop tea, so that there will be no lumps. When milk-warm, add a teacupful of yeast (a starter left from a previous batch, so that it will be ready sooner. Since you don't have a starter, it will take two or three days in a warm spot for this to start 'working') and pour into glass fruit jars, or large clear glass bottles to ferment, being careful not to close them tightly. Set in a warm place in winter, a cool one in summer. In six hours, it will be ready for use and at the end of that time the jar must be securely closed. This yeast will keep two weeks in winter and one week in summer

SAUSAGE, COUNTRY GRAVY 6 servings 3 Tablespoons canola oil 1/4 cup unbleached flour 2 cups reconstituted dried milk 1 teaspoon salt 1/4 teaspoon black pepper1 teaspoon sage 1 teaspoon thyme1 teaspoon onion powderBrowned TVP sausage Stir oil and flour together in a 2 quart pan. Stir in milk, salt and pepper. Whisk until bubbly. Whisk in seasonings. Add browned sausage last. Serve with biscuits or potatoes.

I do not agree with this recipe!!! I am including it.. it is a make at your OWN RISK!!!!! better to see a Ghee Recipe and can butter using the Ghee recipe then using this one.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

MARGARINE, HOME CANNED Cut 2 lb., plus 2-3 pats of High Quality Margarine into a 1 1/2 qt. pan. Melt very slowly over low heat until it bubbles down. Cover, let simmer for 5 minutes. Pour hot Margarine into hot sterilized (20 min. at 250 f) oven dried jars. Fill jar to within 1 inch of top of jar. (Be careful not to get Margarine on the rim of jar.) Wipe rims with clean damp cloth, place lids and rings on jars. After lid has popped and jar has cooled (can place in refrigerator for a short time for this), to harden, turn upside down a few times before it hardens and it will not look separated. Shake it easily. Use ONLY TOP BRANDS of Margarine. Do not use soft type, or inexpensive, or any margarine containing lard. Stores for 3 years or longer. It works for BUTTER, too. That is the recipe I found. It looked a little fractured to me, so I talked it over with a few people who have put a few more pints in the pantry than I have, and this is what we came up with. MARGARINE SUBSTITUTES Use either applesauce or pureed prunes as a substitute in your baking. A woman at church demonstrated oven canning and showed how she had been 'canning' margarine in jars with regular metal lid seal and it is good for a year on her shelves. I read on another BBS last night that someone had substituted butter flavored crisco in her recipes and that it worked great...said she couldn't tell the difference except in one instance where her tollhouse cookies came out a little greasy, but she wasn't sure she hadn't screwed up the recipe on those. I'm gonna get a little and give it a try. She says she uses it in the same amount as the recipe calls for in using margarine. Man we're all gonna have major cardiac disease if we survive this...but maybe we'll at least survive! Guess that's what counts... Crisco contains emulsifiers which are designed to give baked products it is used in a higher volume. If you use Crisco, or other shortening, in something like toll house cookies, they will be higher volume instead of flat. A pound cake will be lighter and raise more. Substitute it for direct amounts of margarine or butter. I almost always use Butter Flavor Crisco instead of margarine when baking with very good results. A post on another board said that butter and margarine can be stored in a salt water brine (make it salty enough to float an egg) in a covered crock or plastic bucket. The encyclopedia of country living tells how to do it also. I will be trying this and I think that you would have to keep a plate with a weight on top of the butter to keep it below the water level. They say that butter will keep a long time like this if it is stored in a cool place. Most grocery stores sell a powder substitute that I mix with a little extra-light olive oil, works well and can't really taste the difference

HAMBURGER, MOCK

1 C. wheat

1 can red kidney beans (or cooked beans)

1 egg

salt and pepper to taste

Cook wheat 1 hour. Blend wheat in blender then add beans and continue to blend. Add egg and salt and pepper. This can be molded into patties and fried or used in any recipe calling for hamburger.

