MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

A frugal and healthy way to clean your hair

Momo

If you want to save money and avoid all those nasty chemicals try cleaning your hair this way.

Make a paste of baking soda and water. Massage into your scalp. Rinse with apple cider vinegar and water. It takes a while for your hair to adjust to being chem free, so give it some time.

I haven't tried this yet but I'm going to start tomorrow morning!

And yet another countless use for the baking soda. Not eto self... stock up on the baking soda. Cooking, cleaning, body maintenance. Man this stuff is like gold.

Momo, What's the 'adjustment' that is needed? What happens in the meantime?

Also, can this stuff be made up a pint or so at a time? Any idea how much baking soda would be used in, for example, a pint jar?

I don't know about mixing it ahead. I'm just gonna mix up a handful when I do my hair. It should be easy..just water and b. soda in the palm of my hand.

I think the adjustment means getting all the chemical buildup out of your hair. I'm sure it's loaded from years of all those unpronouncable things in shampoo.

Being a guy, I am not as sensitive to my hair's condition as a lady. Some folks use plain beer to rinse their hair with, some mix up egg whites and just rinse with plain water. My hair is reasonably short and I don't use soap but maybe once a month. I do wash, scrub, and rinse it in very warm water. My hair stays soft and managable. When I use soap it dries out and sticks straight up for a few days. People wash their hair too often IMO. Unless you have an oily scalp/hair just a hot water wash/rinse might be the way to go. My wife has very oily hair and sometimes washes it twice a day. Being naturally curly makes it pretty even when dry. wc

I talked to the lady that cuts my hair about this earlier this week. She was very familiar with using baking soda and said she uses it at times especially with people that have 'brittle' hair from too much ummm....fooling with. Or people (especially older women) that don't wash their hair often enough. It's great for removing the built up oils and chemicals that can damage hair. She said she sometimes uses it by mixing up a bit in her hand, applying it to the hair and adding shampoo on top of it to get the job done. Says it's really the 'grit' of the baking soda that gets the job done and that using vinegar to wash it is not absolutely necessary. Water will do but vinegar gives hair that 'squeaky' clean sensation that so many people like. I'm thinking there may be something about the ph balance between the baking soda on one hand and the vinegar on the opposite ph spectrum that might help establish some kind of balance. Also, stimulating the scalp is just as important as getting rid of the oils in the hair.

She said she even uses Tide washing powder at times for really difficult situations. Not recommended regularly, but it can be done and is even 'grittier' than the baking soda.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Screaming Eagle, Pet stylists use vinegar at 1 cup per gallon as a rinse to "clarify" the hair (remove build up) and close the cuticles making the hair shinier. You have to rinse again with plain water to get the salad smell out of the hair. Baking soda does have abrasive effects which is great if one has flaky skin but also is an alkali which mixes which the oil in your scalp and helps "lift" the excess oils to be rinsed away with water. HTH!

I do this!

The adjustment period varies from person to person, but basically, your hair gets greasy......then its not anymore! Because you're not stripping away the oils in your hair, your scalp will overproduce for a time before it figures it out and adjusts. This period can last anywhere from a few weeks to a few months so dont get discouraged!!!! :whistling:

Also, sometimes the baking soda/vinegar rinse can make your hair feel dry so dont overuse the products!!

I just grab a box of baking soda and dump some in the palm of my hand, mix a little water into it, then seperate between both my palms and dig in.

I've also heard that rinsing your hair in cold water vs. hot actually cuts down on the grease....just make sure to massage your SCALP instead of your HAIR, as your not cleaning your hair, but your scalp where the oil and grime are!!! I've done this a few times and did notice a difference....

One thing I love while I do this, is that my hair doesnt tangle up as much and its so much easier to comb out, even when wet after a shower!!!! I love it :wub:

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Go-No-Poo/

http://noshampoo.org/

http://www.naturemoms.com/no-shampoo-alternative.html

Edited by PrairieGirl
  • 1 month later...
If you want to save money and avoid all those nasty chemicals try cleaning your hair this way.

Make a paste of baking soda and water. Massage into your scalp. Rinse with apple cider vinegar and water. It takes a while for your hair to adjust to being chem free, so give it some time.

I haven't tried this yet but I'm going to start tomorrow morning!

i have done the baking soda wash. i wash my 3 year old dd got her hair and body washed that way because we RAN OUT OF the item and then money. washing with baking soda is easy!!

everyone should bulk up on baking soda.

I used to use washing up liquid at one time, and my hair shone. Im now pretty cheap as I dont have hair due to Alopecia. I dont think it was the liquid as that was about 20 years ago.

