BORAX (20 mule team even!)

Stephanie

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Vic303</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How does it work in a frontloader washing machine? I've tried the powder in mine before, but with the reduced water load in a front loader, it does not all dissolve. </div></div>

Vic when I went to the laundry mat and used front load washing machine I had no problem with it.

I will not do laundry with out Borax 20 Mule...I learned 23 years ago that it was a wonder drug for laundry. I would make a paste of borax and water and rub on bibs, baby clothes anything that was really stained, borax and spray and wash kept the boys clothes clean. As a matter of fact the baby clothes went through 3 boys and some look as good with the 3rd as they did with the first one.

I still use it today on our clothes. With 3 sets of stinky feet and sweaty clothes I have to have all the help I can get to get clean fresh smelling clothes.

Ok... I came here to look for cleaning 'recipes' and I keep getting sidetracked and reading everyone's little quotes and sayings. I had to laugh at yours because my husband, daughter, mom, mema and mother-in-law are all redheads!

I will not do laundry without Borax either. I just did my first load of dishes with a homemade concoction - love it! I also use it to clean the toilets and bathtubs.

OK, I have a bit of spotting so I am upping the amount of Borax to 2 cups. I am also upping the amount of sweet orange essential oil to cut grease. Here is the new recipe. I will post results after a few loads.

Dishwasher and Scouring Powder

In a mason jar, mix:

2 cups borax

1 cup baking soda

1/4 cup salt

1/4 cup citric acid

45 drops citrus essential oil--lemon, grapefruit, orange, tangerine, or a mixture

To use, put a tablespoon or so into the wash cup of your dishwasher. I don't put it into the pre-wash cup, since that gets wasted.

• 1 month later...
It's good stuff! I use it as a booster with my laundry and dishwasher detergent, and it's an ingredient in some of the cleaning products I make. I keep some in an old parmesan cheese shaker can to use for cleaning the tub, shower and sink.

I know this is an older thread, but I just wanted to say that I thought this was a great idea!

Thanks for sharing with us!!

Michelle in middle Tennessee

Archived