MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cat

Red Flags for a Looming Crisis - PART 7

More, more, more...

I guess to no longer see "flags" means we're *THERE*, so let's keep looking... shrug

Link to "Red Flags Part 6"

My understanding is the the "shortage" of gas is because folks have panicked and are filling every container they have with gas. The pipeline hasn't caught up and some of the refineries are still not producing. They will probably get going soon, since the electric companies are really working hard to restore power to the refineries. Once folks calm down a bit they will most likely want to use the gas in their cans first and things should even out.

One flag I've seen this week, Chesapeake Energy who has been drilling natural gas wells here, in Texas, Arkansas and several states has started shutting wells in until nat. gas reaches at least $8.15 ( I hope that is the right amount). Right now gas is in the $7.50 or so range. They said they were losing money at the current price. So not only is the inventory of gasoline going down each week, refineries and gas pipelines are still shut down from Ike, now we have new wells being shut down because they are losing money at this price. Our new motto may well be "got beans, got gasoline, got bullets!"

Originally Posted By: CrabGrassAcres
My understanding is the the "shortage" of gas is because folks have panicked and are filling every container they have with gas. The pipeline hasn't caught up and some of the refineries are still not producing. They will probably get going soon, since the electric companies are really working hard to restore power to the refineries. Once folks calm down a bit they will most likely want to use the gas in their cans first and things should even out.

This is what they have been saying on the news, but Im dont believe it. I think they are sayings it people hording because they are in a panic that is causing this just to get everyone not to panic. This has been going on for a couple weeks now. I pass by several gas stations every day (at least 5) and they are all out of gas. When they do get a truck, the lines are stretched way down the street. I have yet to see a single person filling up gas cans. I live in the city and I dont think people are hording here.

I was at a party last night and it was the talk of the night. Several of us have been talking about how a tnak of gas normally lasts us a few weeks and how we have really been cutting back to conserve. Traffic is lighter these days too.

Originally Posted By: yarrow
So what do you think will happen when food gets in short supply full time?

People will be very very hungry.

People will be very very angry.

(Read Stephanie's post on her kids and how they reacted when not getting the right food soon enough. If that can happen to good kids, imagine what could happen to adults who are not so well behaved.)

We are a people who are used to eating, and folks will simply not know how to endure an empty belly past 4 hours. They just won't understand how. frown Of course, that means desperation. frown

We talked to a friend who lives in the Port Arthur, Texas area. This area has a LOT of refineries. They had SEVERE flooding (12' at one jobsite). The problem is not just the power. He worked for a company that provides people to do maintenance work in refineries. They have told him that they don't expect his jobsite to reopen for about 6 months. Too much damage.

Port Arthur is below sea level like New Orleans. Their levee is 19' but it held. Anything outside the levee got clobbered and some(if not all) of the refineries are outside the levee.

The closest large city to me is Memphis. After some short problems, I haven't had any problem finding gas. Since I am so far out, most places will restrict how much gas you can buy in this case. A store owner explained his position to me after Katrina. He lives down here and he wanted to make sure to spread it around as it is a drive to get to somewhere else to get gas. If I have a choice between buying from them or the Citgo that doesn't worry about things like that, I buy from them.

We are in West Central MS. No shortages here that I know of....we had rationing, limits and shortages right before and after the hurricane but everything seems to be ok now.

No shortages here in SoWest KY. Matter of fact, the prices are going down a little. Reg was $3.64 Sat afternoon.

But-- I saw something at Walmart Friday that I hadn't noticed before. Empty shelves. Whole sections that were cleaned out. And not the fluffy stuff, items like canned beans,salt and vinegar. I don't know if it was a problem with supply, or if there was a run on the stuff after all the bad economy news this past week. Kerosene lamps were gone too. And I need some.

Hi Ive been busy and havent posted in awhile.

