MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cat

Red Flags for a Looming Crisis - PART 6

I picked up 100 lbs of rock salt today at Ace Hardware. The manager said they had gotten their rock salt in, however the main office told them to expect a price increase with the next order.

Also picked up a 5lb bag of flour (if I had not needed it I would have left it there). $5.19 for a 5lb bag of flour !!! eek

Campy,

Prices are probably not going to get any lower. I'm gonna be a bit bossy, but get your behind down to a wholesaler (Costco, Winco, wherever) and buy a 25lb bag of flour or two, or three, or . . .

Better yet, get yourself some wheat berries and a grinder!

5lbs won't last any length of time.

Okay, lecture over.

This afternoon I was running errands and decided to top off my gas tank in the van. Much to my surprise there was a sign posted on the pumps saying there was a limit of 15 gallons per customer per day. eek

Thankfully I only need 13 gallons ($50+) being a good prepper girl. But, that really surprised me, like where did that come from? shrug

Hubby got called to go to work earlier this morning when he usually goes to the bank and gets money around noon to leave in the evening and fills up his truck at the same time. So we had 30 minutes to get him packed and to the bank for money, but when he got to the gas station in our small town , there was no fuel shrug So he had 1/4th tank and when he got to another town he finally found some and filled up. We have done this for nearly 27 years and this was the first time he had trouble finding fuel the day he leaves. We forgot we have been out several times at these gas stations since the 2 hurricanes. If we'd thought we could of put our 5-gal cans of gasoline in his truck b/f he left. Oh well, we've learned now we need to fill up a day or 2 b/f he has to leave. whistling Which has not been a problem b/f now. We usually fill up in Alexandria, a larger town away from here and fill all our cans up at the same time. Only use the stations in this small town when we didn't make it to larger town. haveniceday

This is a big red flag for me. Every so often I see produce on Craigslist, and for a small donation you get a big bag of corn, peppers, tomatos or what ever the lady has extra and cant use before it goes bad. I saw she posted today and I emailed her. Mind you, the posting was only listed for about 3 hours from the time I saw it. She emailed me back and asked if I were in desperate need for the food. She said she has been INUNDATED with emails after mine from people saying they were in dire need of the produce. I wrote her back and told her no, I was not desperate and to let those that are have it. I live in an upper middle class to very wealthy (other side of town lol) neighborhood, this is a big sign for me.

Red flag #1: Dh was at athletic club on treadmill watching stuff about economy on tv...older fellow next to him started talking about how he couldn't understand how people cannot see the signs and are not getting ready. He also told dh how he has his supplies for him and his wife and he getting ready for the hard times to come....he doesn't really know dh...just seen him around the club...and we live in what would be considered a fairly affluent area...I have never had anyone just speak up about it around here.

Red flag #2: Last night dh was at his mom's talking to her about putting aside food, etc... He has always just let me do what I want to do...but never have I seen him talk to anyone about it...

Red flag #3: Dh asked me to get info about the closest shooting range. eek He has always been against having guns in the house...

Originally Posted By: Darlene
Hersheys is now eliminating cocoa butter from alot of their chocolates. By law, they will hafta rename it from being "milk chocolate" to things like "chocolate candy, chocolate flavored", etc...

I know y'all think I'm nuts but I've always said stock up on cocoa.

No offense everyone, but does Hershey really qualify as "chocolate" in the first place?

Just had to post DH's response to me telling him about the chocolate "crisis." (for those 1984 fans out there...)

I hear they’re increasing our ration to 25%. 

OK----Boss just called and he was in a coin shop today, the guys that own it he has known for a long time. They have been in business forever, over 30 years.

They told him if you want a bag of silver ( pre-1960) coins there is now a 2-3 month waiting list.

They are selling everything as fast as they get it in.

So just a note if you want coins buy now if you can.

went to get my emission and my new tag for my SUV today. While I was standing in line at the tag office, so many people were animated and talking together (usually in the big city we ignore each other winkgrin ). What was everyone talking about?

Guess! smile

"I went to 9 gas stations before I found gas, 9 gas stations!"

"I don't know what's happening, but its scary."

"I'm embarrased to be an American. I'd love to move to New Zealand but they won't let people in."

"I looked at a short sale in a neighborhood and there were only 2 people living in there, and there were 19 houses! You take a chance buying in a neighborhood like that, but everything will be fine, the market will turn aroud quickly."

