MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What to do with all those apples!?!

Powd. and liquid pectin are not interchangeable. They are added at different times during making the jam. Normally it will never gel if you use the wrong type for your recipe. Sorry !

Here is a liquid pectin recipe. You can leave out the raisins, of course.

Dutch Apple Pie Jam

1 pound tart green apples

1/2 cup raisins

1 cup water

1/3 cup lemon juice

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon ground allspice

4 1/2 cups granulated sugar

1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar

1/2 teaspoon butter or margarine

1 pouch Certo liquid fruit pectin

Peel, core and finely chop enough apples to measure 2 cups.

Place in large pan with raisins, water, lemon juice, cinnamon and allspice.

Stir in sugars and butter or margarine.

Place pan over over high heat and stir until it comes to a full boil. Boil hard for 1 minute, stirring constantly.

Remove from heat and immediately stir in liquid fruit pectin.

Bring to full rolling boil and boil hard for one minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.

Stir and skim foam for 5 minutes to prevent floating fruit. Pour quickly into jars, filling up to 1/2 in from the rim. Process in BWB for 10 min.

Yeah, I know they're added at different times. I didn't add the liquid pectin until I had brought the other to a rolling boil. I just did it like I do other jams, but alas it didn't set.

I'll try this recipe next.

• 11 years later...

Good post.    You can also make up apple pie filling to can. Then make pies when you want desert.  Apples won't be around here till end of August. I plan on getting some for applesauce as DH takes his meds with applesauce.

• Like 1

I usually make apple butter.  It also works for peach butter or pear butter or puree chunkier for apple sauce, pear sauce, peach sauce.  I never measure the spices but I've been doing it for decades so I know how it should 'look' for me.  Sometimes I make half pints to give away or quarts because we eat so much.   Sometimes I leave on a bit of peel and sometimes I make apple syrup with the peel by boiling it in water, straining, adding sugar and cooking it down to syrup consistency.  

Apple Butter

4 lb apples

4c sugar

Spices to taste:

Cinnamon, Cloves, Cardamom, Ginger 

Wash, peel, quarter apples.  Combine with 2c water and simmer till soft.  Puree.  Measure 2 QT pulp and combine with remainder.  Cook slow until desired consistency.  Process pints 10m in water bath.  yield 3 pints.  

Edited by euphrasyne
  • Like 3

We got a few apples & I was thinking of this thread for making pectin.  Unfortunately, the apples were so ripe, the seeds had started to grow inside them.  Hoping to have an apple tree growing in the kitchen soon.  Lol. I made turnovers, and dehydrated the rest.

According to Violet & others, the apples need to be green, barely ripe, to make pectin.

• Like 4