Im in Indiana and 2x in the past 2 weeks the gas staions in my area have been out of gas! Dh was going to fill up and no gas to be found local. There were cars at the tanks and folks standing around talking dh did not pull in to talk to men he knew he said it looked like a mob. Thats not normal for dh he likes to chew the fat with the other men around here.

Wow!

Thank you for the post ScrubbieLady. I have been trying to find out about the refinery situation with online searches and you have just given me more information then I could dig out.

All you find with Google searches is things about refineries restarting and other things that sound good.

I think that is also a big red flag. The news is being slanted here, and not to our benefit at all! I'm afraid that the lesson here is to NOT believe news sources in any sort of an emergancy or disaster situation.

I'm off to can and prep some more.....

Two friends that had previously been uninterested in the economy e-mailed me on Friday asking about preparedness. One asked about food storage and the other asked if they could camp on our property should TSHTF. People are seeing and hearing.

Originally Posted By: TeamBettendorf
Two friends that had previously been uninterested in the economy e-mailed me on Friday asking about preparedness. One asked about food storage and the other asked if they could camp on our property should TSHTF. People are seeing and hearing.

Now Katie, I have a firm policy on this kind of thing. But sure would like to hear your opinion on this one.
What would you do if you prepped your fingers to the bone and see people that didn't do anything about prepping, show up on your doorstep?
There you are with enough food and fuel for your family, are you going to risk the lives of your children for those that went on holiday twice a year and bought new cars while you were saving and scrimping?

Hmm maybe this is a thread-jack and it should be a different topic. But as my prepping and reactions of others are so closely linked, thining about others is a major part of my prepping.

On the gas situation, just to let you know, things look very normal up here in the Pacific Northwest. At least in my part of it. No gas lines or gas shortages. In July, regular gas was over $4. It's now at about $3.40 and holding.

Must be that this thing is hitting from the midwest south.

Prices are sure taking off, tho. frown

>>>>>the other asked if they could camp on our property should TSHTF.<<<<

This statement raised a red flag for me too. I have had certain extended family members tell me that if something happens they are heading to my house. It really bothers me that they wont (its not a matter of cant, they have $$) prepare for their own families. Excuse my language, but it takes a mighty big pair of balls to expect ME to take care of THEM when they wont do anything to help themselves and their own children!

Just found this on Drudge Report:

http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/e...-shortage_N.htm

No quick end to gas shortage in Southeast

By Larry Copeland, USA TODAY

ATLANTA — A storm-related gas shortage in the Southeast that has left some places bone-dry and others with two-hour gas lines is expected to continue for at least another two weeks, energy experts and industry officials say.

The shortage began two weeks after Hurricane Gustav hit the oil-refining regions of the Gulf Coast on Sept. 1. Operations that shut down before that storm were just coming back online when Hurricane Ike hit, forcing another shutdown. The gas shortage, now in its third week, is particularly acute here in sprawling Atlanta, in Nashville in parts of the Carolinas and in Anniston, Ala.

"I don't go anywhere once I find some and get my tank filled up," says Alicia Woods, 32, who waited 45 minutes to fill up Sunday morning at a QuikTrip in Cobb County, Ga. "Going out, visiting friends, all that just has to wait. I have to keep my gas for getting back and forth to work."

Long gas lines continued to plague the Charlotte area over the weekend. Asheville, N.C., shut down some government offices Friday.

"Things were pretty severe to the point gas stations did not have gas, and the ones that did have gas had an hour to two-hour wait," said city spokeswoman Trisha Hardin.

The pipelines that supply the region are operating at less than normal capacity, due largely to storm-related power outages at Texas refineries, said Kenneth Medlock, energy fellow at the Baker Institute, a non-partisan public policy think tank at Rice University in Houston.

The Southeast, the only region of the nation that has no oil refining or major gasoline storage capacity, pumps all of its gasoline in by pipeline, he said.

"In isolation, neither of these storms would have been that big a deal, because there's enough inventory (at stations) to make up the shortfall," said Medlock. "But there was a three- to four-week period of refinery capacity not operating. That's basically a month when nothing's being produced."