FLOUR SUBSTITUTES

In standard recipes, one of the following may be substituted for one cup of wheat flour: 1 cup corn flour 3/4 cup coarse cornmeal 7/8 cup rice flour 1 scant cup fine cornmeal 5/8 cup potato flour There are some problems in the use of substitutes for wheat flour. The following suggestions will improve the eating quality of the final product: 1. Rice flour and cornmeal tend to have a grainy texture. A smoother texture may be obtained by mixing the rice flour or cornmeal with the liquid called for in the recipe, bringing this mixture to a boil, and cooling it before adding the other ingredients. 2. Soy flour must always be used in combination with another flour, not as the only flour in a recipe. It has no gluten, and by itself has an unappealing taste. 3. When using other than wheat flour in baking, longer and slower baking time is required. This is particularly true when the product is made without milk and eggs. 4.

Because they have little or no gluten, substitutes for wheat flour do not make satisfactory yeast breads. 5. Muffins or biscuits, when made with other than wheat flour, are of better texture if baked in small sizes. 6. Dryness is common characteristic of cakes made with flours other than wheat flours. Moisture may be preserved by frosting or storing cakes in closed containers.

COFFEE SUBSTITUTES Found at misc.survivalism In the mid 70's, there was a coffee shortage/huge price increase, and my wife and I were into the "subsistence mode". I believe we read about it in Mother Earth News, but wherever we got it, we tried roasting garbanzo beans. We voted with our feet; when coffee prices came back down, we fed the remainder of the garbanzo beans to the livestock; but they were better than nothing in the interim. The interim could last longer this time. COFFEE SUBSTITUTES FROM PLANTS AROUND US, TWO The American Beech Tree's nuts when taken out of the husks, roasted until dark and brittle, then ground, will make a fine coffee. Store this in an airtight container. They are best collected after the first hard frost when they normally drop to the ground. Once stored, they can be used all year round. You might have to fight the squirrels for them. Prepare normally. Chicory coffee - remember that blue flower with almost leafless stalks that grow just about everywhere there's a road. They look like daisy's, but their petals are blue and are squared off at the ends. The white fleshy roots, roasted until dark brown and brittle, then ground, make an excellent coffee. Prepare like coffee. Use 1-1/2 tsp. per cup of water. Store in an airtight container. Use all year round.

Can at you OWN RISK!!!! easier to just buy cheese soup or canned queso in the Mexican food isle...

CHEESE, CANNING Found at Food Storage and Supplies 1 (3 oz.) can evaporated milk 1 tablespoon vinegar 1/2 teaspoon salt 1 lb. Velveeta cheese or any yellow cheese you have on hand, I've used all kinds with good results but processed cheese is the best 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard Melt milk and cheese in double boiler. Add rest of ingredients and mix well. Place in pint jars and seal. If desired place in water boiling bath for 10 minutes. Hope you can use this recipe. Anyway Folks, I was just experimenting with this to see if I could pressure cook it. Yuck! I don't recommend it. The cheese turned brown. Like it was burnt. Otherwise, it was great. On another note, I found a #10 can of Cheddar Cheese Sauce, concentrated, in Wal-Mart. I added 32 oz. water as per the instructions. Then it called for 20 oz jalapeno, peppers removed, (I will also make a batch WITH peppers), and instead of adding the jalapeno juice I added 20 more oz. of water and salt to taste. Then I boiled my lids, filled my jars and processed in the pressure cooker for 20 minutes @ #10. My kids don't like the hot flavor to cheese but I added some jalapeno juice to a little I had left over and it was fantastic. The can said this cheese can be used for eggs, broccoli, hamburgers, hot-dogs, dipping etc... Anything you would normally use a cheese sauce for. Oh, yeah, I ended up with 10 pints.

