MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

SHEEPLE ARE SHOPPING

Had to work out of town today so went into the Winco located there at about 1:00 in the afternoon. It was PACKED, people had overflowing carts and what really annoyed me was that the bulk food bins were decimated! I go into that store everytime I work in that city (about 2-4 times a month) and I'm the only one who is ever in the bulk section. In fact, I clear out their wheat berries and powdered milk everytime I go in. Today, even those items were totally empty. I talked to the Bulk Foods manager who knows me quite well now, and she said they've had a run for the past 5 days and a lot of the basics (wheat, powdered milk, bulgar, etc) keep getting shorted on their daily orders.

This is a HUGE RED FLAG for me.

I bought enough vanilla, mollases, salt to last the next several baking seasons, a couple of flats of chilli and fruit and left. And even though my cart wasn't completely overflowing, I still got knowing looks.

I'm done prepping. I think here in Central California the panic has hit and it's time for me to hole up with the family. (Luckily, I did my panic buying on Monday! grin)

Got vanilla?

P.S. The store workers were in complete shock with the turnout. One of them asked the manager what was going on. Guess none of them knew that the stock market had closed, and was down so much.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, it's getting bad here too. Everytime the marked drops the stores fill up. I just try and buy what I need that's available and keep plugging along. We're no where's near prepared, except for beans and rice, canned carrots, peanut butter, and salsa.

We just try and pick-up something everytime we go out to the store, even if it's just a bar of soap, or a can of tomatoes. It all adds up.

Originally Posted By: twilap
Yeah, it's getting bad here too. Everytime the marked drops the stores fill up. I just try and buy what I need that's available and keep plugging along. We're no where's near prepared, except for beans and rice, canned carrots, peanut butter, and salsa.

We just try and pick-up something everytime we go out to the store, even if it's just a bar of soap, or a can of tomatoes. It all adds up.

I do the same thing, too. Even if it's just two or three little things, I figure I am better off than I was before.

I can't say I've seen lots of people stocking up here (I know someone must be, because the shelves do look bare in some places), but if they are, I'm going to look at it as a good thing - if they have provisions, they'll stay away from looting/stealing or having to hit up charity for that much longer.

We do the same thing here. We've been putting a little away each week. We are nowhere near prepped, but we are getting farther along each week.

As for the stores, I'm really not seeing any panic here. Maybe the people in this area feel immune to the problems. We are safer than many areas because of the amount of government employment, but definately not safe.

And the stores here do not have bulk sections. I haven't seen a bulk food bin for about 10 years.

Hmmmm....I'm headed out to the stores today, and I'm curious to see how things are going aroung here. I'll pay extra attention and report back when I can.

Cootie, I was only out for about 15 minutes and what I noticed is at my bank, BOA, all the atm's were in use at the same time. Now this is 10 am Los Angeles and when I go during this of the morning, I'm usually the only one there. I was a bit shocked to see so many people there. But then again Monday is Columbus Day and the banks will be closed.

Well, I'm back from running errands and shopping. Didn't really notice anything different, except for the fact that there were more people riding bikes along the side of the road than what I usually see.

I spent most of the afternoon at Walmart, and it was a bit busier than normal. One thing that got my attention was, they wre almost completely out of the Walmart brand of canned goods. I was going to buy some carrots and creamed corn, and not a single can was on the shelves. The canned beans were out too.

And I was going to pick up a couple of kerosene lamps. They were out of them also. The only time I have seen them run out was during the ice storm we had this past Feb.

People were shopping, but hardly anybody was buying just "stuff". A couple of people were buying some toys, but for the most part it was food, blankets and clothes.

I had to wait a few extra days for my 2nd payday, so then had to shop on Friday, which I loath! Naturally, with the scares, the local general groceries who were out of many things, especially the cheap stuff: but there were load of chips, dips, high-end foods, and all the Frills-of-the-thrills !

I also went to a few thrift shops, as I never know what I shall find there, and these places were crowded with people grabbing up all sorts of things! Shopping carts filled with clothes, household goods, lamps, toys, etc......Panic buying I suppose, maybe my earlier musings-of-a prediction on a mass migration to this area is coming to pass?? I wonder!

My concern was the way people were driving, erratically, others aggressively, many as tho they were in some sort of daze. I witnessed several accidents, and saw the aftermath of others! We are a small town, I’m so glad this in not a big city!

