MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cat

Red Flags for a Looming Crisis - PART 6

The cable company probably does know what they are doing, I think it was just the customer service rep who was clueless. My question wasn't on her script.

I know what you mean, MommaDogs, about the targeted marketing. I'm sure it is likely that kind of functionality being rolled out for EMS alerts. Not a bad thing!

I guess I'm just more sensitive these days. There has been a general sense by many on the board that "something" is likely to happen in the fall of this year. I really stepped up my prep planning in the spring, with a feeling that I really had to get as much ready as possible by the end of summer. Now that summer is almost over, I think I'm wound a tad tight, KWIM?

Originally Posted By: Tracie
I really ought to contemplate raising chickens again. It really wasn't that hard. It's just a daily commitment, and I have too many of those.

Well, I have to admit that while the peeps were cheep, they are going to have to lay a LOT of eggs before we re-coop our investment.

We are building a pretty egg-stravagant hen house.

Originally Posted By: Cricket
Now that summer is almost over, I think I'm wound a tad tight, KWIM?

I'm definitely wound tight, feeling like something big will happen this Fall. I'm trying to prep as hard and as fast as I can, because we just started on this journey, so it isn't a way of life for us yet.

I find myself getting bent out of shape at little things. Yesterday, the FedEx man couldn't find my road, so instead of calling to get directions they sent the package back to the facility. Fed Ex xhas delivered a BUNCH of packages here in just the last month, and now that something critical is coming, they can't find the house! I was thinking, "I don't have time for this! That package has my water filter in it! If something happens today, I'll never get it!"

I feel like I'm sitting on pins and needles, waiting for Sept 13 to come and go, then I'll likely breathe a small sigh of relief. But I won't take a break on the prepping at that point. My goal is to have 2 years of staples on hand, plus enough seeds and animals for sustainability, and I am SO FAR from that goal that I have to remind myself to not worry, God brought me to this by showing me that I need to prep recently, and He'll see me through whatever comes. I just have to be a good steward of my time and resources through it. So I set goals- 1 month, 3 months, 6 months, and the like. So I'm working on small goals to get to a big one. I just have to keep my eyes on the small goals instead of how far I am from the big goal.

7 years and one day is a very significant date in the Muslim religion. Many believe we will endure a terrorist attack of a different type than 9/11 on the twelfth. Of course, it's all speculation, but I believe attacks are lined up after the two thwarted DNC convention attacks we've already seen happen, plus the thwarted school attack in TX.

None of those have had much press coverage, so you might not know about them.

Momof7, when I freeze individual servings they seem to get lost or forgotten. We are both retired, more or less, so we just try to eat the stuff up. Sometimes, I fix it a little different so we have more variety. Don't usually need to eat the 4th time.

I saw a red flag the other day. Walmart and the red cross has a table right when you come in the store that has a big sign about prepareing, and on the table a bunch of suggested items to add to a disaster kit. there were flashlights, batteries, pain and allergy meds, first aid kits, blankets, toilet paper, bottled water, canned food and so on. I watched for a bit and it caught peoples attention, severla people walked up to the table. I dont know if they though "haha stupid preppers...the gov. will take care of us" or did they think "wow, I really should get these things! you never know..." It made me wsh I was a reporter and that I could ask people what they thought about prepping. Just to see where the general population lies, but I also know that any avid prepper will say somthing like "mind your own beeswax, punk!" and keep going before I could ask any real questions. lol

Anyway, here is the picture i took with my phone. As you can see they could have put a little more effort into the display and maybe having someone manning the table to answert questions, and make suggeestions, but still, It is definately a step in the right direction.

The grocery store here sells disater packs, but they are SOOOO expensive and you can do so much better buying things individually. I wish we had a surplus store in town. As it is, we don't even have a doughnut shop. lol well, lack of doughnuts is a good thing, my thighs love doughnuts, and I don't need to store food there!

THanks for the links about rad-meters and such, I found that very thought proviking and informative. THere werte a few things that i had not considered mention in the scenario.

1190-SSPX0313.jpg

That table looks just like the one that our Walmart had at the beginning of summer. I picked up one of the brochures that were on the table, but the ironic part was that I had gone to Walmart that day to pick up some space blankets, a flashlight and some other BOB supplies.

