MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What are you canning today?? part 3

RNMOM

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I made 4 jars of the apple pie jam today and I'm going to try it in the morning on top of some pancakes. I also dehydrated some apples

Tomorrow I'm going to make apple jelly and another batch of the apple pie jam- this time a full canner load. I'm also going to dehydrate more apples.

No canning, but I put the tops of 2 bunches of parsley in the dehydrator yesterday, and then today I just put half a pound of sliced mushrooms ($1.49 per pound) in to dry.

Dora

Canned 14 pints of turkey stock last night, have a batch of chicken stock cooling (so I can skim fat, critical as I used all dark meat) in fridge now, and ham is simmering for pea soup. chicken from the stock is also cooling in fridge so I can can that tomorrow. Also plan on pork, beef, and turkey/chicken stock this weekend (was running low on stocks), and will can leftover ham after I cut up what I need for soup.

Me also AoF, I went out and picked what will probably be the last since they are calling for a frost tonight. frown I got 64 of em. grin There are a lot of little ones still left, maybe if we don't get frost for 2 weeks I can get more. Thinking about bringing one inside and see how it does.

wormie

John

My Emma, canned eight, 12 oz. jars of cranberry sauce...All by herself....Seems like cranberries don't go very far, this was 7 bags of them. She did take 1.5 cups of them and make a cranberry pound cake, also by herself. I washed and sliced, half a bushel, of rhubarb, which I am going to can, in syrup, in the morning.

Most of my day was spent dealing with Noah's huge fits and digging sweet potatoes. I dug, only about 20% of them. I got 3.5 bushels, so far. I am going to can, dehydrate, and freeze any that have nicks, from the potato fork and shovel.

Now...There's the 10 pumpkins, 2 bushels of butternut squash, and a box of pears....Guess I'll do the pears next, they'll rot, the fastest.

I did 13 pints of rhubarb this evening. While that was in the canner, Emma and I peeled a box of pears. We have 6 quarts of sliced pears, to make jam with tomorrow. We took some peels and cores and juiced them and got five quarts, from the one batch. We haven't decided, whether to make jelly or syrup.

This afternoon, I went to my Mennonite friends house. They let me pick all I wanted of their peppers. They told me my race was with Mother Nature...We are supposed to get a heavy freeze tonight. My chicks and I picked 4 bushels of lovely red, yellow, and green sweet peppers. We also picked two bushels of eggplants. This evening we pulled the rest of the vines off of our sweet potatoes. We dug another four bushels of them. My peppers had blossom rot, so these will make up for it. I have a freezer full of eggplants, but thought I would make some eggplant parm., and Moussaka, and freeze casseroles of that. My friends say, they put their peppers and eggplant into their basement, and they keep there for a long time.

This evening we pulled the rest of the vines off of our sweet potatoes. We dug another four bushels of them. My friends' sweet potatoes didn't do well, so BOY can I fix them up. I am not nearly done digging...Probably never will be, if I see many more big BLACK WIDOWS....They are all throughout, my sweet potato patch! My Noah's job, today, was to protect me from them. We dug and froze, until long after dark.

You're sweet Virginia! I feel like I get nothing done and my kitchen looks, just that way!

We dug more potatoes tonight. We got 7 gallons of white potatoes and three boxes of sweet potatoes. Emma cut the dill and has it washed and drying. Noah cut the sage. He was the black widow executioner. He was horrible today, so I told him if he didn't straighten up, he didn't get to be my black widow guard. His psychiatrist said "We really don't want to sedate him." Wonder who he was factoring into the "We." Not me! Joseph picked the last of the beans. We stayed out again, till long after dark....

Then Emma and I canned 21 jars of caramel pear jam and 15 jars of pear syrup. I have enough pear juice left, to can 4 batches of pear jelly. We'll strain the pear guts tomorrow for fruit leather...So much for that little box of pears! Now...Sweet potatoes, peppers, eggplant, pumpkins, butternut......

I know, Mom11 works so hard. It is amazing all she gets done !!!

She makes me proud !

The rest of you,keep up the good work, too !

Me, I am busy getting Christmas things started around here.

No canning lately for me. I have grape jelly to make soon, though, out of the juice we juiced.

I would do more canning, but so many things I can't have any more due to health issues. I would love some of that caramel pear jam. A girl can still dream.

Sure Simplegirl...I'll go and get it. It didn't say to put lemon juice in it, so I added 3 tabs., per batch.

4 cups pears, about 8 pears...Emma chopped them in the food processor.

The recipe didn't say to peel the pears, but we did. This recipe is from About.Com and the person posting it said she ground her pears, in the food processor. Our jam is chunky and looks fine.

1 package pectin

3 & 1/2 cups granulated sugar

1 & 1/2 cups light brown sugar

1/8 tsp. allspice

1/8 tsp. nutmeg

3/4 tsp. cinnamon

1/2 tsp. butter....Optional.....I use it and it really does keep the foaming, to a minimum

Combine pectin, with 1/4 gran. sugar, add to pears and cook till it comes to a rolling boil....I didn't add the pectin, to the sugar, just followed the traditional directions of adding pectin to fruit.

Add the sugars, and spices, and butter, all at once. Bring mixture to a rolling boil, and boil for 1 min.

Remove from heat and continue stirring for 5 mins. I didn't do this, just followed the traditional..."Throw it into the jars," method.

Put into jars, leave 1/4 inch head space. Water bath for 10 mins.

Makes 6-7 half pint jars. I did 6 batches and got 12 pints, two 12 oz., and seven half pints.

Out of 16 cups of pear juice, I got thirteen 12 oz., and two half pints of pear syrup, following Violet's fruit syrup recipe.

Let you know about pear jelly, when I get that made...I have 8 cups of juice frozen. I got all of this, out of one box of pears, and all of the juice, 24 cups, out of about, half the skins and cores. Now to strain the guts and see what kind of fruit roll ups we'll make!

Off to dig more taters....Now how to keep these chicks hunting(digging)...Think we will have a contest and see who finds the most or biggest!

Twelve pints of round steak, raw pack in broth. That was only 3/4 of the steak I bought (good sale on great round steak, london broil). Going to do the rest tomorrow, along with some chicken and turkey leftover from making stock. Ran out of clean jars on this batch tonight.

Archived