3. grains

4. baking soda : cooking/cleaning/body care

5. honey

6. salt

7. solar batteries/charger

8. water purifier (tablets/liquid)

9. seeds (vegetables/fruit)

10. lighter or lighting fluid

1. no less then 90 days of easy to prepare canned meals!

notice I say.. no less then! it doesn't matter to me if you can the foods at home or buy them in the store!!! of course canning is better but..if you don't can don't sweat it!

for the new people or lurkers for the first time...

you don't need 3 meals a day. But two a day since in most cases there will be left overs. I can't stress the problem with appetite fatigue also called food fatigue! I will look for the link later to connect it here.

the idea behind this 90 days of easy to prepare foods is, if there is no power to cook food or heat it, you can open it and eat it cold. SOme of the items to look at is canned fruit, canned fish.. sardines and crackers, tuna, salmon, smoked oysters! canned soups..perhaps not the kind that is condensed, stews, baked beans! oh so sweet and makes a nice little dessert. I have seen cans of beef chunks and adding canned vegetables make a nice meaty stew or soup.

Canned pasta sauce but get the thin pastas like angel hair as it takes less time to cook it.. use the liquid from your canned vegetables if you need to. The pasta water is then used to make the soup and the starch in the water will thicken.

canned juice to drink, powdered milk or boxed soy or rice milks*, water... I think Twinkies and hostess cupcakes last forever don't they? LOL! hard candies, and gummy thingers.. don't they last forever too? little things for the kids! dried fruits and nuts. Instant puddings!

so to sum it up.. my number one item is 90 days worth of easy to prepare foods your family will eat including some fun things. Water and juice drinks, soda if you drink it but as a treat not as a "Mom, I'm thirsty!".

*Rice Milk... having tried every product on the market, Rice Dream rice milk -Vanilla is wonderful! soy milk.. ok, but when I poured if over the kids cereal..the looks on their face when this brown stuff can pouring out... well let's say..poor dears and I made them drink it! so after careful testing.. Rice Dream Rice Milk.. the kids loved! It is white, rich, a bit sweet. It will last a year. Just remember it isn't MILK! won't taste like milk! oh but what a great replacement!

Westbrook,

I thought great idea, rice milk sound wonderful. I'll get some and try it. so I did a web search for rice milk in the UK.

Hit one allowed me to buy the product

Hit two, was about the very high levels of inorganic arsenic, a known carcinogen in rice milk. http://www.rsc.org/AboutUs/News/PressRelea...ArsenicMilk.asp

Arsenic in rice milk exceeds EU and US drinking water standards

13 March 2008

Commercial rice milk contains levels of arsenic - a chronic human carcinogen - up to three times higher than EU and US drinking water standards, say researchers in the Royal Society of Chemistry's Journal of Environmental Monitoring.

They showed that of four brands of commercial rice milk tested, all exceeded the EU total arsenic standard of 10 µg l-1 - some by as much as three times. Eighty per cent of samples also failed to meet the US standard of 10 µg l-1 inorganic arsenic.

Also http://www.rsc.org/Publishing/ChemScience/...m_rice_milk.asp

Arsenic exposure from rice milk

19 March 2008

Researchers have found that levels of arsenic in rice milk exceed EU and US drinking water standards.

Andrew Meharg and colleagues at the University of Aberdeen, UK, have shown that people drinking rice milk are exposed to high levels of inorganic arsenic. It is well known that rice can contain high levels of, predominately inorganic, arsenic - a known human carcinogen. However the levels of inorganic arsenic in milk made from rice, a cow milk alternative for vegans and lactose intolerant sufferers, have not previously been of concern.

Meharg's team analysed samples of rice milk to see if inorganic arsenic transfers from the rice into the milk. They tested commercially available and home-made milks, made from globally sourced white and brown rice grains. And they also looked at arsenic levels in soy and oat milk.

Anrol

1. Water

(1500 gal cistern)

Big Berkey

2. Food

Home canned meat and meals and beans

Store canned beans, veggies and fruit

Dried fruits and veggies

Grains and dry beans

Condiments and spices

Sugar, honey, molasses

Chocolate

Green coffee beans

Tea

Herbs

Salt

3. Defense, guns and ammo

4. Clothing, all season and bedding

5. Sanitation

Toilet paper

Paper towels

Soap making supplies

Sawdust bucket and supplies

6. Lighting

Alladin lamps

Dietz lanterns

candles

LED lights

Flashlights

7. Generator and fuel

8. Canning supplies

9. Stuff to stay sane

Books, games, puzzles, communication

10. Cooking/heat

Grill

Propane stove

Kerosene stove

Wood stove

Grain mill

Manual can openers

Pressure canner

Yes, I fudged a bit. LOL How can you list ten items?

