MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Survival Recipes

Old Fashioned Hardtack Candy * 2 C. sugar * 3/4 C. corn syrup * 1 C. water Mix and cook to 270 degrees F. or hard brittle stage with threads as it falls in cool water. Remove from the heat and add food coloring as desired and 1/2 tsp. flavoring (cinnamon, peppermint, etc.). Pour into a buttered dish and cool. Break into pieces and roll in powdered sugar.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whole Wheat Oatmeal Cookies * 2 eggs * 1 tsp. vanilla * 1 C. butter * 3/4 C. honey * 1/2 C. pure maple syrup or honey * 1/2 C. fructose or sugar * 1/2 C. chopped nuts * 3 1/2 C. whole wheat flour * 1/2 tsp. salt * 1 tsp. baking soda * 1 tsp. baking powder * 4 1/2 C. rolled oats * 1/2 C. carob or chocolate chips Cream all wet ingredients together. Add to the dry ingredients and blend well. Add carob chips and nuts last. Stir. If the dough is too sticky, add 1/2 C. more flour and 1/2 C. more oats. Drop by spoonfuls onto an ungreased cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees F. for 15 minutes. Do not overcook.

Hurricane Oatmeal Cake * 1 C. oatmeal * 1 1/4 C. boiling water * 2 eggs * 1 C. sugar * 1 C. brown sugar * 1/2 C. oil * 1 1/2 C. flour * 1tsp. baking soda * 1 tsp. salt * 1 tsp. cinnamon Combine oatmeal and boiling water. Set aside. Beat together eggs, sugars, and oil until blended. Add sifted flour, soda, salt and cinnamon. Add in oatmeal mixture. Mix all and pour into a greased 9x13 pan. Bake 30-35 minutes at 350 degrees F. Topping: * 1 C. coconut * 6 T. melted margarine * 1/4 C. evaporated milk * 1 C. brown sugar * 1/3 C. chopped pecans or walnuts Heat all ingredients together in a small saucepan until blended. Spread over cake and broil until crunchy, about 2 minutes

Westie, thanks so much for posting these. thanks I'm saving them all... especially the salves and other remedies. What a find!! :cool1:

I have a couple of questions. I am trying to eat low carb as much as possible due to food allergies etc. So much of a low carb diet is fresh foods and so much of prep foods is high carb. sassing Has this issue been addressed on the site to your knowledge? I would love to know if others are facing this dilemma and how they are solving the problem.

Also, we are fortunate enough to have a butter churn turned by DH's great grandfather who was a potter. Do you know of any threads that address making butter? help

I would love to know how your canned butter turns out!! canning

Carr,

Are you allergic to wheat or something like that? I'm allergic to wheat and corn. So, my prep recipes are things that include other grains such as barley, oats, buckwheat and rice.

If your carbs are balanced with proteins, they shouldn't be an issue. I am diabetic and need to not eat a lot of potatoes and rice, but grains such as buckwheat or oats take longer to digest and don't make the blood sugar spike up. If eaten with a little bit of protein, these can make a meal along with a serving of fruit and veggies.

Westie..thanks for the salve recipes. They are great.

Originally Posted By: JCK88
Carr,
Are you allergic to wheat or something like that? I'm allergic to wheat and corn. So, my prep recipes are things that include other grains such as barley, oats, buckwheat and rice.

If your carbs are balanced with proteins, they shouldn't be an issue. I am diabetic and need to not eat a lot of potatoes and rice, but grains such as buckwheat or oats take longer to digest and don't make the blood sugar spike up. If eaten with a little bit of protein, these can make a meal along with a serving of fruit and veggies.

Hey Judy, yes, corn and glutten issues. I'm really just getting started in sorting it all out and have a wonderful doctor who is helping. He certainly beleives in eating as close to nature as possible and has done 30 years of research to back up his findings. Too detailed to go into here, but he wrote a book called "The Genesis Strategy" that details how our foods play such vital rolls in every aspect of our bodies ... ie: hormones, thyroid, blood sugar, etc.

