MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What's for dinner? part 3

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I had planned to eat some steak I saved from the dead freezer, but on the way home, I stopped by the Save-A-Lot to buy some sour cream for baked spuds and found 4 pkgs of macaroni for $1, so I bought $3. I found a head of cabbage for .33.

Then, in their discount bin, was some Mrs. Wage's Bread & Butter pickle mixes - really good...BUT inspite of being in the DISCOUNT bin, they were STILL regular price..(a HIGH price!)....very sneaky!

I get home and DH said (mark it for the record!) "No, I don't want steak...I want that yummy cheese and shells you do...oh, and that yummy cabbage coleslaw thing." No lie. You could have knocked me over with a feather.

So, he got what he asked for...mac & cheese and cole slaw with homemade dressing. We also had some tomatoes from the garden. No dessert, but PB cookies for his birthday on Sat are scheduled.

Originally Posted By: Genoa
I had to google "Beerocks" to find out for sure what they are. I've made these several times, but I didn't know they had a name. I use ground beef, instead of shredded seak, plus onions, cabbage, and salt and pepper (lots of pepper). Thanks for teaching me the name for the food we always enjoy.

Is this the same as --what is it called? Bubble and Squeek?

Cat,

If you want a recipe for beerocks, you can google for recipes or, hopefully, someone else here who has made them will provide a recipe.

I can tell you how I make mine, which (based on what I read online) seem to be similar to beerocks, with hamburger instead of steak.

I cook about a pound of hamburger with some chopped onions (or dried minced onion), with salt and LOTS of pepper (usually use a spicy pepper blend, because I like things spicy hot). When hamburger is cooked, I drain the fat and then add about half a cabbage cut in pieces and continue to cook until cabbage is done. Then I just take a roll-size piece of bread dough, spread it out, and put a large spoonful of the hamburger mixture on top, and seal up the bread dough, place on a baking sheet, and bake about 20-30 minutes at 350 degrees. Repeat this process until you've used up all of your bread dough or all the filling (I never seem to come out even on those). You can brush with an egg wash, if desired, but I rarely do. (A friend uses frozen Rhodes bread dough, but I just use my own bread dough.)

Hopefully, you'll get more replies to your request for recipes, but until then I thought I'd let you know how I make mine---really easy and, obviously, could be adapted to your own taste with different meat, seasonings, etc. I think some shredded corned beef and cabbage would be another idea for filling.

I keep meaning to make that. I think in Nebraska they call them Runzas. Bruce has mentioned them a couple of times.

Tonight I'm just going to make more of the bob's red mill "vegi" soup (the mix with alphabets, lentils, barley, etc.). this time I'll sautee onion & garlic in olive oil, and add fresh veggies. Plus I'll make biscuits. About to go mix up some whole-wheat biscuit mix from Hillbilly Housewife.

Beerocks

1& 1/2 lb. ground beef

1 small package sausage

3 qt cabbage

3 large onions

2 teaspoons salt

2 teaspoons pepper

2 teaspoons garlic powder

2 teaspoons seasoned salt

3 teaspoons caraway seed

regular yeast dough or frozen bread dough

Directions;

Brown ground beef and sausage. Set aside. Saute onions for 10 minutes. Add cabbage to onions and saute for 10 more minutes. Remove from heat and mix meats with cabbage mixture. Add seasonings and mix well. roll out dough into 1/4 inch thick squares. Put filling in. Seal 4 corners. Let rise 15 minutes or so. Brush with oil. Bake at 375F for 20 minutes

Now I need to own up blush I never got the beerocks made. Thought I had caraway seed on hand, but I didn't. Couldn't find any in our small grocery and it was getting late.... and the rotissorie chicken smell sooooooo good........ grin I do intend to make them though. With a new 3 & 1/2 month old foster baby mecryand the 3 year old no who lives with us, It's better to be flexible.

Originally Posted By: Genoa
Cat,

If you want a recipe for beerocks, you can google for recipes or, hopefully, someone else here who has made them will provide a recipe.

I can tell you how I make mine, which (based on what I read online) seem to be similar to beerocks, with hamburger instead of steak.

I cook about a pound of hamburger with some chopped onions (or dried minced onion), with salt and LOTS of pepper (usually use a spicy pepper blend, because I like things spicy hot). When hamburger is cooked, I drain the fat and then add about half a cabbage cut in pieces and continue to cook until cabbage is done. Then I just take a roll-size piece of bread dough, spread it out, and put a large spoonful of the hamburger mixture on top, and seal up the bread dough, place on a baking sheet, and bake about 20-30 minutes at 350 degrees. Repeat this process until you've used up all of your bread dough or all the filling (I never seem to come out even on those). You can brush with an egg wash, if desired, but I rarely do. (A friend uses frozen Rhodes bread dough, but I just use my own bread dough.)

Hopefully, you'll get more replies to your request for recipes, but until then I thought I'd let you know how I make mine---really easy and, obviously, could be adapted to your own taste with different meat, seasonings, etc. I think some shredded corned beef and cabbage would be another idea for filling.

