MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What are you canning today?? part 3

RNMOM

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Emma and I peeled tomatoes this morning and have 8 quarts ready to can into pizza sauce tomorrow. We took the juice from yesterdays salsa tomatoes and today's and canned it for a friend and got 7 quarts. I juiced 3 quarts of the blackberries, that I froze, and got 16 cups of juice. I am canning it into Violet's syrup tomorrow.

Just finished about 8 quarts of Giardiniera (Pickled Veggies) and 6 pints of salsa from Mrs. Wages mix (on sale at WM).

I don't need to do as much as most others since I'm a single senior and can work in small batches and truly enjoy the fruits of my efforts.

Just finished 40 quarts of veggies: potatoes, carrots, celery & onions as a soup base. Some is for me, some for my parents.

Yeah, that was a day. I have some jelly, then I am finally DONE for the season.

woohoo

Yesterday, I finished my years worth of pizza sauce...Another 21 pints. I also canned three quarts of tomato juice.

This isn't canning, but the Mennonites have cabbages, pick your own, for 50 cents each. My chicks and I picked over 40. On Sunday, I cooked 10 cabbages and made 8 dinners of Violet's cabbage rolls. Yummy!

First, roast a chicken or two. Pick off the meat and save the bones. Use the meat for a meal. Make chicken broth with the chicken carcass. When the broth is strained you are left with a strainer filled with bones, skin, fat, and veggies.

Now put all that, plus extra meat, cooked rice, appropriate leftovers, etc if you wish, and put it in a good, strong blender with some liquid (I have a VitaMix). You can use broth, water or milk. Blend it all into paste and serve as wet food.

Store extra in the refrigerator for up to two weeks! My cats love it, and it's so much better for them than store bought 'food'.

When I plan to can it, I use only broth or water to thin it, and add extra broth or water to make it as thin as soup. I can it for 90 minutes at 10 pounds pressure. My cats eat both the thicker paste (which I don't can) and the thinner 'soup', with gusto!

I like that I can use every bit of a chicken, with absolutely no waste!

Heh, I said same thing for this weekend, Andrea (work or spend time at studio all d ay during week). Now looks like I'll be making beef stock, navy bean soup and ten bean soup. and trying to resist making apple jelly from the bag of cores and skin in the freezer. smirk

Susie,

You really don't mean rock salt, do you ? Rock salt is not safe to consume. Only meant to make icecream in the ice, or to melt snow/ice. It has toxic chemicals.

I do hope you mean coarse kosher salt instead.

Mom11, I knew you would love that juicer ! Now you see why I use one.

I am waiting for the canner to heat up so that I can put the peach butter in the jars to can up. I think I should end up with 6 quart jars. At least that is what I am keeping my fingers crossed for. It smells so good cooking.

Originally Posted By: Violet
Susie,
You really don't mean rock salt, do you ? Rock salt is not safe to consume. Only meant to make icecream in the ice, or to melt snow/ice. It has toxic chemicals.
I do hope you mean coarse kosher salt instead.

Mom11, I knew you would love that juicer ! Now you see why I use one.

Hmmm...I dunno then what I mean. I made the first batch with bought plain salt and it didn't taste as good as the second batch with our local salt.

I live in a town where there is salt in the ground and one of the industries here is to use the saltwater for thermal health cures, to dry the salt to use in curing for the famous Bayonne Ham, and use the salt fr cooking. It's lumpy and grainy and feels like fine gravel.

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salies-de-B%C3%A9arn

sorry, the link is in French because I can't figure out how to get it in English)

Archived