MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

do you have a cooking tip or kitchen poem or ?

do you have a cooking tip, a kitchen poem, or?

can we share it here please? I am still working on a survival cookbook for Mrs. S. the intent is (hopefully) it will be good enough to sell so at some point we can make this site self supporting or at least take the burden off the Princess! as we grow the site gets slower and we need upgrading.

Rather then beg for donations.. some of us thought it would be better to offer something really cool!

I work on the book from time to time and when running across the link I will post next it dawned on me... why not ask everyone for help?

the cookbook idea will be an attempt to use only food pantry items. out of eggs? now what? or recipes that don't use eggs or perhaps recipes with applesauce rather then oil?

so if you run across something on the net or have a favorite.. please share it here.

not all of these will make it.. but thought they were interesting enough to share.

To make basic vinaigrette salad dressing use 1 part white distilled vinegar to 4 parts oil.

Make creamy vinaigrette by adding some plain or whipped cream to a mixture of 1 part white distilled vinegar to 3 parts oil.

Tenderize meat with white distilled vinegar. Use it in marinades or when slow cooking any tough, inexpensive cuts of meat.

When poaching eggs, add a little white distilled vinegar to the water. The whites stay better formed.

For extra tenderness with boiling ribs or stew meat add a tablespoon of white distilled vinegar.

To add a zesty new taste to fresh fruits such as pears, cantaloupe, honeydew, or others, add a splash of rice or balsamic vinegar. Serve immediately to prevent the fruit from becoming mushy.

Freshen wilted vegetables by soaking them in cold water containing a spoonful or two of white distilled vinegar.

When boiling or steaming cauliflower, beets or other vegetables, add a teaspoon or two of white distilled vinegar to the water to help them keep their color. This will also improve their taste, and reduce gassy elements. This also works when cooking beans and bean dishes.

Make pasta less sticky and reduce some of its starch. Add just a dash of white distilled vinegar to the water as it cooks.

Give some extra zest to your white sauce by adding 1/2 teaspoon of white distilled vinegar.

Try cider or malt white distilled vinegar instead of ketchup with french fries—that’s how the British like to eat them. Either one is also great on fish or any fried or broiled meat.

Remove kitchen odors that come from burnt pots or when cooking certain foods by boiling a small amount of water with 1/4 cup white distilled vinegar so that the steam circulates throughout the room.

Make onion odors disappear from your hands by rubbing with white distilled vinegar.

Add moistness and taste to any chocolate cake—homemade or from a box—with a spoonful of white distilled vinegar.

To keep frosting from sugaring add a drop of white distilled vinegar. It will also help keep white frosting white and shiny.

Make perfect, fluffy meringue by adding a teaspoon of white distilled vinegar for every 3 to 4 egg whites used.

Perk up any can of soup or sauce with a teaspoon of red or white wine vinegar.

Eliminate the greasy taste in food cooked in a deep fryer by adding a dash of white distilled vinegar.

If you’ve added too much salt to a recipe, add a spoonful of white distilled vinegar and sugar to try correcting the taste.

Keep molded gelatin desserts and salads from sagging or melting in the summer heat by adding a teaspoon of white distilled vinegar for each box of gelatin used.

When making tuna salad add a dash of any herb-flavored white distilled vinegar.

Turn out great rice by adding a teaspoon of white distilled vinegar to the boiling water.

To make the perfect picnic potato salad dressing combine 1 cup mayonnaise, 3 tablespoons white distilled vinegar, 1 tablespoon sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon salt.

Olives or pimentos covered with white distilled vinegar can be kept almost indefinitely if refrigerated.

To keep eggs from cracking when boiling add a tablespoon or two of white distilled vinegar to water.

http://www.vinegartips.com/cooking/

Helpful tips, too?

Like if you add a bit of oil, margarine, or butter (pea-sized) to something that tends to boil over, like potatoes, they won't boil over. No need for those fancy gadgets.

Salt added to a pan of hard-boiled eggs helps keep the shells from cracking.

shrug

A poem from my grandma's kitchen plaque:

A Kitchen Prayer

Bless my pretty kitchen, Lord

And light it with thy love.

Help me plan and cook my meals

From thy heavenly home above.

Bless our meals with thy Presence

And warm them with thy grace;

Watch over me as I do my work

Washing pots and pans and plates.

