MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cat

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE THIS WEEK TO PREPARE? PART 32

Truckin' on... 22.gif

Part 31

Found cereal for $1 a box and bought 70 boxes, enough for a year! Saw storage bins beside the road (the stacking kind for laundry or recyclables, looked like new) and stopped and bought all 6 for $35. I now have cereal & storage!

I had enough broccoli to freeze 12 meals worth and 12 of squash. We picked chokecherries and I froze them to wait until cooler weather to put into jelly.

Today I started my fall cleaning before school starts next week. I have all the books but two and they should arrive this week.

Joyfully,

Cheryl

Originally Posted By: SDBookMom
Found cereal for $1 a box and bought 70 boxes, enough for a year! Saw storage bins beside the road (the stacking kind for laundry or recyclables, looked like new) and stopped and bought all 6 for $35. I now have cereal & storage!

I had enough broccoli to freeze 12 meals worth and 12 of squash. We picked chokecherries and I froze them to wait until cooler weather to put into jelly.

Today I started my fall cleaning before school starts next week. I have all the books but two and they should arrive this week.

Joyfully,
Cheryl

Which books?

DH went to the salvage house today and found a bunch of stellar deals. Everything I need to make the Annie's Salsa, including the bottled organic lime juice for $1 a bottle. I'm used to seeing them for $3+ each. Frontier 1-pound bags of spices for a good price. Canned goods and some frozen foods.

He also went to get a bunch of shelving off of freecycle, so we can put up extra shelving in the garage, laundry room and maybe in the main house for storage, too.

Now that I'm acquiring all of this stuff, I'm having a hard time figure out where to put it!

wave Hi Cheryl! Wow, our school has been going on our 3rd week today. That is a great buy on all those boxes of cereal. Great Job! clap

Our school starts the Wednesday after Labor Day.

this week I got in a coop order, and bagged or bucketed it. I got lentils, Bob's veggie soup mix, dehydrated refried black beans, and a bunch of things like spices, yeast, baking powder, gluten and broth mix.

I also canned 2 batches of Annie's salsa.

just finished 22 jars of blueberry jelly and blackberry jelly. Yesterday I processed 2 quarts of green beans and 5 quarts of mixed veggies,my but they all look pretty. One of our stores has beef roasts on sale for $1.88 a pound,plan to get some and can beef chunks as my 3 frezzers are very full.

Whoo hoo!! My pressure canner arrived today! My husband is going to take it to the county extension office tomorrow at lunch to have the pressure gauge checked, then I'm going to become a canning machine! I'm SO excited!

I filled up my gas tank this morning. That's a prep for me. It was down to 1/2 a tank. I normally don't like to let it get below 3/4 of a tank. We went through several years of caring for elderly, ill parents (one right after the other) and I always kept the tank topped off. We never had to worry about stopping for gas after a middle-of-the-night phone call.

Now I keep it topped off so I don't have to worry about stopping for gas if SHTF

I also ordered some freeze dried fruits from Honeyvillegrain.com. There is a 10% discount still good until 6:00 pm today for dried fruits and veggies with the discount code Labor.

Well, I'm new here but I'm enjoying what I've been reading. I'm just sitting down after spending the morning canning up a storm. So I've added bread and butter pickles, more green beans and Christmas pickles to the food storage room! I love canning!

I've read a lot about Annie's Salsa. Could anyone enlighten me???

Anyway, there sure is a lot of great info to go through here. Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Tauna

http://www.egangarden.blogspot.com

Originally Posted By: Cecilia

Joyfully,
Cheryl

My children's school books. We homeschool. All that we are missing is one penmanship book (I forgot to order it) and the three oldest math course.

Joyfully,
Cheryl

Which books?

Originally Posted By: Cecilia

Joyfully,
Cheryl

My children's school books. We homeschool. All that we are missing is one penmanship book (I forgot to order it) and the three oldest math course.

Joyfully,
Cheryl

Which books?

Got it. Thanks!

:D>

My Country Living Grain Mill arrived today! Thanking God and doing the happy dance.

Originally Posted By: midwest prepper
just got back from picking up the beef that was on sale also got 20 lbs of chicken to can chicken soup-broth-chunks etc. Guess what I'm doing tomorrow?

Going surfing? laugh

I just want to say, "If Real Life would just back off and leave me alone, I could really get some prepping done!" smile

I feel a little sidetracked right now, but you just have to do what you have to do. There have been eye doctors appointments, which means new glasses for me...soooo...now I have another pair of spare glasses...does that count? shrug

Hello all, I haven't posted in a long time, but I am a constant lurker.

This week I bought 2 beef briskets for .99/lb and cut it all up and ground it for ground beef, in the 1970's era Oster I got when my Aunt Glayds died several years ago. Hubby got half of a wild hog, so I cut that up and froze it too. cut up the fat and am flash freezing it for seasoning meat. Gathered 2 eggs from the chicken coop, hauled off a chicken that a critter got half of. All of this while I'm watching what Gustav will do. East Texas hated Rita, I hope gustav will stay away, we don't need mass evacuations from the Texas Coast flooding our roads again. Poor people left their homes spent hours on the road to drive up here for the storm to hit them, when it didn't break a limb their house back in Houston.

Shelley

I did my annual "Attic and Basement Crawl".

Going through the attic, basement and storage shed to distribute zip lock bags of mothballs.

Zip lock bags with holes punched in them (use a hole punch) and a handful of mothballs gets rid of mice, squirrels, snakes, bats, spiders, etc. The bags keep everything neat and minimize the chance a child or pet may eat a mothball. Takes about 2 weeks before everyone leaves grin

DO NOT DO THIS IN AREAS YOU GO INTO A LOT OR SPEND MUCH TIME IN. The fumes WILL get to you in a short time.