CANNING BUTTER/MARGARINE GHEE- Melt butter in heavy saucepan over moderate heat. (I used 5 lbs.) Increase the heat after it's melted and bring the butter to a boil. When the surface is completely covered with foam, stir the butter gently and and reduce the heat to the lowest possible setting. Simmer UNCOVERED and UNDISTURBED for approx. 1 hr. or until the milk solids in the bottom of the pan have turned golden brown and the butter on top is transparent. Take off flame and let sit 5 mins. There will be a crust on top and this can be gently skimmed off with a slotted spoon. Strain the butter through a sieve lined with 4 layers cheesecloth or pc. of linen. If there are any solids in the ghee, no matter how small, strain it again until it is perfectly clear. Pour into hot sterilized oven dried jars. (250 degrees for 20 mins.) Wipe rims of jars and put on hot sterilized lids and rings. This should seal by itself. If not, I have put jars in boiling water bath for 20 mins. I have also put it in pressure canner at 8 lb. pressure for 5 min. The ghee will be a pretty yellow color. However, when it cools, it will be a light yellow opaque color and will not harden completely. I turn jars a few times before storing. This will supposedly last for 5-6 yrs.., if not longer. Should be kept Cold. This stuff is much better for you than reg. butter and will not burn if used for frying etc. as all of the solids have been strained out and the water boiled away. Believe me, it tastes GREAT spread on toast, potatoes, etc. By the way, I buy my sweet cream butter from my local dairy. 10 lb. tub runs $16 and has been freshly made. Tubs are food grade so they are good for storing dried fruits, etc. Sorry for the long post. Hope this helps you all. PS Do a search on Ghee and read the comments from doctors on the benefits of ghee. It has been used for centuries in India, etc.

BUTTER, CANNED Sterilize jars in 250 f water for 20 minutes. Dry jars in 250 f oven for 3-5 minutes. Place lids in 180 f water for 20 minutes. Melt butter over very low heat, until it bubbles down. Cover and let gently simmer for 5 minutes. Pour hot butter into hot sterilized jars. Wipe off rims with a damp cloth. Place lids and rings on jars. After lids have popped and jars have cooled, turn them upside down and shake gently to reduce separation. Store in cool dark place. As I said earlier, this is a new recipe to me, too. My dad said his mother used to can butter, but he didn't have her old recipe. Try this, but be careful. If you open a jar and it doesn't seem right to you, don't eat it. I only put up one jar this time. If it is okay after a month, I will put up more. I just wanted to start small, because this is an unproven recipe, and butter isn't as cheap as it used to be.

hope I don't to keep adding can at your own risk.. you are all smart enough to make up your own minds..

canning butter or milk or cheese is NOT recommended by the USDA...

Batter Dip

1 Egg 1/2 Cup Milk or Water 1/2 Teaspoon Salt 1/2 Cup Flour (or corn meal, use a little less water ) 1. Beat ingredients together in a mixing bowl.2. Dip fish, chicken, or meat in this mixture and fry in at least 1" of cooking oil.

PEANUT BUTTER Peanuts may be ground in their raw state or roasted first for a tasty flavor. Put them unshelled, in a 300* F oven for thirty minutes. For a fully roasted taste, leave them in the oven for sixty minutes. Allow them to cool, then remove the shells and skins. You may want to leave the skins on for their nutritional value. Next, combine 1 cup peanuts and 1 Tablespoon peanut oil. For a creamier spread, add more oil. Put the peanuts and oil in a blender or food processor and blend, stopping periodically to scrape the sides of the blender. Add a bit of salt to taste. Store your peanut butter in clean glass jars in the refrigerator. After some time, your peanut butter may begin to separate from the oil. Just stir it up and use it. You can make other simple and nutritious nut butters using the same methods, almonds and cashews for example. These particular nuts require no additional oil, they have sufficient oils of their own

Thank you so much for this!! I'm sitting here reading it, watching my pressure canner from a safe distance banana

I just want to say it's awesome how much you contribute here. Thank you!!

bouquet

PEANUT BUTTER

Peanuts may be ground in their raw state or roasted first for a tasty flavor. Put them unshelled, in a 300* F oven for thirty minutes. For a fully roasted taste, leave them in the oven for sixty minutes. Allow them to cool, then remove the shells and skins. You may want to leave the skins on for their nutritional value.