Top Ten....hmmmmm....how about top ten categories!! smile

1. Water ( stored, bought, rainbarrels and Berkey )

2. Cereals - packaged and grits and Oatmeal (intant, regular and Steel Cut)

3. Peanut Butter (jars from the store and powdered)

4. Dried beans (large variety)

5. Rice (several varieties, including some instant)

6. Bread (ingredients for making loaf bread, biscuits, tortillas)

7. First Aid/Medication (all prescribed meds-otc and first aids)

8. fruits and vegies (canned, frozen, dehydrated, fresh, all forms)

9. meats (processed, fresh, frozen, dehydrated, canned, all forms)

10. fuel ( for heating house, cooking food, running generators, using oil lamps.

OTHER HONORABLE MENTIONS

*OIL

*BOOKS (Bible - How To's - Educational - Classics)

*Solar Lanterns

*Paper Goods (napkins, toilet paper, paper plates,tissues,etc)

*Weapons and ammunition

*junk food and drinks and candy and chocolate

Oh geez...there's no end...I'll just stop there. rollingeyes

1. Water and/or means of procurement/treatment

2. Cash in hand, 1 months worth of disposable income

3. Liquid assets, 3 months worth of necessary expenditures (shelter, basic utilities, fuel for transportation).

4. Alternate means of shelter and transportation.

5. TP

6. Multiple means of self protection (dog, weapons/ammo, skills etc..)

7. 3-6m of shelf stable food and medicines

8. Alternate means of cooking/heating/lighting, including fuel, matches etc.

9. Batteries, chargers, radios for info and communication

10. Sanitation/Hygiene supplies and alternatives.

Honorable mention to:

Books, first aid supplies, comfort food/supplies, sturdy clothing/shoes, security features for shelter, back-up means of income and food production(seeds, tools etc), baby and feminine needs, air purification and/or secure location/shelter, key OT medicines(sleep aids, anti-diarrhea, vitamins, electrolyte replacement, expectorant, Vit C, garlic, etc..), back ups for all of the above.

soy milk... turns boys sissy! ROFL! I lied!

rice milk is made from rice.

http://www.tastethedream.com/products/category/202.php

oh goodness then maybe you better not try it or eat rice!

>"Of the samples of 'home-made' rice milk made by the researchers, all met US standards and only one failed to meet EU standards."<

homemade milk which is soaking the rice and straining.. short version... so if the liquid does not meet the standards then how can they allow rice to be sold to eat???

ah ha! it goes on to say....

>"It is questionable, the researchers say, if rice milk counts as a water substitute - where it would be regulated by these directives"<

it should not be compared to with water! water is water!!! Rice Milk is water and rice! not a water substitute at all!

of course it failed the standards! rolls eyes! like is like comparing milk to ice cream! while ice cream is made from milk it isn't milk!

silly scientists!

oh no!!!! then they say....

>"The authors also note that currently no maximum permissible concentration (MPC) for arsenic in food has been set by the Commission of European Communities - meaning arsenic levels in food are effectively unregulated in Europe and elsewhere."<

so they test rice milk but not your food??? I go back to saying do not eat rice! and maybe nothing is safe? how would they know, they have never tested the food you drink.

try the rice milk! rice dream ice cream is wonderful!

it is better then MILK! milk has BOVINE GROWTH HORMONES! turns boys into sissys! ROFL!.. I lied again! causes girls to develop sooner.. look around! has antibiotics in it.. no wonder we are having problems with infections.

I see that MANY of you have CANNED FOOD PRODUCTS listed.

Make sure you write ON THE TOP of the can what it is AND the use by date. In the event the label is destroyed you know what it is and when to use it by.

Yes, FOR THE MOST PART, canned goods are still safe to use after the use by date (provided they are not swollen or leaking), the flavor may be off a little and some nutritional value MAY have been lost though.

My List

1. Guns/Ammo

2. Medical supplies (prescription meds, VITAMINS, etc)

3. A MINIMUM of 90 days food for each person and more IS BETTER.

4. Emergency lighting (lanterns with extra batteries/fuel, flashlights, some 12 hour light sticks).

5. Extra clothing, especially warm weather clothing if you are in an area that gets snow. EACH PERSON SHOULD HAVE AT LEAST 2 PAIR OF DURABLE FOOTWEAR

6. Axes, hatchets, chain saws WITH extra gasoline/oil AND at least 2 extra chains per saw so you can get and cut wood for cooking/warmth. I also suggest 1 4"+ FIXED blade "hunting" knife per person. A knife comes in very handy for a variety of things, not to mention as a means of protection/defense also.

