MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Angel Food Ministries

FYI

I am a host site director for Angelfood, and I get their newsletters. This was in the newsletter this month---

GROWING & GOING

TO ALASKA &

WASHINGTON STATE

AFM is pleased to announce that Host Sites have now been established in Washington & Alaska!

If you know anyone who is gluten-free or has to watch other allergens and is watching their budget, have them check out Angel Food. They have added baking mixes to their allergen free box (which has things like chicken nuggets, strips, country-fried steaks, etc. - all free of the top 8 allergens and gluten), and it's definitely a good deal. We ordered 2 of them. :-) I'll be picking them up next Saturday.

I have been getting them for about 6 months and am pleased. The only problem I have had has been a problem with some frozen things being partially thawed as our distribution site does not have a way to keep them frozen. But i love the variety of items and the cost. Quality has been good.

FYI

I am a host site director for Angelfood, and I get their newsletters. This was in the newsletter this month---

GROWING & GOING

TO ALASKA &

WASHINGTON STATE

AFM is pleased to announce that Host Sites have now been established in Washington & Alaska!

They might be wanting to come to Washington state, but their site says there's nothing here.

Well, Huh, Leah you are right, Washington is not even on the drop down list of states. I will call them tomorrow and find out why. I do know that each host site is responsible for posting their own information on AngelFood's web site.

Ah, Thank you for checking.

• 5 weeks later...

I just found out that the church 5 minutes from my house participates in this program. I'm going this Saturday to place my first order. It is a blessing to be able to find this so close by.

• 1 year later...

I'm not sure how it works Dogmom. I've never used them...yet. I think you have to contact your local distribution center/church. They will give you all the details. I tried to find it on their site but couldn't. I THINK each church has their own way of doing things. I'm pretty sure you have to pre-order so they know how much to order. :shrug:

You have to pay before pick up. We drop off at the church. I haven't looked into it in a while but my sister did it for a few months. She stopped because there were to many things they wouldn't use for a month and then got out of the habit.

My stepdaughter purchased a box from them for Easter (I think). She was pleased with all that she received. I remember she called me up to ask how I roast a chicken. For some reason, she'd never done it before. I was surprised by that because she has 5 children and usually cooks large quantities of food to feed everyone. Her meals are usually a mix of homecooked and prepared foods. She said that while she had cooked a lof of chicken over the years, she had never purchased a whole bird for the oven. She was terrified that she wouldn't be able to tell if it was done.

She did have to contact the local church that handles the delivery, but I don't know how she paid for it...cash/debit card wise. I'd call her, but it is kind of late.

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered online with my debit card. Got home with two boxes plus a sack of frozen stuff, along with a box of self-stable stuff. The son-who-cooks, who has been complaining for days that there's nothing to cook, told me there's no room in the freezer. :frying pan: Clearly, I need to be doing the cooking more often than once in a while. (Whine omitted. You're welcome.)

Two of their packages of frozen carrots take up three (Nesco Square) dehydrator trays.

thank you Stephanie for bringing this up. i know several folks who can benefit and will love this (besides me, I mean....)

• 2 weeks later...

There will be no September Angel Food boxes. They are revamping and reconsidering.

Pretty scary for all of the people who depend on them. Another sign of the times?

We regret to inform you that Angel Food Ministries (AFM) will not be holding a food distribution for the month of September.

Full refunds are now being processed to those who have already placed orders for the September distribution.

Like the thousands of businesses in America that have endured one of the worst recessions in the past 100 years, we too have faced operational and financial challenges. We have every intention to continue offering great food at great prices in the coming months and are considering ways to reorganize or restructure our Ministry.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause to the hundreds of thousands of customers who have come to rely on us every month, to our Host Sites and to the thousands of volunteers who join us in serving God by helping those in need.

Please check this website often for the latest information. Thank you for your understanding and May God Bless.

• 2 weeks later...

I checked their website today. They are ceasing operations all together although it seems like someone is still trying to make a go of it:

"Angel Food Ministries has considered many options regarding our future. At this time we regret to inform you that we have not found a solution that will allow Angel Food Ministries to continue to distribute food on a monthly basis and have decided to cease operations. We realize the pressure that this places on our host sites, community food banks and customers.

However, there is a group of former employees and food vendors that are working to find a better way of serving those who have come to depend on Angel Food.

Unfortunately many if not all other food ministries have gone out of business in recent years. Angel Food has not been immune from the same economic and market conditions that led to the loss of other food ministries. It’s important to note that in the past we never relied on donations; less than 1% of annual revenues have come from donations. We are grateful that we have been able to help tens of millions of customers save hundreds of millions of dollars in food costs. We also are grateful to have been able to return about $24 million to our church host sites and other partner organizations."

There may be programs in some states that can help families now that Angel Food is gone. I know that for me, I'll be able to use Mid America Foods. One of the Angel Food host sites near me quickly started scrambling to get switched over to Mid America Foods and we'll be able to start with them on the October order. They concentrate more on meats and veggies than Angel Food did. Now that Angel Food is kaput, Mid America is growing daily. I know for my state, I checked one day and there were only 3 host stites for the state and none near me. Less than a week later, there was another one and it's the one I will use. Now, there are 7 for the state. They have a face book page and are looking to expand to other areas. A distribution site has to have a minimum of 200 boxes ordered to participate. The site we will use already had well over 100 boxes accounted for two weeks ago, so I'm sure we'll make the 200 mark easily. If you or someone you know used Angel Food, it would be worth your while to check out Mid America Foods and see if you have a distribution site near you.

Archived