Uhm, yeah.

It was interesting to hear all of these people being not so sheeple-y clap Well, I wouldn't bank on that real estate comment, but I'm glad people are at least waking up, bit by bit.

Now, whether or not they are buying preps, is another story, I was just glad some were actually discussing it. Oftentimes I feel like I'm brickwall when I coyly wink ask people if they've heard the lastest news. So many people either aren't informed, or they are scared to talk about it, as if talking about it will give their fears life. I like to talk about it, its a way of venting and problem solving for me, thinking outloud if you will.

May the Lord bless us all!!! And may we be able to bless others with our knowledge, and peace of mind. That peace of mind is going to be worth millions one day. wink

bighug

Originally Posted By: BiscuitMaker
OK----Boss just called and he was in a coin shop today, the guys that own it he has known for a long time. They have been in business forever, over 30 years.
They told him if you want a bag of silver ( pre-1960) coins there is now a 2-3 month waiting list.
They are selling everything as fast as they get it in.
So just a note if you want coins buy now if you can.

Biscuit, I thought I read it was pre-1964...does this mean I've been saving the wrong coins?

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5i2xof6a...-N711QD93EJ2U00

US Mint suspends sale of 24-karat gold coins

By MARTIN CRUTSINGER – 4 hours ago

WASHINGTON (AP) — The U.S. Mint is temporarily halting sales of its popular American Buffalo 24-karat gold coins because it can't keep up with soaring demand as investors seek the safety of gold amid economic turbulence.

Mint spokesman Michael White said Friday that the sales were being suspended because demand for the coins, which were first introduced in 2006, has exceeded supply and the Mint's inventory of the coins has been depleted.

The Mint had to temporarily suspend sales of its American Eagle one-ounce gold coins on Aug. 15 and then later that month announced sales of the American Eagle coins would resume under an allocation program to designated dealers.

White said the Mint expected to soon start distributing available Buffalo gold coins through a similar allocation program.

Through Thursday, the day the Mint suspended sales of the American Buffalo, the Mint had sold 164,000 of the coins this year, up 54 percent from the same period a year ago.

"People are scared. Gold has become a safe haven," said Michael Maroney, a vice president of sales at gold dealer Monex Precious Metals in Newport Beach, Calif.

Maroney said that demand for the one-ounce American Eagle coins was "through the roof." He said Monex still had American Buffalos available Friday because the company had recently stocked up on them.

With the financial crisis gripping markets in recent weeks, investors have rushed to safe havens such as gold and Treasury securities. Demand for three-month Treasury bills last week pushed their yields down sharply to levels not seen in decades.

Investment advisers, however, caution that the volatility often seen in gold prices could make investments in this area more of a risky decision if gold prices suddenly begin to fall sharply.

As the financial crisis unfolded in the past few weeks, American Gold Exchange Inc. saw demand for coins go up about 50 percent, according to Bill Musgrave, a vice president of the Austin, Texas-based gold dealer.

The Mint introduced the American Buffalo gold coin, the country's first 24-karat gold coin, in 2006. Congress authorized production of the coin in an effort to capture a portion of the global market for pure gold coins, competing with such coins as the Canadian Maple Leaf.

A couple of similar stories:

http://www.usatoday.com/money/markets/2008...old-coins_N.htm

http://www.forbes.com/reuters/feeds/reut...N-UDPATE-1.html

My apartment management is having an officer of our fire department come and give an earthquake/fire preparedness seminar on Oct. 7th.

I've mentioned before the two new neighborhoods that were built or in the process of being built a year ago.

The one in the process has 15 houses, and about 10 blocks all ready to build on. Roads put in. Electric. Just waiting for hte houses to go up. Of the 15 houses, half have sold. The bank won't give the builder any more money till all the houses have sold. No more houses have been built in the last year.

The other little neighborhood is even sadder.

One dead end street. 15 pretty homes. Four sold in the last year. The others have just sat there, empty. The builder has done everything to sell those homes. Free Sunday barbecues. Price reductions. Still those houses wouldn't sell.

Yesterday I was driving by that new little street, and looked down it like I always do to see if there were fewer For Sale signs.

There were not only the same amount of For Sale signs, but a new sign had been added.