I've had some severe health issues over the years, and eliminating grains etc. seem to play a big part in my getting healthy. I'm just trying to figure out how I'm going to stock what I eat when what I eat is not easily stockable. It's not that I can't EVER eat these things ... I'm just supposed to restrict them as much as possible.

Thanks for your incite. Any help you and others can give is so appreciated. I'm really trying to follow your advice and do what is best for my family ... which is spread across the country!!

In other words ... loveplace

Apple Fritters (Dried Foods) * 3 C. flour * 1/3 C. dried egg powder * 1 1/2 C. milk * 4 tsp. baking powder * 1 1/2 tsp. salt * 2 tsp. sugar * 2 T. oil * 1/4 C. water * 1 C. dried apple slices (reconstituted) Sift together dry ingredients. Combine milk, oil, and water. Add to dry ingredients, mix well until moistened. Chop rehydrated apple slices and add to the batter. Mix. Heat 2" of oil in a skillet and drop batter by spoonfuls into hot oil. Fry, turning once until brown. Drain on a paper towel. *Note* Reconstituted sweet corn can be added in place of apples to make corn fritters.

Bread Pudding (Pioneer Recipe) Pudding: * 1 egg * 1/2 C. soft bread crumbs * 1 1/4 C. milk * 1 T. honey * 1 T. sugar * 1/4 tsp. each, cinnamon and nutmeg * dash of salt Sauce: * 3 C. water * 1 C. sugar * 1/4 C. flour * 1/4 C. water * 1T. butter * cinnamon, vanilla, salt Beat egg. Combine with other ingredients. Put in a pudding dish or custard cups. Set in a larger pan of hot water. Bake slowly at 300 degrees F. for 25 minutes. Serve with sauce. To make the sauce, melt the sugar in a pan. Add 3 C. water and dissolve by heating to boiling. Thicken it with a flour paste made from 1/4 C. flour and 1/4 C. water. Add 1 T. butter and cinnamon, vanilla, and salt to taste. Pour over pudding.

CHOCOLATE SNACK CAKE 1 2/3 cups all purpose flour 1 cup packed brown sugar ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa 1 teaspoon baking soda ½ teaspoon salt 1 cup water 1/3 cup oil 1 teaspoon vinegar ½ teaspoon vanilla Mix dry ingredients. Stir in liquid ingredients completely. Pour into an ungreased 8inch square pan. Bake at 350°F for 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool. Dust with powdered sugar just before serving. Applesauce Cake: Omit cocoa and vanilla. Stir 1 ½ teaspoons ground allspice into the flour mixture. Reduce water to ½ cup and stir in ½ cup applesauce. Chocolate Chip: Omit cocoa and vanilla. Stir in 1/3 cup chopped nuts into flour mixture. Sprinkle 1/3 cup mini chocolate chips over the batter in pan. Double Chocolate: Sprinkle ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips over the batter in pan. Maple Nut: Omit cocoa and vanilla. Stir ½ cup chopped pecans into the flour mixture and ½ teaspoon maple extract in with the water.

Eat-More Bars Recipe 1 cup honey 2 cups chocolate chips 1/2 cup peanut butter 1 1/2 cups bran 1 1/2 cups peanuts -- chopped Melt first three ingredients, then add bran, then peanuts. Place in a lightly greased 9" x 13" pan

Peanut Butter Snap, Crackle And Pop * * * * * 3/4 cup powdered sugar 1/2 cup powdered milk 1 cup peanut butter 1/2 square margarine (about 1/2 cup) 1 1/2 cups rice krispies

Mix powdered milk and powdered sugar thoroughly. Add peanut butter and melted margarine. Stir in rice krispies. Form into walnut-size pieces. For an added treat, dip in chocolate.

Tootsie Rolls * 1 cup honey * 1 tsp vanilla * 1/2 cup cocoa * 1 cup non-instant powdered milk Cook honey to 255 degrees (hard ball). Do not overcook. Remove from heat. Add vanilla. Mix cocoa and powdered milk well and stir into honey. Pull like taffy until gloss is gone . Roll into rolls.

