MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cat

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE THIS WEEK TO PREPARE? PART 32

Oh, I still need to add more flour, pastas, cornmeal,sweeteners, etc. for my family and since I'm a newly Dx diabetic I need to add artificial sweeteners for myself.

Or use the Tightwad Gazette way of making yogurt and just set a canning jar on a heating pad, wrap it in a kitchen towel or two, then invert a stock-pot over the whole thing for added insurance.

I went to Sam's yesterday. My DH almost had a stroke when it rang up right at $700. I knew it would as I had done my shopping list on-line and had printed it out so I didn't forget anything. I tried to explain to him that except for fresh dairy, fruits, veggies and bread we got enough food yesterday to feed our family of 6 for at least 2-3 months. We also got enough paper products, OTC meds, and soaps for probably 6 months or more.

We got our neighbor a brisket and breaded chicken breasts for helping with our yard work a couple of weeks ago when dh had surgery. We picked up my sister and MIL a couple of things too.

When my sister came by I gave her the things we got for her and tried to talk to her about being better prepared as they rarely have more than a couple of days of food in their house. They make as much as we do but have different spending habits. I always feel like people think I am preaching at them when I try to talk to them about preparing.

Today I am getting everthing put away, pre-cooking some things, repackaging some, and laying out a menu. My freezers are full, fridg is full, pantries are full and its a REALLY GREAT FEELING!!!!

Now I need to work more on my long term storage........LOL!!

Have A Blessed Day,

b.b.

I scored a brand new box of small canning jars at the thrift store (whoo hoo! same price as WM, but WM doesn't have any left) picked up two more 2 lb bags of rice at the dollar store, and a few canned goods at Save A Lot. Also at a second thrift store, they had a pile of free things, so I got a cooling rack (that is way nicer than my cheap ones!) and a few back up kitchen utensils.

It's raining, so I can't paint my new-to-me shelf frown but I am getting caught up on laundry, at least. (washing some of the things we have picked up the last 2 days) I'm going to try to work on a list of other things I still need and try to see if I can score some of it from freecyle.

Campy...LUCKY YOU!!!! I pay .69 and up for tuna. I have been buying it a lot because I have been craving it...have no idea why but I have been eating it like crazy. Gosh I wish I could catch it like that.

I haven't had the funds to really do as I would like but I did get Campbells soup for .60 and bought several. Also caught the large cans of Healthy Choice soup for .80. Added more viennas and potted meat but DH and DD eats it up as fast as I buy it. I buy atleast 2 boxes of crackers each visit in order to try and stay stocked on that. Also adding several bags of dried beans each visit. I figure if I can only add a few extra a trip it's better than none.

Starting to prepare for Christmas. Working on list and trimming alotted amt spent on others so I know what we can spend on kids. Looking for homemade gift ideas...working on scrapbooks for parents and siblings. Never done one before but last year I decided to try and went on a shopping spree. Thought Hubby would have a stroke since I went overboard and never did anything wtih it!!! He doesn't kid me so bad about it now.

Took stock of kids closets to see what was needed and made a pile to list on EBAY.

I bought 70 lbs of pasta of various shapes and kinds. I also bought 16 bell peppers that I am going to dice and cut up and freeze and dehydrate.

The pasta is enough for about 8 months. I am trying to decide if I want more. I need to get 5 gallon buckets to put it all in. :-O

Originally Posted By: preparing
Originally Posted By: Cricket
Originally Posted By: preparing
I made the decision to buy a dehydrator and a yogurt maker

Don't buy a yogurt maker! Use canning jars and a styrofoam cooler! Check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOltrfr2W3w

Well that was very interesting! I am going to watch it again.

That video came from this site Simply Living

There is a lot of great videos on the site.

I am going to try it. I am going to look for the styrofoam cooler. I think I want to use jelly jars and not pints, but I can live with pints. I have the jars and I am going to get the starter tomorrow from the health food store. I started my sourdough starter today and I am making a spreadsheet thing. I used the LDS food storage calculator and the Mormon 52 week planner. I made it for our 4 and added my brother who probably does not have a can of soup in his house rollingeyes I kept one copy on the computer and printed the other out. I am going to do an inventory tomorrow. Only thing, why do the LDS and Mormans not include meat in the storage food needed? I would think that if they say you need 1500 pounds of grains and you had meat then you could deduct some of the grain?

Preparing - you don't even need a cooler. I make my yogurt using the method talked about in the Tightwad Gazette. I set it in the oven which has been pre heated to 275 then turned off, then LEAVE THE OVEN LIGHT ON!

I like to make yogurt in the evening and leave it over night so I'm not tying up the oven during the day.

I watched several videos from the link above and one lady said she does it in the oven for 3-1/2 hours, but you could do it overnight, but she stopped at 3-1/2 hours because of the flavor. A man did an experiment with a crock pot and with a cardboard box with a heating pad. He said the yogurt in the box tasted better and it was a lower temperature. Then, I saw one where they showed using a store bought yogurt maker and said how the temp stayed exactely at 101 for the best yogurt. I guess different tastes. I made kefir by putting it in the cabinet overnight and when the house was cool I had to wait a little longer. I like the oven idea better, so I am going to try it during the day and stop around 4 hours. How about yogurt flavors, any recipes or ideas how to flavor it?

My mom says they used to wrap the heated milk pot in a feather blanket and tuck it into bed overnight. They did the same with rice pudding.

Good Morning,

I was wondering where you get your buckets?

I have a few places, but you sound like a pro.

Where did you buy the pasta, and how will you store it? Will you break it in half, or leave it whole, will you use oxygen absorbers and heat seal them in mylars?

Monique

For yogurt flavor I really love the vanilla and the lemon. I've used fruit preserves to flavor it too.

Preparing, the food storage calculators are for long term storage and are based on least expensive foods. Meat, particularly packed for long storage is an expensive item. I would get all the grains I could afford, find and store.

just did my weekly groceries. i bought more flour, jars & lids, pectin, canned veggies, foil, ziplocs, coffee, soap and took out a little extra cash.

I was leaning towards the oven, but now wonder what if the electricity was off for a long period of time, I would have the cooler to use. I could heat the milk on the woodstove. I have so many options at making yogurt crazy which is good!

I am happy I have something to share here! A friend found 20 pounds of ground pork at GFS for $20. She called me and I went and bought a case too. Now to figure out what to do with it.:-) I also got 12 cans Campbells tomato soup and 12 cans Chicken noodle as they were on sale 3/$1.00

WAY TO GO, hopegrows!!! :woot:

Can you at least freeze the meat?

(It can be canned, ya know! wink )

I kinda let this thread run on a bit longer... kisse.gif

ON TO THE NEXT!!!

Part 33