Panic buying — drivers topping off every time they happen across a station that actually has gas — made the problem worse, said Marylee Booth, executive director of the Tennessee Oil Marketers Association.

"If people saw a tanker drive up to a station, they'd start lining up. The panic has died down. It's getting a little better every day."

Gary Harris, executive director of the North Carolina Petroleum and Convenience Marketers, whose members sell about 90% of the gasoline in North Carolina, says he expects two to four more weeks of shortages. "There was a lot of panic buying fueled by media coverage of the shortage," he says. "Now, it's hard to catch up."

The shortage has residents like Woods changing their habits. There was even talk of canceling Saturday's highly-anticipated football game in Athens between the University of Georgia and the University of Alabama, which Republican Gov. Sonny Perdue dismissed as "ridiculous."

Public transit ridership is soaring, more employees are telecommuting or working shorter weeks and Perdue is closely monitoring the situation in case it becomes necessary to close schools or take other steps, says his press secretary Bert Brantley.

Wow, that really makes it hit home doesn't it? I discussed this in relation to our upcoming trip in 10 days! and dh said that once we hit TN we would just fill up every time we hit 1/2 and pray we make it to FL without any trouble. I have an uncle that lives in Manchester TN (south of Nashville) and I have a call into him about what it is like there. I am praying that this will work out. We have planned and saved for this trip for forever and it may be the last one that we are able to take.

Blessings,

Carie

Two things.

Metal hunters are out and about in large numbers. Used to be we had to find the number of a man to come pick up metal. Now we have guys scouring the neighborhoods and asking if they can have the metal (better than stealing it...I'm so glad!).

I don't know what people do with metal, but there are guys out collecting it.

The second thing is really sad. I was at the grocery store this morning, and a lady in a store shirt told another lady behind the checkstand, "There's someone digging in the garbage can."

The checkstand lady said, "Tell them to stop. Tell them to stop now!"

So the second lady goes out to do that. And I'm thinking of these poor homeless guys that travel thru our town to another town.

I get outside, and find it's a casually but nicely dressed gentleman in his late 50s. frown The lady spoke to him, and he was polite and took his bag of whatever he found and walked back to his pretty nice car.

I don't know what that means, but it really disturbed me. frown

Shurleen, they throw away perfectly good food when the packaging changes, lots of greenies are eating "freegan" these days in protest, he might have been one of them. That's more a sign of American abundance though.

Ditto the scrap hunters. I had over fifteen people wanting a few small items of scrap I posted to freecycle a little while back. My neighbor got rid of some within 1/2 hour on Saturday by setting it in his driveway.

I personally know eight families on the brink of foreclosure.

The number of people needing food at the food pantry I volunteer at has tripled in the last six months, and many of those in line are men where it used to be only women.

I've gotten four bills that had "emergency preparedness" flyers in them from ready.gov or FEMA or the Red Cross.

Originally Posted By: okiecountrygirl
They are selling the scrap metal. It is very high and has been all summer. We've had many thefts around here because of it.

Yah, good prices. We sold off two combines that had been rusting away in the weeds for 20 years this summer.

Heads up. The scrap market is going down, very fast. We have a friend in the scrap business and he is still hauling it but says that it's really gone down in just the last week. He is cleaning out his storage area to get it all out before it goes down further.

China normally takes all our surplus scrap and I wonder if perhaps they don't need it now or can't afford to pay premium prices because WE aren't buying it back in the form of goods. shrug

bighug

We've had no gas rationing here in South fla. but that could be because we have the port and all the oil storage tanks.

Metal theft is at a all time high and crime is on the rise

*Squatting in forclosed homes is a new and odd problem

I mean if someone pulled up in a driveway and started unloading into a house you'd think they'd live there

NYDebbie, if you are looking for info on the damage from Hurricane Ike, try www.kfdm.com. That is the local newspaper in Port Arthur, Texas. May have to wade through it but you will get better info that using google.