Oh Harry Bars * 1/2 cup melted margarine * 1/2 cup corn syrup * 1 cup brown sugar * 1 tsp vanilla * 1/2 cup peanut butter * 4 cups oats * 1ea 6 oz package chocolate chips Mix together the first 5 ingredients. Heat until dissolved. Stir in oats and chips. Press into 9 x 13 inch pan. Bake at 350 deg. for 15 minutes. Don’t overbake. Cut in bars.

Pinto Bean Fudge * 1 cup cooked soft pinto beans (drained and mashed) * 1/4 cup milk * 1 Tbsp vanilla * 6 oz. unsweetened chocolate * 6 Tbsp butter or margarine * 2lbs. powdered sugar * nuts (optional) In a large bowl stir beans and milk together, adding enough milk to resemble mashed potatoes; stir in vanilla. Melt chocolate and butter and stir in bean mixture. Gradually stir in powdered sugar. Knead with hands to get it well blended. Spread into lightly buttered 9-inch baking dish or form into 1-1/2 inch rolls. Chill 1-2 hours.

Honey Mints * 1 cup warm honey * 4 drop oil of peppermint * green food coloring * 2 3/4 cups powdered milk (non-instant) Mix ingredients and knead until all the milk is absorbed.

Date Filled Wheat Cookies Makes 3 dozen * 1 cup shortening * 2 cups brown sugar * 2 eggs * 1/4 to 1/2 cup water * 1 tsp vanilla * 1 tsp salt * 1 tsp baking soda * 1/4 tsp cinnamon * 2 cups wheat flour * 1 1/2 cups white flour Cream shortening and sugar. Add eggs and vanilla. Mix dry ingredients in another bowl. Alternate dry ingredients and water. Shape dough into 2 rolls about 2 inches in diameter. Refrigerate. FILLING: * 2 cups chopped dates or raisins * 3/4 cup water * 1/2 cup chopped nuts Combine dates, sugar and water. Cook over low heat until thick. Remove from heat and stir in nuts. Cool. Slice dough into thin slices and place on cookie sheet; top with tsp of filling and place another round on top. Do not need to pinch down. Bake on ungreased cookie sheet at 375 deg. for 10-12 minutes.

Orange Julius Makes 3-6oz. servings * 2 cups orange juice (or Tang) * 2 Tbsp sugar * 1/2 cup powdered sugar * 1/2 tsp vanilla * 1/2 cup crushed ice Put all ingredients in a blender and blend until ice is totally crushed.

Really Good Pinto Bean Pie * 1/2 cup granulated sugar * 1 cup brown sugar, packed * 2 eggs beaten * 1/2 cup butter * 1 heaping cup mashed, cooked pinto beans * 1 unbaked 9-inch pie shell * whipped topping or ice cream Beat until creamy the granulated sugar, brown sugar, eggs and butter. Add pinto beans; blend well. Pour into unbaked pie shell and bake at 375 deg. for 20 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 deg. and bake an additional 25 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Serve with whipped topping or a scoop of ice cream

Wheat and Raisin Chocolate Chip Cookies Makes 6 Dozen * 1 12/ cups margarine or shortening * 1 1/2 cups firmly packed brown sugar * 1 1/2 cups sugar * 2 tsp vanilla * 4 eggs * 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour * 2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour * 1/2 tsp salt * 2 Tbsp hot water * 1 cup chopped nuts * 1 cup raisins * 1ea 12oz. package chocolate chips Preheat oven to 350 deg. Beat margarine in a large bowl until soft. Gradually add sugars, beating until light and fluffy. Add vanilla. Add eggs one at a time, beating well. Blend both kinds of flour and salt on a sheet of wax paper. Gradually add flour mixture to sugar mixture, beating at low speed until well mixed. Dissolve baking soda in hot water and add to flour-sugar mixture. Stir in nuts, raisins and chocolate chips. Using 1 generous Tbsp of dough for each cookie, place on greased cookie sheet. Bake at 350 deg. for 12 minutes. Allow to cool.

