MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE THIS WEEK TO PREPARE? PART 33

I got 2 cases of water, and more food for my FS, canned soups, dried fruit, canned veggies and some pudding mix, not much, but better than nothing, especially with food stamps. I try to spend about $75-100 on Food Storage every month, but our benefit could be going down for a few months and then it will be back up once my son comes home. I am considering trying to order some wheat and a few other things off the Church website, but I learned that we have a storehouse in DC that is only a few hours away and I can go with some friends and stock up for less than the cost of shipping for the size order I will have.

I am planning on hitting Sams for some staples this week and next. I really want some rice in the house, and oil, etc... I know where I can get some really good bargains at the cheapie stores and I am planning on getting my dehydrator going again.

Oh yeah, and I am gonna study for school, and work cleaning houses so I can pay the bills. They never go away! but I am working diligently on it.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cheer Way to go, Dianne!

Food stamps stretch SO much further if you're buying staples. I had a friend who fed her kids better after getting food stamps than in *years* with her husband. But she bought flour, sugar, beans, rice, yogurt, etc.

Keep it up... sounds like you're *going places*!!!!! cheer

bighug

I went ten days without setting foot in a grocery store. The only complaint was about the powdered milk and that was easily solved with chocolate syrup.

All the cooking skills I've learned and my bulk food stores are serving me very well indeed! The fresh baked bread and soups made everything easy.

I refill the fridge and replace what we ate from the larder tomorrow, and feel much better about things after this test.

I need more tests, for example, what if the power and gas are out - but that won't be for a couple weeks. I want it to be cold enough outside that I'm running the woodstove for heat.

I also have a backyard grill with 2 spare propane tanks, a small firepit in the back and a fireplace. Any of those work to cook on.

A lot of people buy little charcoal grills and bags of briquettes or camping stoves and lots of coleman gas.

I don't know wehre you live - it might be a good time to look for end-of-season sales for camping stuff or charcoal grills?

Originally Posted By: NYDebbie
I went ten days without setting foot in a grocery store. The only complaint was about the powdered milk and that was easily solved with chocolate syrup.

All the cooking skills I've learned and my bulk food stores are serving me very well indeed! The fresh baked bread and soups made everything easy.

I refill the fridge and replace what we ate from the larder tomorrow, and feel much better about things after this test.

I need more tests, for example, what if the power and gas are out - but that won't be for a couple weeks. I want it to be cold enough outside that I'm running the woodstove for heat.

That's a good idea Debbie! We might try it.

Good for you, Debbie! Excellent test!

Bought 50 more pounds of salt. Now cleaning up a bunch of 2liter juice bottles to fill with the salt. Then it can be stashed someplace out of the way.

Set 2 dozen duck eggs. Had 7 chicks hatch and removed all the infertile and dead eggs from the bator so had lots of room. Have quail hatching right now and need to process the extra males that are now big enough. I LOVE quail! Got to set more quail eggs too.

Quote:
I picked up a couple of cans of soup today.

cheer

Each step is a step forward, mi_familia...

Do you shop the sales for the best deals?

bighug

You might check with any local Asian grocery stores. We were able to buy a stand-alone propane burner, on a stainless rolling unit with a shelf underneath (and little holes on a small shelf behind the burner for soy sauce, etc)for right at 100 dollars. Bonus was that the connector for the propane tank would take the old top as well as the new one and we had a half full old tank. We have charred peppers on the back porch, and also canned several loads with the tank outside and the burner inside with the door partly shut (very small kitchen). 10,000 entrepreneurs in China can't be wrong LOL

Dora

Just ALWAYS remember... propane burners and charcoal must be OUTSIDE!

Ventilation is critical!!!

bighug

I bought a pack of thermal underwear for me and Dh. Got a couple sets for dd also. Mostly just cleaning out the storage room and doing inventory this week.

Ordered some electronic mice repellers today. The mothballs, traps and baits are not doing the job (I have 6 mothball packets, 10 traps and 8 baits set in the basement now - almost need a gas mask when going into the basement frown ) and I am getting concerned the mice will start after the stuff stored in the plastic containers/buckets (rice, etc).