I just looked up a bunch of recipes online and Genoa's is the standard recipe.

I'm making the following dough in my bread machine:

12oz flat beer (using Anchor Steam "Liberty Ale")
2 cups all purpose flour
2 cups whole wheat (fresh ground ;-)_)
3 tbsp sugar
1.5 tsp salt
1.5 TBSP butter
1.5 tsp yeast

DH Bruce is from Nebraska and pretty excited I'm making these for him tonight. He never asked for them because he thought they weren't healthy, but they look healthy enough to me!

Sure, they just sound like homemade "fast food". Kind of like Ginger's "Pasties" (that's PAST-ies, not the other things... ashamed ) or the Italian calzone; traditional insides baked into a bread shell.

Thanks, Rezgirl and everyone!!!

thanks

Wow, that was fast to assemble. I gave myself an hour and it took 20 minutes. Not sure how long I can keep them on the cookie sheet before I bake them. 4:26 is a *bit* early to put dinner in the oven. The recipe says they bake in like 20 minutes...

I'm going to serve them with leftover Bob's Red Mill Vegi soup

ETA: the 1lb ground beef + 1 large onion + 1/2 medium head cabbage was the perfect amount of filling for the dough I made.

Carmen,

I'm sure you could substitute whatever you want. All of the filling ingredients are totally cooked before being placed in the bread dough, so I can't think of any reason to alter the recipe as you like.

Sorry, I can't think of any suggestions, as I really like cabbage. But I would just suggest using any combination of meat and seasonings, etc., that you like. You could even just make it with the meat only, no veggies, if you prefer. For me, that would be too much meat, but others would probably prefer it that way.

I just made them - they were a hit. I am thinking you could literally put *anything* in there. I bet it would be awesome with peas and carrots (like a shepherd's pie pocket) or with onions and cheese (like a cheeseburger) or put sloppy joe filling in there.

I really think the sky's the limit.

Carmen, you could use cooked chopped potatoes and/or carrots for the cabbage. Maybe some parsnips... anything you'd throw into a stew.

I would substitute fennel seed for the caraway seed, or just other herbs.

Or mushrooms, peppers, mozzarella cheese, and spaghetti sauce, kinda Italian...

yumyum

• 4 weeks later...

you might brown the brisket on your grill, say five or ten minutes per side, to give it a smoky flavor before you put it in the crockpot...i do that and then put it in a very slow oven, covered with foil, and it turns out great!...good luck, have fun! :*)

I've been busy lately. I've been trying to carefully stretch the meats, etc.

So I made my type of "Spanish rice" the other night, then used the leftovers with grated cheese added to stuff peppers. Hubby liked it all, but I froze the lefovers of that, so he doesn't get TOO tired of it. It'll be good next week for his lunch. wink

I found a whole, boneless "water added/processed" ham at the store that was 50 cents a pound less than the same one in another location. When I asked, the girl said it was *last week's* price, forgotten and not changed back *up*, so I went ahead and bought the whole one rather than the piece I had chosen first. (Pre-priced, it's not worth it to them to change it on the spot.)

So last night we had ham slices, brussels sprouts, and hominy. And you should'a seen the kids' faces when I presented them with homemade "McMuffins" for breakfast, made with whole wheat English muffins (also on sale)! happy02

Tonight we're having scalloped potatoes with ham and cheese, and a broccoli salad if I hurry up and get it done.

I'm getting some of the ham ready for the freezer for later. wink

Cat, that all sounds so good - you can come cook at my house any time! grin

We ended up at Burger King last night because I was too tired to cook (note to self - hurry up and get more premade meals in the freezer!).

I'm thinking tonight will be chicken and Stove Top, but that will be the end of the chicken until it goes on sale again, so I need to think if that's really how I want to use it...

Yup... isn't it a pain to have to *think* it through instead of knowing you can pull more out of the freezer?

Tonight was sale chuck roast baked in the oven... I've got great leftovers with "juices" for the weekend. Potatoes and broccoli salad (finally made it!) rounded out the meal.

But I'm REALLY craving a pumpkin pie Blizzard from Dairy Queen... (DARN those commercials!! mecry )

We made homemade, thick crust, pepperoni pizzas, and sliced apples...Three pans of snicker doodles are cooling. We became frightened this week, and have been coming up into my bedroom, in the evening, locking the door...So I have been trying to make things more fun. We have the pizza, cookies, movies, and little Creation booklets we are making, to entertain us...There is just something creepy, about this time of night.

The other night, I cooked two chuck roasts, in cranberry sauce, chipolte peppers, onions. We had that, brown rice, fried apples,

beans,cooked with current tomatoes, from the garden, cinn. rolls, and crock pot, chocolate, pudding cake/ice cream.

The next night, I shredded the roast, mixed it with pinto beans, cooked saffron rice, put it on flour tortillas, topped with cheese, rolled them up, brushed them with butter, and baked them till brown. We had mashed sweet potatoes, with butter and brown

sugar, black grapes, and sliced apples. I made spicy hermits, with dried blueberries for dessert.

Archived