7. An "alternative" means of cooking such as a "solar oven or solar cooking box".

8. Water purification tablets/liquid and a reliable water filter WITH EXTRA FILTERS.

9. "How To" books for those areas where your knowledge/skill is weak or lacking. (Such as, Illustrated Edible Wild Plants; How to make, use and run a trot line, etc. )

10. About 200' of heavy duty nylon cord per person. This has many uses ranging from building a temporary shelter, to hanging things up, to you name it.

2. fuel - fuel for cooking! cooking can also heat your house. Fuel will heat water to keep your skin clean boiling water can sterilize medical stuff and canning jars. fuel can mean oil for oil lamps or propane for the BBQ or stove/oven.

Some use coal for heating so it could mean coal. Wood for your wood stove or fireplace, bbq charcoal..

what ever you need to prepare food and heat water... that is the fuel you need!

Originally Posted By: ol'momma
What..no body has any military surplus MRE's???

I was in the service and used to have to eat these things. Ewwww yuck, I used to trade others for the crackers and jelly or cheese for the whole meal. Id rather eat grass, which Im OK with as long as the dogs haven't gone in that area. :ROFL:

I like Prudy's list.

Let's see...If I had to choose just 10 of my things....

1) Water purifier

2) "multiple levels of defense" {I like that phrase} :slingshot:

3) my grains (wheat before any of the rest) & grinder

4) my livestock: milk goats, ducks, & horses(which are MS therapy)

5) Other stored foods

6) cutting tools

7) my SW/AM/FM solar-windUP radio with light

8) full set of clothes/footwear..layered from barely nuthin' to snowsuit

9) The many bags of BOB....

10) Medical supplies/equipment (cuz DH's medical knowledge is a barter 'item')

Oh heck....I've done this "10 items" thing dozens of times and I'm NEVER satisfied wtih it. [ gasp...I didn't even list chocolate ] But this is what I've focused on for the past 12 months. Either starting out or increasing these things. Cuz the edge is near ....or we're already OVER the edge. wave

MtRider [10...she says. TEN??? ...MtRider is not know for brevity, editing, nor throwing things out.... laughkick ]

It looks like some of you might survive three days in you camped out in your back yard where you could run inside if it rained or the phone rang.

you all should get in the real world and prepare for the worst, not just a fews days out with the scouts.

Do any of you have any idea what it is to go without food for a week, go to bed hungry and get up hungry, and only get water from a creek to drink.

you all should watch some WW2 film of people in Russia and Germany cutting meat off a dead horse in the road or read about them scraping the glue off wallpaper to eat which was made of flour in those days, i even remember my mother making wallpaper

paste out of flour and corn starch.

matches, better get a flint and steel for back up.

forget stocking toilet paper- costly and takes up too much room. hit the dumpster and grab some phone books.

chocolate-- depression-people starving

Water purification tablets

rice-wheat berries-lard sugar-salt-beans--a few hundred pounds of each.

gas- people in the SE can't find gas now,what happends if the whole world goes in the tank? how could they run a generator if they had one?

probably a 12 gauge pump and a few hundred slugs and a few hundred #4 and 6s wouldn't be a bad idea. I prefre a BP 50 cal and a BP 12 ga with plenty of powder and lead.

If the country ever went into a real depression along with the rest of the world, 60 million would probably starve in 30 days, another 100 million would be killed or hurt trying to get food from the people who have it in just this country. Even if our government had food, they have an army to feed, you can forget any soup lines.Some people think what's happening in the world is just a joke that can be called off when it get a little tough. JMO

I was in the service in my younger days, too - I didn't care for the main meal, but I like the freeze dried fruit (wasn't there a strawberry one?), and the brownies! They were just kind of cool.....:o)

Blessings,

Trisha

Good Morning Still,

Did someone wake up in a grumpy mood this morning? How about a cup of coffee, that's what I'm having. smile

I'm discovering more and that prepping is a process, or it certainly has been for me. We're all at differing levels of this process, facing differing circumstances financially, location wise, etc.

And we have to start somewhere. For many it's just buying an extra few cans of food or a pack of toilet paper. I myself tried to start with the suggested 72 hour kit then moved on to the 3 months, and etc... As I said it's a progressive thing.

I don't think that the people posting here on this thread are playing games, I think we're thinking and learning. And remember, this was just to be a list of ten things, not a complete list of all we're doing.

Stressfull times, when a little encouragement goes a long way.

bighug

Hi Stephanie,

Actually i'm in a good mood, been drinking tea and honey since 3:30 AM. It just makes my blood boil when I read some of the things that people think they are going to need to survive a depression which i hope never comes,( i also hope our law makers do not give the bail out)I've read and heard that about 60% of the people do not want it.