The service which I am trying to do

Is to make my family content,

So bless my eager efforts Lord

And make them heaven sent.

One for us canners composed just for this auspicious occasion:

A Canner's Prayer (By Crazy4Canning)

Bless my crazy kitchen, Lord,

The messy counters and sticky floor;

The jars everywhere

And overflowing produce even more.

Send your angels to watch

As I use the pressure canner;

So that I am always processing

In a safe and careful manner.

Please help my jars be perfect,

Pristine in color and delight

And the cuts from using mandolines & knives,

May they heal with your power and might.

But most of all, Lord

Please let every jar 'ping'

So that in their glorious bounty

Your provision they may sing.

curtsey

No egg cake recipe:

Dutch Oven Black Forest Cake

2 cans Cherry Pie Filling

1 butter recipe fudge cake mix

1 12 oz can Coke or Sprite

Spray dutch oven with cooking spray. Pour pie filling in. Sprinkle dry cake mix over pie filling. Pour soda over cake mix. Don't stir.

Cook 400 deg for 40-45 minutes.

oh, oh....Virginia.... can we do this one over coals? Stephanie is bringing her boys to the get together.. you are coming right?

they would get such a kick out of pouring soda over this!

we... the boys! are the we are going to be making a cake in a dutch oven over coals! the we... adults get to watch!

Actually, I never got around to making this cake, but how bad could it be. Over the coals would work I would think, but Westie, you are the expert.

Hope the boys (and all) enjoy. Don't think I can make it over there, but we'll see. Have fun.

I found this one for Cherry-Pineapple dump-cake that is very simular.I would think it would work well in a dutch oven, and since it doesn't need such high heat, it might work better then the choc. version above. (Actually, an internet seach of "dump cake" turned up tons of recipes, including one for a pumpkin version that sounded like a tasty fall treat.)

Ingredients:

1 (20 ounces) can crushed pineapple, undrained

1 (21 ounces) can prepared more fruit cherry pie filling

1 (18.25 ounces) box yellow cake mix

2 sticks of butter or margarine, each cut into 12 slices

1/4 cup chopped nuts (your choice - optional)

Preparation:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (325 for glass baking dish). Have a 9 by 13-inch baking pan ready.

Dump undrained pineapple baking dish or pan and spread it out evenly.

Using a spoon, dump globs of cherry pie filling evenly on top of the pineapple.

Sprinkle the cake mix evenly over the cherry and pineapple layers.

Cut butter into slices with a butter knife and place slices evenly over cake mix.

Sprinkle nuts on top if you're using them.

Bake for one hour. Use heavy oven mitts to remove the dump cake from oven or let your older helper do it.

To serve, scoop cake out with a large spoon like a cobbler, and dump it on a nice plate. A scoop of vanilla ice cream is delicious with dump cake. Serve warm or cold.

Yield: about 10 to 12 servings

A Kitchen Prayer

Bless my pretty kitchen, Lord

And light it with thy love.

Help me plan and cook my meals

From thy heavenly home above.

Bless our meals with thy Presence

And warm them with thy grace;

Watch over me as I do my work

Washing pots and pans and plates.

The service which I am trying to do

Is to make my family content,

So bless my eager efforts Lord

And make them heaven sent.

I have this plaque on my wall too:?) It makes me smile with it's quaintness:?)

My mother had this hanging in her kitchen when I was a kid.

Dirty Dishes

Thank God for dirty dishes they have a tale to tell

While others may go hungry, were eating very well

With home, hearth and happiness, I should'nt want to fuss

Cause by the stack of evidence,

God's been very good to us.

Amen

I still love it.

I always buy whole milk. At the time of use, I mix it with half water to get an approximate 2% milk. This especially works well in cooking and baking, you will not be able to tell the difference. It cuts the price and the carbs in half. Be aware though that it also cuts the nutrients in half. Children under the age of two need all of the nutrients when drinking milk.

I stopped buying plastic wrap, bags and aluminum foil. Instead, I wash, dry and reuse all of these items that come with packaging into the house i.e. plastic bread bags, produce bags, cereal bags etc. and I wash and reuse my aluminum foil that I previously purchased.

You can use lemon-lime soda in the place of milk in your pancake recipes including using pancake mix.