Next, combine 1 cup peanuts and 1 Tablespoon peanut oil. For a creamier spread, add more oil. Put the peanuts and oil in a blender or food processor and blend, stopping periodically to scrape the sides of the blender.

Add a bit of salt to taste.

Store your peanut butter in clean glass jars in the refrigerator. After some time, your peanut butter may begin to separate from the oil. Just stir it up and use it. You can make other simple and nutritious nut butters using the same methods, almonds and cashews for example. These particular nuts require no additional oil, they have sufficient oils of their own.

ENERGY BAR Here's one that I'd like to share if you want it. It is a good replacement for those terribly expensive Energy Bars sold in health stores. It keeps well but I can't keep them long enough in my pick up to really test the life because I eat them within two weeks.

Raisins........................1 Cup Dried Blueberries........1 Cup Dates.........................2 Cups Dried Apples..............2 Cups Prunes.......................2 Cups Dried Apricots............2 Cups Sunflower Seeds.......1/2 Cup Rolled Oats................8 Cups Pancake Mix..............12 Oz. Almond Paste or Peanut Butter............1 Can, 8 Oz. Honey.......................16 Oz. 1. Dice all of the fruit to the same size as the raisins. 2. Add fruit and almond paste or peanut butter to a large mixing bowl and knead. 3. Add sunflower seeds, rolled oats, and pancake mix and knead. 4. Add the honey and knead till all is mixed well. 5. Press the mix into a baking tin (cookie sheets work well) 3/8" to 1/2" thick and as even as possible. 6. Bake in a conventional oven at 375 degrees for about 20 min. or until the top is a light brown. 7. Remove from oven and allow to cool, then turn out on a large cutting board and cut into individual servings. NOTE: These energy bars will keep in the freezer for a very long time, allowing you to make up a batch some time before you plan a trip or have need for them. For convenience they may be individually wrapped in foil or plastic wrap.

Emergency Survival Bar * 3 C. cereal (oatmeal, cornmeal, or wheat flakes) * 1/4 tsp. salt * 3 T. honey * 2 1/2 C. powdered milk * 1 C. sugar * 1/2 C. Jello (optional) * 1/4 C. water * add raisons if you like Place all dry ingredients except Jello in a bowl. Bring water, honey, and Jello to a boil. Add to dry ingredients. Mix well. Add water a little at a time until mixture is just moist enough to mold. Place in a small square dish and dry in the oven under very low heat. Wrap and store. This will make 2 bars, each containing approx. 1000 calories or enough food for one day. These will store for a long time if they are cooked until quite dry, and are excellent for emergency packs, etc. Eat dry, or cooked in about 3/4 C. water.

Textured Vegetable Protein is a soy product also known as TSP or Textured Soy Protein. Our customers enjoy it as a flavorful alternative to ham or bacon. You can use Mi Hamy in an omelette, in Eggs Benedict, in soup, on pizza, in pasta, in a sandwich (BLT), in a casserole, on a baked potato or you can use it as a substitute in any ham and bacon recipe. Recipe Yields 1 Gallon Mix together the following ingredients for the Marinade: 3 3/4 cup hot water 1/2 cup (vegetarian) chicken consomme - legout 6 tablespoons yellow mustard 9 tablespoons brown sugar (or your favorite sugar alternative) 1 tablespoon garlic powder 1 tablespoon onion powder 1/4 teaspoon cloves - ground 2 tablespoons liquid smoke 6 tablespoons soy sauce 1 teaspoon red food coloring Then add: 3 quarts TVP - large chunks Mix well. Leave 2" of space at top of container to allow for expansion.Can be refrigerated for 34 days or stored in freezer up to 6 months.

Archived