MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What are you canning today?? part 3

RNMOM

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, apple pie jam is just that, tastes like apple pie filling but for toast, English muffins, etc.

If you make it with less pectin it can be icecream syrup, too.

This has both white and brown sugar. I get so many requests for this:

APPLE PIE JAM

4 cups tart apples, peeled and finely chopped

2 tablespoons lemon juice

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon ground allspice

4 cups sugar

1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar

1 box pectin

1/2 teaspoon butter

Add water to chopped apples to measure 4 cups.(This is NOT 4 cups each, but water placed on top of the diced apples to come up to the 4 cup mark.) Place apples and water into large, heavy saucepan. Stir in lemon juice, cinnamon and allspice.

Measure sugars. Stir pectin into fruit. Add butter. Bring mixture to full rolling boil on high heat, stirring constantly. Quickly stir in both sugars. Return to full rolling boil and boil exactly 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Skim off any foam with metal spoon.

Ladle quickly into hot, clean jars, leaving 1/4" headspace. Wipe jar rims and threads. Cover with two-piece lids. Screw bands on finger tight. Process in boiling water bath for 10 minutes.

Yesterday I ended up doing Giardieniera (Pickled Vegetables) to empty out my fridge -- cauliflower, carrots, celery and bell peppers. I would have loved some pearl onions in the mix, but could not find my bag of frozen ones. Now I have to a few weeks before trying.

giardiniera.jpg

Finished the muscadine grape jelly this week and all the applesauce yesterday. Now I have some pumpking I need to cube up and can because I don't think it will last the winter out in storage. Just hate to see anything go to waste!

Q

Saturday I canned 23 jars of caramel, apple jam, and Aaron canned 38 jars of apple jelly...All by himself. Emma canned, all by herself 6 pints of green beans. She is doing orange/cranberry relish today.

Archived