(((still)))

I'll be right over for some of that tea and honey. wink

Speaking of honey, I'd love to have a bee hive for producing that! If the world doesn't fall apart by Spring, we're going to try our hand at Bee Keeping. My oldest son (about to turn 14)says he'll be the chief Bee Keeper.

So, I'd like to add that to my list! Honey, which can sure make life sweeter, in the best and worst of times.

I honestly don't know what to think about the bail out and I'm praying fervently that God gives the people making the decisions wisdom beyond their own abilities.

praying

Originally Posted By: Stephanie

I'm discovering more and that prepping is a process, or it certainly has been for me. We're all at differing levels of this process, facing differing circumstances financially, location wise, etc.

And we have to start somewhere. For many it's just buying an extra few cans of food or a pack of toilet paper. I myself tried to start with the suggested 72 hour kit then moved on to the 3 months, and etc... As I said it's a progressive thing.

Yes, it's a progression for everyone. We may not all be at the most extreme level of preparedness - but we're working on it! Finding out what everyone else considers to be their top priorities is a way to learn what I might have overlooked in my own ignorance, so THANK YOU EVERYONE for sharing your knowledge and insights with us all.

Let's all remember one of the most important things - to be kind to each other while sharing our knowledge and thoughts. I consider it a blessing to have this group to talk with each day - and if the worst happens will miss you all and will pray for your well-being.

I agree that MOST people have no idea of what a survival situation would be.

I have a better idea than most. Many years ago I was in the Boy Scouts and, with their parents permission, took a pre selected group of 7 - 10 scouts on a one week "survival" camp out. I usually took out 3 groups a year.

They were allowed the following items ONLY:

1 hunting knife.

1 compass

3 waterproofed "strike on any surface" matches.

25' of 10 lb test monofilament fish line.

2 #6 fish hooks.

3 large bandaids.

1 small bottle of mercurichrome

6 water sanitizing pills

1 extra pair of socks

1 5'x7' piece of plastic OR 1 poncho.

I also carried a 2 way radio, a hatchet and a larger first aid kit. I checked in with a "base" 3 times a day.

We would hike about 10 miles into the woods to a small lake. There we set up camp and lived for 7 days.

They built their own shelters, found and cooked their own food, made their own cooking utensils and learned to work together as a team.

At the end of the week they were a little dirtier than when we started (not much though), but healthy (typical weight loss was about 3 lbs), in better physical condition and looking forward to doing it again the following year.

The scouts I took out learned a lot about surviving in the wild. Several years ago I ran into one of the scouts I had taken on one of the "survival" camp outs. He told me that it was one of the best things he had ever done. The camping trip made him more self reliant and taught him to be aware of his surroundings at all times. He even said that his coming back from Viet Nam was, in a great part, due to what he learned on that camping trip.

In the 4 years I did this I had only one major accident. One of the boys was climbing a rock ledge (after I told everyone to stay off it), fell and broke his leg. Fortunately, it was shortly before my noon check in. We splinted his leg, made a litter and carried him 3 miles to an open field where they sent in a helicopter to get him out (Where we were was not accessable by a 4x4 vehicle).

Wow, great stuff here! Thanks everybody - this is a jumpstart if ever I saw one. wink

Quote:
I think Twinkies and hostess cupcakes last forever don't they?

I vote that the best tip!

BASICS ON THE CHEAP:

Water, water, and more water.

Beans and rice, Rice and beans, Beans and rice (both make a complete protein) with seasoning packets of all flavors

Canned vegetables/fruits and Ramen noodles, chicken and beef

Bean sprouts and rig your own sprouting jars or containers

For cooking, a propane camp stove with bottles of propane

Figure a way to stay warm. If all you have is a fireplace, then go ahead and get your wood ready (seasoned) and plan to hang tarp to make a small room around the fireplace, being careful of course to keep flammables away from the heat. The enclosed space will stay warmer than the rest of the house. When sleeping wear your soft winter hat and put socks on your feet. Thermal underwear, both tops and bottoms. Important: battery powered carbon monoxide detector.

Vitamin C tablets and multi-vitamins

All things paper so you use less water (TP, paper towels, paper plates and cups)

Camp toilet and plastic bags to play catcher, along with bleach

Bandages, hydrogen peroxide, medicines, soap and hand lotion, suitable for face too (unless you're used to having chapped, raw skin)

I have absolutely no intention of running and hiding in the woods and trying to survive, thank you. That may work for some young and healthy people without little kids, elderly or handicapped to care for. Those of us with health problems and dependents who are not able to flee through the woods are preparing for staying at home and surviving. If we MUST leave, hopefully it will be for a short time, but running and hiding in the woods is not an option. I am trying to prep so that we will not only survive, but thrive.