There weren't any brochures, I hope people took them and decided to start prepping!

Why is "seven years and one day" significant in Islam?

Thanks, Pricklypear

Originally Posted By: Grace&Violets
That table looks just like the one that our Walmart had at the beginning of summer. I picked up one of the brochures that were on the table, but the ironic part was that I had gone to Walmart that day to pick up some space blankets, a flashlight and some other BOB supplies.

One of the newsgroups I subscribe to mentioned that the SURVIVAL BLANKETS/SPACE BLANKETS tended to fall apart after about a year. The blankets broke/separated on the fold lines. What they suggested was to take and refold the blankets into 4" - 6" squares and to avoid refolding them on a previous fold line. This apparently took care of the problem.

Won't they just fall apart on the NEW foldlines then? It sounds like they're too fragile to keep for longterm - maybe they should be replaced on a yearly basis????

Alabama Emergency publications:

Emergency Preparedness for Dogs: http://www.aces.edu/pubs/docs/U/UNP-0055/

STAR, featuring the Bounce Back Bag: http://www.aces.edu/pubs/docs/U/UNP-0071/UNP-0071.pdf

contents of BBB:

Mini first-aid kit

Rubbing alcohol

Sunscreen

Small radio

Matches

Flashlight with extra batteries

Washcloth and towel

Deodorant

Toothpaste/toothbrush

Lip balm or moisturizer

Feminine supplies

Resealable storage bags

Emergency I.D. and other personal papers

Patient Information (EPI) health card

Immunization record

Socks

Change of underwear

Disposable diapers

Pet food

Mace

Bible/spiritual material

Writing journal and pen

Plastic eating utensils

High-energy foods

Peanut butter

Pocket knife

Bottled water (at least 3 16 oz.-bottles)

Nonperishable food or Meals-Ready-to-Eat

phone or telephone calling card

including rolls of quarters and dimes

Credit card(s)

school backpack for storage of items

I checked one of the "space" type blankets in my BOB and it was fine. My Mom sent them around y2k and I still had them in the van. LOL I am sure it was a dollar store variety and had been through gobs of heat and freezing being in the van. Maybe different companies hold up better. I hope the 2 new ones I bought hold up as well.

open them up, lay them flat and refold with new creases and see if any of the space blanket material cracks and splits, they keep better if you change the fold pattern. But if any are worn out from exposure to heat and cold this long, as you have said, this is a simple test to see if they are really ok.

Two things....

One..Another bank failed... I work at a bank, so we were notified of this last week..http://www.fdic.gov/bank/individual/failed/integrity.html

Two..I was watching a show with my 3 year old on Noggin, and it was talking about how you need to watch for "the signs" and prep even if others aren't. Of course this was prepping for a long winter, but it still the message was there. In the show, the other families went about their business and only one family stored food and supplies, and when winter came, everyone was reliant on them and the work they had done. I just didn't really expect that in a kids show.

Ah, yes. We love that episode of Mrs. Spider. It's been out for a long time now, probably two years at this point. I'll have to dig it out and let the kids watch it again. LOL

You know you're a Mom when..... You can tell not only the show,but the episode from a brief theme description! LOL

I for one was really pleased to see it on a show!

Yes, I can practically quote the scripts for Mrs. Spider! It's a great show because it portrays a large family in a positive light where the siblings get along and love each other and obey their parents.

We love the show, because it's a good example of wise people (Mrs. Spider and Holly) vs foolish people (Ned and Ted the ants and Spiderus). We normally watch an episode then discuss it like that. I'm trying to instill into her young that the wise work hard and prepare for the future and save their money. The foolish waste their money, try to figure out how to mooch off of you and separate the wise from their money.

That being said, I haven't seen the newer episodes because we don't get Noggin anymore. frown

Well I have been researching a rumor that I heard and I have confirmed it yesterday.

No more Mountain House orders of # 10 cans will be filled until 2010. Ladies this is freeze dried food. They will have the pouches but that is it.

That is really something.

Someone is buying a lot of that stuff.

Quote:
two thwarted DNC convention attacks we've already seen happen, plus the thwarted school attack in TX.

OK, OK... where did I miss this??? Can you point me there? I only heard if one thwarted attack of the DNC, and they ran it as a drunk redneck goofball story.

thanks