MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Grace007

Carrot identification

Ok. I'm going to admit something....I've lost my carrots.

I heard this bright idea about planting edibles right along with flowers and, so, I did. The problem is that I threw away the seed packet and I've never seen a carrot before it went into the frozen package at the supermarket.

I don't know which green stuff is my carrot top! I had a planting frenzy last spring and much of what I planted is new to me, so I can't even use the 'if not this, then' method.

When you're finished laughing. (Understandable)could someone post a picture or sketch?

LOL...the carrot tops look rather like parsley...in fact carrot is in the parsley family. If you are really in doubt, go to the supermarket, buy some carrots that have the tops still on them and bring it out there with you!

I feel sorta responsible because I posted that I planted edibles in my flower garden. But....I planted mine as a border, and marked it the way you mark a row, with seed packet on stick or with sticks at end of each row or a marker with a written sign on it. (and besides, I planted green beans and cabbages and broccoli..and they are obvious! LOL)

You see, I also tend to forget what is planted where if I am mixing my edibles with my lovelies...

http://www.fotosearch.com/DGV092/73400826/ another photo of a carrot

Oh thank you, thank you! You are precious. And I don't hold you responsible JCK. I hope my carrots look like the picture.

That was pretty funny, at least you did better than I did this last spring. I had never planted carrots until this year and just planted a few of them. The package said they would be done in about 30 days. Well, 30 days later as I was looking at my carrots still in the planter i realized I had no idea how to tell if they were done! So, every few days i would pull one up to see how they were doing.

This proved to be wrong, as the carrots weren't even close to being done and after i pulled them all up I had no carrots left!

It's all a learning process!

LOL Kathy I did that the first time I grew them...and same with radishes....LOL

In the begining they look like this:

carrotseedling.jpg

As they grow a bit, they look like this:

carrotseelings.jpg

Thirty days?? If I recall correctly, it's more like 75.

Well, it appears that I have some lovely carrot tops. They've been in that pot since late may and...nothing but tops and a few fine roots.

Now what? Am I a carrot killer? Where oh where did I go wrong?

This is so sad. I had such great hope for the little fellas.

Is there a grieving process for this. Is there any future?

Help!

Hi Grace,

Are they too close together? Mine didn't get big until they were properly thinned. I think they have to be something like 3 inches or 4 inches apart from each other and maybe from anything else.

Don't get discouraged. Every year I get a little more of it right. Now I at least know most of my weed varieties so I can make a good guess at whether seedlings are what I was trying to grow (or not)! The first year I carefully nurtured some poisonous weeds because I thought they were part of my lettuce mix. Figured it out before I ate too much of it. rofl

NMChick

Thanks, NM. No, I didn't space them. (Sigh)

But...I am going to try again! And, thanks to your warning, I'm going make darn sure that the area I plant is going to hold only carrots. smile