MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What's for dinner? part 3

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tonight will be round steak in gravy with onions and mushrooms cooked for 2.5 hours. So tender.

Garden fresh sliced tomatoes. Green beans too, I think.

Cottage cheese.

Either chilled pineapple or chilled cantelope. Is that how you spell cantaloup? It looks weird either way.

And if someone's garden will allow and they will share with us, some tender, tiny yellow crookneck squash, steamed and then covered with butter and salt and pepper.

And Jillian's famous zucchini bread for dessert, from zucchini she's she's grating today.

I hate cooking, but I love the idea of seeing a table covered with good food.

The DW is going to have her "usual" - a salad with one cut up breaded baked chicken breast and 1/4 - 1/2 of a home grown tomato. On the salad she is going to have Caesar dressing (I am not certain if it will be the regular dressing or the fat-free).

The DW is 5'2", 125 lbs and CONSTANTLY states she is "fat".

On the occasions we do eat out she ALWAYS has either the broiled scrod or the baked scrod.

(I keep wondering which is going to show up on the DW first - the feathers or the scales and gills. grin )

I am most likely going to have a frozen pizza for dinner. (Yeah me, the amateur gourmet cook. It gets very discouraging spending several hours making a really nice meal and having the DW say "No thank you. All I am going to have is my salad."

FWIW - I really am a gourmet cook. I have cooked the meals at several catered events. Every time I cook for this caterer (I cook for him part time and for under the table wages) he receives nothing but compliments on the meal.

Tonight is taco night. We have gotten away from the packets of seasoning and I make that from bulk spice. We also no longer use the cans of refried beans, we now use Breadbecker's refried beans. It's more expensive than using just beans, but we have yet to be happy with refried beans from dried beans. Next step is to get a good recipe for Spanish rice.

Tomorrow is going to be split pea burgers. This time we won't be using the food processor. The problem last time was the texture was too fine.

Tonight was blueberry pancakes with chicken/maple sausages. I (gasp, horror) tried using margarine and dry milk in the pancakes in order to economize, which seemed a little absurd since I used Whole Foods pancake mix, organic sausage and real maple syrup... Aidan's decided pancakes for breakfast is the best thing ever.

I figured I'd be smart and make one meal's cooking last for two.

;)

So I browned ground beef, added chopped onion, green and red peppers, and cooked until they were nice. Added one can condensed tomato soup (undiluted) and a half can of commercially-canned tomato sauce (gotta use it up ;) ), one can of water, seasonings to taste, then added Minute Rice. (Some things I just eyeball sometimes.) Stir and cover.

(Serve with grated cheese.)

Then I dumped the rest of the tomato sauce all over my floor and cupboards when I knocked it with my elbow. While cleaning that up, I nearly burned the supper because it needs to be stirred occasionally and I was busy. Everyone was so hungry by then that they ate the entire pot, so I won't have stuffed peppers tonight as planned.

So tonight's supper is thawing... pork chops.

Dinner is simple tonight.

Broiled halibut served with butter & lemon, garden fresh tomatoes, garden fresh zucchini and crookneck cooked in bacon grease with onion, bread & butter, ice tea.

For dessert, we'll have garden fresh watermelon, purchased from the farmer's market.

Started out as meatloaf, which my hubby decided to patty up and grill, served with my newly canned homemade ketchup, garden tomatoes, relish and fresh potatoes and onions from the "Potato farm:?)" Got 200 lbs potatoes and 50 lbs onions. Hope that'll get us through most of winter...

Originally Posted By: onepoormomma
Started out as meatloaf, which my hubby decided to patty up and grill, served with my newly canned homemade ketchup, garden tomatoes, relish and fresh potatoes and onions from the "Potato farm:?)" Got 200 lbs potatoes and 50 lbs onions. Hope that'll get us through most of winter...

I think I'll make the meatloaf you didn't thanks

Chicken soup with meat from the backs of the 4 chickens I canned, with veggies from the garden, (including radish leaves), salad with radishes, tomatoes, and cukes from the garden, iced tea

dessert???

dora

beerocks???? DarleneSwoon

**looking longingly at PoGo's chocolate cake...**

Hubby was SO surprised tonight! I had thawed what I thought was the ends and odd trimmings from the whole strip steak piece I got on sale a couple of months ago. I figured I'd marinate and bake them.

Turned out it was the larger package of steaks. So I grilled them and he had *steak* eek in the middle of the week!!! It's rare enough anyway... I just got a deal on those that I couldn't pass up.

A potato casserole and broccoli with butter rounded out the meal.

I asked him if he wanted leftovers or a ham sandwich for his lunch tomorrow... rofl

I had to google "Beerocks" to find out for sure what they are. I've made these several times, but I didn't know they had a name. I use ground beef, instead of shredded steak, plus onions, cabbage, and salt and pepper (lots of pepper). Thanks for teaching me the name for the food we always enjoy.

Archived