"Builder Liquidation Sale. Severe price reductions."

frown

Our town was the place to build, so we've had many many new neighborhoods going up. Until last year, the houses were snatched up immediately.

Realtors are saying that sales for existing homes is sludgy. Sales for new homes is almost non-existant.

I feel so badly for those two builders. frown

I went to the local farm and home supply store today. I was shocked eek when I was looking for lids and rings, the shelves were empty. I asked if they had any more in the back and the saleslady told me that they had ordered but only got 1/3 of the stuff in. She also told me that this spring people who had never gardened before were buying seeds and asking what to do with them. And this year the store had record sales of chicks (6 at a time, which is the limit in some towns.)and goats for milk and meat.

For everyone who is on Medicare and uses Part D prescription coverage, costs of premium will jump in 2009.

( Funny thing is I have silverscript and after two yrs of decent small copays, I got hammered with the fact that I would have to pay 2500$ per yr. on prescription drugs I have to take. This would mean turning my whole check over to the drug store pharmacy counter for three months and part of it on the fourth...... )

How does one live that way? I am blessed in some ways being a veteran. I can get my meds with either very little to none copays. So thats what I do.

I know there are many folks on medicare, and this article has stunned me.

Medicare officials advise seniors to shop around By KEVIN FREKING, Associated Press Writer

Thu Sep 25, 3:21 PM ET

WASHINGTON - Federal health officials encouraged Medicare participants on Thursday to shop around for their prescription drug coverage next year because it could include significant price increases or changes regarding which drugs the plans will cover.

ADVERTISEMENT

Overall, the landscape for prescription drug coverage won't look dramatically different next year. The typical beneficiary will still have dozens upon dozens of plans to choose from, but most people will see an increase in their monthly premiums if they stay with the same insurer.

For those enrolled in the 10 most popular drug plans, the cost increases will range from 8 percent to as much as 64 percent, according to an analysis by Avalere Health, a consulting firm.

The monthly premium for the most popular Medicare Part D plan, the AARP Medicare Rx Preferred Plan, will increase 15 percent, from $32 to $37. The next most popular plans come from Humana Inc. The premium for the standard Humana plan will go up 60 percent, from about $25 to $40, while the premium for the enhanced Humana plan will go up from about $23 to $38.

Still, the vast majority of participants will have access to prescription drug coverage for the same amount or for less than they're paying now. They will, however, have to do some searching to find those offerings, said Kerry Weems, acting administrator for the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services.

"The engine behind Part D is choice and competition," Weems said.

The nation's 44 million Medicare beneficiaries can choose a drug plan only, or they can choose to get all of their health benefits through a Medicare Advantage plan. The drug-only plans offering standard coverage will rise from $27 to $32 next year, on average. Meanwhile, Medicare Advantage plans will rise from $18 to $21 on average, CMS officials said. The federal government provides much larger subsidies for the latter option. Also, the poor are eligible for drug coverage with no monthly premiums.

Medicare participants can begin enrolling in drug coverage for next year from Nov. 15 through Dec. 31.

___

On the Net:

Medicare Drug Plan information: http://www.cms.hhs.gov/PrescriptionDrugCovGenIn

furious

I know most of you do not live in the SE and do not personally live with the gas shortage problems, but let me tell ya...

initially it seemed OK, gas stations would have gas in them, they'd be very busy, but no lines, and the next day, they'd be emptied out. We were making it, things weren't perfect but they weren't too stressful.

But it just seems to be things are getting a little chaotic. I told my DH that I would NOT go to a gas station where the cars were all angled in at various angles, packed w/ cars, I can't even think of a good way to describe it besides chaotic. It was not orderly at all, and that is exactly the kind of situation I want to stay away from before somebody brings out their fists or 9m.

There was actually a family that didn't make it to our congregation because they didn't have enough gas and couldn't find gas near them...

How are businesses faring with this shortage? Makes me think food & other things could be getting a little scarce here shortly...

I am worried about the gas shortages in the SE. We have a long planned vacation to Fl coming up in 2 weeks. We live in IL, and I am terrified that we won't be able to get gas while driving through TN, GA and northern FL. Dh laughed today and said it would be ironic if we couldn't find gas to come home. I DIDN'T laugh.

I just don't understand how that can't get enough gas down there. Where is it going if not there???

Blessings,

Carie

Closing this one because it's gotten so long...

On to the next...

Link to Part 7