MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What are you canning today?? part 3

RNMOM

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm doing zucchini relish right now, later I'll be juicing some peaces for syrup, then I'm going to start working on apple pie filling.

Over the weekend I did 14 qts of peaches

8 pints of hamburger

4 qts meatballs

Didn't do anything yesterday but lay around and nurse a cold. Hopefully today I can get it all done.

I think that we are finished up until be get back from our trip. We did 20 quarts of apple pie filling, 5 quarts tomato puree, 12 quarts green beans and 9 pints beef stew. The beef stew was delicious. The garden is just about done. A friend is going to come over and get the last of it. Her dh decided NOW that they need to stock up. (((sigh))) So we are letting them have the last of it, we are busy anyway. When we get back we are going to make mega batches of creole veggie soup, chili and more beef stew and can them for the pantry. It is so nice to be able to pull out "just enough" for a quick dinner on those COLD winter nights.

Blessings,

Carie

Carie, care to share your beef stew recipe???? I haven't ever tried that before.

I ended up canning 18 qts of spaghetti sauce

11 pints of peach syrup

8 pints of zuchinni relish

14 qts of apple pie filling

My feet are tired! It's looking good on the shelves. I wish the family would quit eating the salsa. It ain't for eatin' it's fer lookin' at!

RNMOM, my family is not allowed to eat any of the canned food until the snow flies. Fortunately for them, they will not have long to wait up here in the North land. We have had snow in the middle of Oct. that lasted until May before.

We took delivery of a calf on Monday night, and I requested all of the bones. And they took me seriously. LOL I've been making stock like a mad woman. I had to take Tuesday off for a Drs apt in another town, so Wednesday began the all-day canning sessions. I don't have freezer space to store the bones since the calf was bigger than we expcted, so I have to get the stock done or I'll loose the bones.

Today I did 20 pints ground beef canned in stock (had to pull the last of the ground beef from the cow we got last year out of the freezer to make room for the new meat) and 13 quarts of beef stock. Yesterday I did 3 quarts stock and 7 quarts beef/potato/butternut soup.

Tomorrow is around 14 quarts stock and if I have enough time to squeeze it in (because I make the stock in the same pressure canner I can in) I'll do a canner load of chicken and a canner load of apples before the kids eat them all. I just don't know if I'll have time since it takes so long for the canner to heat up and cool down.

I'm having minor surgery on Monday, so it's all got to be finished by then in case I'm off my feet a couple of days.

It's way past my bedtime and I had to read what ya'll were canning. I'm sooooo jealous! I've spent the last 2 days working 12 hour shifts in the ER. Only one more to go and then I can start canning again. We picked about 15 pounds of ripe tomatoes and all of the apples from our two little trees. My daughter in law is coming this weekend and she wants to learn to can salsa and Indian Relish....makes my heart sing I tell ya!

Anyhoo, you are all so inspiring to me to keep canning away. AND the best thing, a lady I work with has been emptying out her jars of food her mother canned 18 years ago and is GIVING me her jars! Can you believe?? She says all she has left now are wide mouth and she's really sorry that she doesn't have any more narrow mouth jars. Do I still want the wide mouth jars??? she says. YA! I save my wide mouth jars to do stuff like meatballs. I really love them, the only thing I don't love about them is the cost of the lids, but with the jars being free I think I'll just put a big smile on my face.

Keep the great inspiring what yer canning posts a'comin!

RNMOM, good score on the jars!

Today I canned turkey broth

Tomorrow, I can beef stew!

Ahhh, I know it wasn't much but it was something. 22 qts of applesauce. Ya, know my mom always said applesauce was easy, but I think it's a mess. I did it outside using my Cache cooker and my husband, bless his heart. It just seems like a lot of work for 22 quarts.

Tomorrow I'll have a day of rest.

Monday I'm going to do some more salsa. The way the people in my house are eating it, I'm going to have to make much more than I intended. Dang.

Then the sweet lady I work with dropped off MORE jars. Wow. I'm pretty happy about all that. I'm going to try some chili and some beef stew. Maybe if I get up the ambition I'll do some more apple pie filling.

9.5 pints of clear, beautiful rabbit stock (wasn't even enough fat on surface after cooling to skim, so gonna skip that step next time). Sure wish rabbit was as ccheap as chicken. Certainly more flavorful.

Whipping up a double batch of the BBB vegetable stock later tonight.

Oh my RNMOM!!!!...Not much!!!!...22 quarts of applesauce!!!!....That's the equivalent of canning 200 pints of chicken...Applesauce is gold!

You worked hard! I just did 195 quarts of applesauce and I can say this...Applesauce is the worst! It takes all day and makes a massive mess.....Mine took me days, morning till night. It was splattered, splashed, spilled from one end of the kitchen to the other....My chicks and I had it in our hair, down the front of us, even our socks stuck to the floor. We did 23 bushels of apples and I haven't recovered yet...Although I'd best get something done with the last four bushels....One thing is for sure....They won't be applesauce!

You know, after canning a total of 9 gallons of beef stock in pints and quarts last week and wearing myself out over it, you'd think I'd learn a lesson about those marathon canning sessions. But no. My husband is brining home some chicken backs tonight and I'll start canning them as soon as I can. I'll do 14 quarts a day until it's done. And I'm pretty sick right now on top of it all, too.

Casey, please take care of yourself. Pace yourself so you can accomplish what you need to, and allow your body to rest and heal.

I cut up 2 (2.5# each)chuck roasts and was able to can 6 pints of meat, and had enough left over for stew for dinner.

You canned how many quarts of applesauce???????????????????????? You are my hero. If I look at another apple right now I'll cry...except my mom called and said the Red Delicious are ready! Mercy.

You are awesome is all I can say.

Originally Posted By: MomM
Casey, please take care of yourself. Pace yourself so you can accomplish what you need to, and allow your body to rest and heal.

You know, I got ahold of myself last night and decided to change my game plan. I froze all of the backs except one batch- it was a comedy of errors watching DH try to figure out how to get them into a tiny, ice-logged freezer that desperately needs to be emptied and de-iced. That one batch I kept out is going now in the canner. I'll thaw and cook and can the others as I feel up to it over the next few weeks.

I've got a gob of family arriving next week to stay for at least a week, so I decided I'd better invest my limited energy into different areas- namely cleaning, since my 70-year old grandma is coming and she's the type who cleans and cleans and cleans and cleans like mad and doesn't sit down or take a break until it's done. That's probably why she's 70 years old and can out-work most 30-year old adults I know. I'm still too weak to keep up with her, although I was able to before I became sick. LOL She's enough to wear a grown man out.

18 pints (full canner load) of vegetable stock coming up to pressure now. Going to be gone rest of today and all of tomorrow at a dance competition, but then took Monday off, and planning on doing a batch of chili and some chicken breasts in broth.

Archived