Choclate Chip Oatmeal Cookies Makes 3 dozen

1 cup melted shortening, butter, margarine

2/3 cup granulated sugar

2/3 cup brown sugar, packed

2 eggs

1 tsp vanilla

1 1/2 cups flour, scooped and leveled

1/2 tsp soda

1 Tbsp hot water

2 cups rolled oats

1ea 6oz. package chocolate chips

1/2 cup nuts, coarsely chopped

In large bowl, cream shortening; add sugars and cream until fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Add flour salt and soda that has been dissolved in hot water; blend. Stir in rolled oats, chocolate chips and nuts. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto ungreased baking sheet about 1 1/2 inches apart. Bake at 375 deg. for 10 minutes or until barely brown and still a little puffy. For crisper cookies, bake until cookies flatten. Variation:Coconut, raisins, and or peanuts may be added to this basic cookie dough. Or, 1 cup coarsely grated carrots, cooked in 2 Tbsp boiling water for 5 minutes may be added

Rice Pudding Makes 8 servings * 3 eggs * 2 Tbsp honey * 6 Tbsp sugar * 1/2 tsp nutmeg * 1 tsp cinnamon * 1/2 tsp vanilla * 1 cup milk (2/3 cup non-fat dry milk to 2/3 cup water) * 1 1/2 cups cooked rice * 1/2 cup raisins Beat eggs. Add sugar and spices. Mix well. Stir in vanilla, milk, rice and raisins. Place in a 2 quart casserole dish. Bake at 350 deg. for 45 minutes. Stir after 25 minutes.

Crunchy Wheat Pie Crust * 1 1/3 cup Crunchy wheat cereal crumbs * 2 Tbsp sugar * 1/3 cup melted margarine Using the finer crumbs sifted from the crunchy wheat cereal, combine all of the ingredients, mix well and press firmly against sides and bottom of pie tin. Pour filling into shell and refrigerate until firmly set. Variations of pie recipes: Choclate Cream Pie * 1 Tbsp cocoa * 1/2 tsp vanilla Make as for lemon cream pie except add cocoa and vanilla to wheat mixture at the end of cooking time. Eliminate lemonade Kool-aid. Coconut Cream Pie * 1 Tbsp small cracked wheat * 1/4 tsp coconut flavoring (or to taste) Make as for lemon pie except add small cracked wheat (tastes like coconut when finished) to water and wheat flour mixture before cooking. Add coconut flavoring when all ingredients are mixed together. Pudding * 1/4 cup milk The lemon, chocolate and coconut cream pie fillings make an excellent pudding by adding 1/4 cup milk and putting in blender and beating slightly.

Amazing Lemon Cream Pie (or Pudding) * 1 cup water * dash of salt * 1/2 cup water * 1/3 cup wheat flour * 1/3 cup dry milk powder * 2/3 cup sugar * 1/2 cup water * 1 Tsp knox gelatin (1/3 envelope) * 1 pack lemonade kool-aid (without sugar) Bring the cup of water and salt to a boil . Make a paste with 1/2 water and flour. Slowly pour mixture into boiling water, stirring constantly. Let cook on low heat for 78 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat. In a small mixing bowl combine dry milk powder, sugar, and 1/2 cup cold water. Set aside. Soften gelatin in water, put on low heat and stir until dissolved. Add gelatin to milk mixture and stir until thoroughly mixed. To this add Kool-aid. Mix until dissolved. Combine with cooked wheat and mix well. Pour into 8 inch Crunchy Wheat pie crust and serve with whipped topping

Missionary Candy * 1/2 cup margarine * 1/2 cup honey * 1/2 cup brown sugar * 1 1/4 cups oatmeal * 1/2 cup toasted wheat germ * 1/3 sesame seeds * 1 cup flaked coconut * 1 tsp cinnamon * 1 cup walnuts, chopped * 1/2 cup dried apricots or other dried fruit Combine margarine, honey, and sugar in pan and heat. Stir in remaining ingredients. Spread in 9 x 13 pan. Bake at 350 deg. for about 25 minutes, stirring 2 or 3 times. turn onto greased foil. Break into pieces.

Archived