I usually get 2 or 3 mice in the fall, but the mothballs, traps and bait USUALLY take care of them in about 2 weeks - not this year though eek

Started hunting and saving links to faves again. My computer died last week, so I'm starting from the ground up on faves. Now that we're int a routine again, and winter's coming (a Northern winter, which we're no accustomed to yet), it's time to revamp the car kits. Got my pantry going full steam ahead & we picked up a sam's club membership a few weeks ago. Brought my citrus trees in for the winter & have some herbs going indoors. Gotta clean out the coldframe & get some winterising stuff going.

I jarred up 7 jars of sauerkraut today. And I have 4 pie pumpkins in the oven cooking right now. Later I have 2 acorn squash and 1 spaghetti squash to put into the oven. All of the squash will go into the freezer. Yummy, or at least I hope.... LOL! First time freezing this type of stuff.

"Gleaned" a friends garden for the last before frost harvest. Going to make salsa to freeze once the tomatoes are ripened.

Harvested and dried chamomile and white clover for my remedy box.

Had the honey wagon visit. lol.

Picked a bunch of osage oranges to repel spiders.

Not much going on this week, actually.

Forgot, I added a few things to the kits- emergency blankets, sutures & hemos. I found a GREAT Army-Navy Surplus that I hit a couple times a month. Reasonably priced. Gotta be careful though as some of the stuff is really dated.

DH brought home a bunch of free apples from a job site. I've got some canning to do!

Moving my parents up here has turned into a comedy of errors, except no one is laughing. They were supposed to stay with us one or two nights. That's now looking like it's going to be three weeks. Ack! So I've still got a housefull of company between them and the family that is here to help, so I'm not really accomplishing much else right now besides keeping everyone fed and the clothes washed.

I've canned! Nothing like most of the folks here, but I'm just learning! Total cost...$21. Most of the food was given or gleaned. Jars were free of of Craig's List, as was all the canning equipment. I did have buy some of the lids, though.

2966116432_0eb33faa34.jpg

Still pretty new here and apparently cannnot organize a post worth a darn. But thought I would drop in a small suggestion. Whenever I go to a store at least one item comes home with me for storage, don't care if its only a spare toothbrush or a bootle of dollar shampoo, do it every time and it will add nicely to your storage. My small group have a good amount of stored items at present, but we strive to improve at every opportunity. Little day to day items would be greatly missed under the right conditions. At last inventory had over 1800 rolls of TP in 24 packs. Thank the powers that be for large basements. My brother recently came over and tossed me two old school containers of shaving cream, the kind you brush on, more I thought about it, pretty good idea, went out and brought double edge blades and a razor otherwise, for me, no electric no shave. Our main effort has been long term storage food, mainly off they shelf, MRES and mountain house dehydrated, Weapons, ammo and energy. We are at present trying to learn canning technology and think that it will be a huge boost to our capabilities. Anyhow back to the point I keep a dedicated storage tub just for the little odds and ends we use day by day and one or two items at a time has filled 4 medium size tubs in just the last couple months with toiletries and other sanitary and comfort items. Be dedicated and it will add up quickly. As always a pleasure visiting your site.

wave Hi ruger!

I was reading in another thread that you finally got your Berkey. I'm glad that worked out.

Your idea of one thing everytime is a great idea. I did that for a long time and really built up the types of things that you mentioned.

This first 6 months of this year I changed the rule a bit and every time I went in Walmart I had to buy one#10 can of something. The prices range from $3 to $8 and I built up our stash of those to an acceptable amount.

Recently, I upgraded again and told my kids (I have seven) that each time we go shopping (about once a week) they each had to choose one item for preps. That has been interesting.

It's been pretty cool to see what is important in their eyes. And also neat to see that they've been paying attention. It gave me a good teaching opportunity as well. We could discuss nutritional values, storage challenges, shelf life, etc.