Several years ago, my dd took swimming lessons at the college. They must have had some serious chemicals in the pool because the build-up in her hair was unbelievable. We couldn't even get a comb through it! My stylist told me to wash her hair with baking soda and it took it right out! Amazing stuff!

I do this!

The adjustment period varies from person to person, but basically, your hair gets greasy......then its not anymore! Because you're not stripping away the oils in your hair, your scalp will overproduce for a time before it figures it out and adjusts. This period can last anywhere from a few weeks to a few months so dont get discouraged!!!! :whistling:

Also, sometimes the baking soda/vinegar rinse can make your hair feel dry so dont overuse the products!!

I just grab a box of baking soda and dump some in the palm of my hand, mix a little water into it, then seperate between both my palms and dig in.

I've also heard that rinsing your hair in cold water vs. hot actually cuts down on the grease....just make sure to massage your SCALP instead of your HAIR, as your not cleaning your hair, but your scalp where the oil and grime are!!! I've done this a few times and did notice a difference....

One thing I love while I do this, is that my hair doesnt tangle up as much and its so much easier to comb out, even when wet after a shower!!!! I love it :wub:

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Go-No-Poo/

http://noshampoo.org/

http://www.naturemoms.com/no-shampoo-alternative.html

Thank you for the links prarie girl. I am definitely giving this a try!!

• 4 years later...

After first husband passed my hair fell out in chunks and at first, when it grew back in it was snow white. Real strange since my natural color was a medium/dark brunette. So I started washing my hair with pine tar shampoo and it gradually healed & my hair came back in more it's natural color but with lots of silver. Because pine tar shampoo is so expensive I tried my own "medicated" shampoo some time back, and I am really satisfied with it. I do use a conditioner though because now that I have tons of "blonde" highlights (LOL) my hair is drier that it would be naturally. I always use a mousse so that's nothing new. I took an old quirt-type shampoo bottle and added 1/4 cup of aloe vera gel, 1 tablespoon of tea tree oil, and 1 1/2 cups of baby shampoo. I give it a good shake before every use. It sure makes my scalp feel wonderful and it cleans it sqeeky clean of the mousse, hairspray or whatever else accumulates.

Momo, do you still use the baking soda/ water paste? DH and I used it for about a year and a half and then my hair started falling out at a big rate. First thing I did was go to a doctor to make sure my thyroid level was good. Then I researched some and found out that was a common side effect after a long period of use. Anyone else used this for a long time with good results?

I'm not an expert by any means...but when I had trouble with my hair, my beautician stressed that I must keep my "scalp" very clean and the hair clean & conditioned and to massage the scalp when I shampoo. I've followed that train of thought since and haven't had any further hair loss than what I would expect with frosting. Personally I wouldn't touch baking soda etc. or any other type of really abrasive cleaner on my hair. I am now trying to let it grow out naturally. I'm not sure I'll be able to stand it, but I'm trying. LOL

I added a smidge of shampoo to a palm full of baking soda to use on my hair -- and wow, did it end up being super soft and very shiny! I've got long-ish hair (mid-to lower back) that I am trying to let grow longer, but was always frustrated with how blah it was looking - the baking soda seemed to do wonders for perking it up :)

I've not used baking soda exclusively. I use it as an occasional super cleaner.

I also use Castile shampoo. It is a natural product. My hair is very baby fine and I think it might actually be gray (lol). The combo of Castile soap and baking soda seems to work well. My hair is not beautiful but I am happy with the results. I'll never have full lush hair unless I buy it!

I think just changing shampoo can help too. I think your hair gets used to the same thing year after year and a change every now and then helps. I could be totally wrong but it seems to keep my hair growing.

About every 4-6 weeks or so I use Neutrogena shampoo. It helps to strip off all the built up junk on the hair and scalp. It is a little expensive but I don't use it very often. I have to say that I don't use harsh chemicals like dye, bleach, perms or straighteners though. I did when I was younger.

I have pretty good hair for my age...I guess. It's always been thick. I'm amazed I don't have more gray hair. The few I have seem to blend in with my natural highlights for the most part. I'd love to get it streaked but I'd dread the upkeep and expense.

Of course I never check out the back of my head. It could be totally gray with bald spots back there for all I know.

I'm just thankful that my hair grew back in! I've worn mine "frosted" for about a year now, but am letting it grow out to it's natural colorSSSS...LOL My hairdresser knows for sure. She's been telling me "your natural silver is very beautiful, you should let it grow out"...so I'm gonna try it. I know on the top of my head it's almost all silverish, but the rest is still very dark. Just don't know if I'll be able to resist re-frosting it...perhaps just a little less...fewer strands pulled through. Didn't do the foils.