I don’t have too much stored up, I’d say about 3 or 4 months worth of staples, but it’s a head-start anyway. I do believe in trusting God, and know he will supply. But I also read about the wise ants, as Solomon tells us of in Proverbs chapter 6.! Me thinks we are in for an interesting roller-coaster ride, me do! Anyway God shall supply and watch over us!

I was at Costco today. There was plenty on the shelves, and there wasn't more than the usual number of people there. HOWEVER, I am an Executive member and was there at opening, 10 AM, while the store doesn't open to the general membership until 11 AM.

50 pounds of sugar was $20.69! Is that about typical? I haven't bought white sugar for several years, since we rarely use it! I have been learning to can and used up all my stored sugar.

Well if those of you that have small children are smart ya better stock up un childrens tylenol, motrin, and benadryl because the feds are talking about pulling it off the shelves and making them prescriptions again. Saw it on T.V. last week.

DD#1 had 8 year old son allergic to everything and there are times that we have to use alot of benadryl for hives and itching.

All the stores were busy here too. Looked like just buying groceries on pay day, but a couple looked like prepping where they had multiple items like 5 jars of peanut butter, but who knows. The camping section was really busy, but it is hunting season. I saw a lot of trucks loaded with supplies that looked like camping stuff and I am sure they are going hunting.

Ditto what preparing said. Lots of stocking up and camping stuff...but hunting season is pretty big here, so I'm guessing that's it.

Very busy in one grocery store that I didn't expect. It was a store that is usually a bit more high priced and doesn't do bulk items or large items like 50lbs of flour.

So I was surprised to see them so busy, much more busy than they usually are. Not sure what that meant.

Costco/Sam’sClub/Co-oops are a good idea anytime, PROVIDED we purchase at “savings” beyond the membership charge! I Go to BULK food stores any time I can, 10 Pounds of Bread Flour @ 6.10 is less that ½ price of 14.23 per 10 lb bag elsewhere! The Bulk Food store near me, also says I may purchase any amount, ( beyond the sizes normally offered on the shelves) up to the size bag, box, crate, they get in, at a 10% discount! Naturally I need to watch prices no-matter where I shop!

Mom taught me well, My experiences as both a restaurant, & sandwich shops ’s manager helps me with certain insights as well. But, I find I can never know it all, and that I really need to learn everyday, and I do try !

Well if those of you that have small children are smart ya better stock up un childrens tylenol, motrin, and benadryl because the feds are talking about pulling it off the shelves and making them prescriptions again. Saw it on T.V. last week.
DD#1 had 8 year old son allergic to everything and there are times that we have to use alot of benadryl for hives and itching.

Thanks for this. I hadn't heard this and that is not something I want to be without.

My understanding about the tylenol motrin was that it was the COLD ones. Not the regular fever reducer etc. Still plan on picking up some.

Our local store was PACKED wednesday night. I ran in to pick up some medication for a friend of mine and I have NEVER seen it that packed before. 10 plus ppl in each checkout line. All lines open everyone with full carts. Looked like the day before thanksgiving.

It's only the cold versions of these products, not the regular tylenol and motrin. Study after study has shown that the children's cold products have little to no effect, and some can be quite dangerous with adverse reactions such as effecting the child's heart rhythm.

Well it is so so here. I live in rural NC and there is alot of home gardens around me and a college. So the dairy is always in need of restock (moms & dads buying fresh milk) the snack foods always need restocking (college kids) the dry beans and rice always need restocking (migrant workers) but sugar, flour, salt, canned goods, pasta, all in good supply.

I have noticed those those "convient" foods, like the frozen pizzas, crockpot meals, lasagna, box dinners like hamburger helper, chicken helper...you know what sheeple (who can't really cook) use when they think they are cooking from scratch...are getting rotated more often.

Saturday is always a big shopping day but at Target people were buying lots of clothes. I don't know if families didn't have money for clothes at back to school time or if they were Christmas shopping. i was seeing basics and not fluff. People are using their money for food, clothes and gas.

Several of the guys at our church work for a grocery warehouse. they have been putting in overtime, as the sales of Kroger label goods have shot thru the roof. The pricier brands, including ones that are privately delivered (frito-lay, sara lee, rainbo, etc) - their sales have slowed.