MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE THIS WEEK TO PREPARE? PART 33

Cat

Well, I have been needing to organize and inventory. Just can't seem to do it. However, this morning going through canned goods to get some for our church pantry, I find several cans stuck in black gunk in the cabinet. Traced the source to a can of mandarine organes that had rusted and leaked all the juice out, apparently some time ago. So, now the whole thing is cleaned out, getting rotated and put back in order.

I recently found a plastic milk gallon of water that was slowly leaking in another pantry, and had soaked the bottom of a bag of sugar. I am thinking I need to check and rotate more often.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good afternoon all,

I am SO HAPPY! My husband VOLUNTEERED to go and buy two cases of printing paper and a new printer(half off) when I said I wanted to make binders!! This is a near miracle because I have been buying a little here and there "extra" to put up (before I saw this site) and talking about the "maranatha" factor. SImply put, he tolerated me, most of the time, but he definitely thought I was NUTS!

I feel like I have taken the hill!!! marine2

Maranatha!

MOnique

My favorite Miso soup was on sale and so I stocked up! Ive spent today chopping, blanching and freezing green beans.

My list of things I have is getting much longer than the list of things I need and thats a great feeling.

Ive also cleared out a spot to put a cabinet for storage. Going to take a trip to Ikea soon.

Even though I live in a small travel trailer and my preps have been limitd to the financial.(Paying off all bills), today I bought small amts of dried beans, rice and some canned goods. Right now the closet is an extra pantry. Soon we will start putting foods in totes in the truck for extra space. That is all for this week.

I made a trip to the discount grocery store today and picked up a few things:

1 can Crisco shortening

10 lbs. corn meal

25 lbs. flour

3 boxes of instant potatoes

1 lg. jug of Hersheys syrup

2 cans chili dog sauce

6 jars of spices

1 jar mayo

2 boxes of manicotti pasta

4 cans apple slices

2 boxes canning jar lids

400 ft. plastic wrap

4 cans tomato sauce

Plan on printing off info from sites that I want to know. I plan on doing this at my college using their paper and Ink. I never print stuff there.

While I was gone this past week visiting a friend in Baltimore and for a shorter visit than planned at Darlene's, my DH reached into a tote to pull some camping fuel pellets out and found something nasty....

Evidently a tiny can of fruit or mandarins leaked all over the top of some MRE's. These were not military issue but the kind sold to civilians. He bought them from eBay, I think. The cardboard boxes and clear packets were slimy and foul with yuck...There is a sad side to this story. There was supposed to be a variety of entrees and side dishes, but there WAS NOT. They had ultra cheap forks, no knives, spice packets, no TP or even mints. They had an entree, shortbread cookie, fruit bar, flimsy fork, and no heaters. Now, we know better than to but these cheap things, but let this be a lesson to avoid ....

http://www.mreinfo.com/civilian/mre/civilian-mres.html

He bought them because they were cheaper than MRE's and supposed to be just as high in calories. Well, they're not. You wouldn't starve on these, just lose a bit of weight, not to mention die of appetite fatigue. BTW, the shortbread is perfectly good. Yes, I tried it. The fruit bars are kind of stale, but edible. Haven't been able to bring myself to try an entree yet....

So, I came home to find a counter cluttered with backpack stuff and 3 quart bags of apples he himself had cut, peeled, dried and stored in zippies.

He had sorted all the 'fake' MRE's into rubbermaid and they are heading back down into the basement. The backpack stuff is going away as well. It is always good to take stock and clean things out. smile

Put away piles of books, straightened table tops, sorted more stuff to shred. Have to sort through stuff to make up binders with depending on category. Folded dry clothes, and I can see the bottom of my craft table! Gee maybe I can get to some sewing now! Want to do some of that and making some candles this week. Maybe tomorrow afternoon I can do the candles if I can get some stearic acid or equal to it. Goin' to the big town to shop tomorrow. Stearic acid and potatoes probably, lol.

Still on a roll here tonight.

I am working on a spreadsheet to see what I have. Put a little bit more cash away. I started the sourdough starter and made bread. I bought a yogurt maker. I did learn here how to do it in the over or with the cooler, so I might need that if the electricity was off. I am on my second batch today. Getting the right flavor seems to be the hardest part. Bought a few more items that I am short on, mostly baking things like vanilla, shortening, yeast, powdered milk.

Originally Posted By: Virginia
Well, I have been needing to organize and inventory. Just can't seem to do it. However, this morning going through canned goods to get some for our church pantry, I find several cans stuck in black gunk in the cabinet. Traced the source to a can of mandarine organes that had rusted and leaked all the juice out, apparently some time ago. So, now the whole thing is cleaned out, getting rotated and put back in order.

I recently found a plastic milk gallon of water that was slowly leaking in another pantry, and had soaked the bottom of a bag of sugar. I am thinking I need to check and rotate more often.

The plastic milk containers are not that good for storing water (or dry goods either). The plastic they are made from IS DESIGNED to breakdown. In a dark place it takes about a year before they start to leak.

2 liter and 1 liter soda bottles are substantially better for water storage (and most dry goods also).

Yes, I learned the hard way about the milk cartons.

I meant to type "oranges" on the leaking thing, and I notice now C4C also had canned oranges leak. I think I am going to put the rest of them that I have in plastic or eat them up. I am not buying them again, since they are all from China.

The only thing I ever had leak was a can of cranberry sauce that got shoved to the back of the cupboard. What a mess! I put it in the trash and daughter pulled it back out and I put it in and she pulled it out so I had to get it out of the house. Good thing she isn't able to open cans herself!

Virginia,

I noticed while I was doing my pantry that the mandarins had been in there for literally YEARS. So, I'm making a jello salad and eating them up. I refuse to have a mess in the pantry caused by my own carelessness.

I picked up the Ball canning book (suggested on this site) - and it's a fantastic book btw. Also found a GREAT, old pressure canner at a garage sale this weekend for $10. It is in great shape, good seal and has the guage and even the old book about it. I also got some "fuel" for various things, some replacement parts etc. I'm really having fun stocking up on things.....they are announcing layoffs tomorrow so we'll see.

Good evening all,

I have added to my preps significantly in the last three days. I bought fo Walmart

five pocket knives (a buck)

a hunting pack for DH's BOB

2 cans of propane fuel for camp stove

potable water treater

warmers for feet and whole body

MY FIRST TARP!

1000 zip ties

I also founda sale on Pinto beans (dry) .75 got 10 bags

canning jars

5 bags of charcoal

20 bags of figatoni pasta (2/a buck)

15 cartons chicken and beef broth 4 cups each

two bags of cinnamon sticks (I can grate as I need)

My brown bread came in (with raisins

My quick oats from LDS (in 6 days - they said 2-3 weeks!)

15 bars of soap

20 toothbrushes

more hand sanitizer

a manual tin can sealing machine (ives way)

long storage milk

This may not seem like a lot to you, but I have only begun a short time ago, and am now needing to come up with places to put the items.

I,too am glad for the short reprieve from the craziness. Everyday puts be futher ahead than the day before.

maranatha!

Monique

Archived