MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE THIS WEEK TO PREPARE? PART 33

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: HannaLee
I've canned! Nothing like most of the folks here, but I'm just learning! Total cost...$21. Most of the food was given or gleaned. Jars were free of of Craig's List, as was all the canning equipment. I did have buy some of the lids, though.

2966116432_0eb33faa34.jpg

THAT LOOKS AWESOME!!!!

cheer

Hanna Lee.......WOW....that sure does look pretty. I love to set all mine out on the counter and just gaze at them for a while before putting them away. That represents a lot of work but....you got some real good deals if it cost very little money. cheer

I'm still attempting to empty the garden [which got down to 4 degrees last nite.... aauugh!] so I'm canning beet greens today...pickled beets tomorrow.....turnips greens (if not frozen) next....then turnips...then dig the last of the taters.......

runningtwisterfrozentwisterrunning

Aaaauughh!

MtRider [ stretcher ]

My son did the sweetest darn thing. . . sort of.

He found the four bungs that he lost fot the water barrels...then...

He filled the three 50 gallon water barrels. (washed, then filled). HOWEVER I was waiting until I could get three pallets so I could raise the barrels off the concrete. :-( Shoot.

So, I will need to empty them when I get the pallets, but my water barrels are full for now. Now I have to look up (again) how much bleach to put in each barrel.

Originally Posted By: Cat
Quote:
I picked up a couple of cans of soup today.

cheer

Each step is a step forward, mi_familia...

Do you shop the sales for the best deals?

bighug

I do! I'm a big coupon user, it is how we have always gotten by.

I added a container of salt, some more toothpaste, tuna packets, and granola bars, and I picked up a couple of wool blankets for cheap at Goodwill.

I picked up some "Go-Kits" today. They are a partial safety barrier between you and infectious diseases.

Each kit contains:

1 N95 mask

l pair of medical latex free gloves

1 personal use clinical thermometer

2 waterless antiseptic hand wash

2 Personal Anti-microbial wipes

The best part is they were only .44 cents each!!!!!!!

I have been watching them for a long time. They were over $4, on sale for $3.98. I asked for a better discount, but the store would only come down to $2.88. Too much says I!

So now this fantastic mark down. So glad I waited.

Made my day!

Stephanie, I strongly suggest impressing on your children NOT TO TALK OR SAY ANYTHING about your preps. You don't know who may be listening, or if they say anything to other children who they will mention it to.

If/when shtf happens, you do not need/want uninvited guests.

Hello all,

I was just reading about deodorant stones... anyone ever used it/heard of it? I have a medium sized-GROWING family, so a deodorant that lasts a year would save a LOT of space for something else!

Maranatha!

Monique

ncnewbie,

I've tried one once....they don't work.....AT ALL!

Wen't back out to buy regular deoderant (from the health food store of course)after a very, unpleasant two weeks.

NCnewb

Please save yourself the grief and embarrassment...just stock up on the deodorant(s) you use.

Those stones, IMHO, are only good for looking at, a paperweight, or for old ladies who don't stink.

They gave me a wicked rash and didn't even work on foot odor/ sweat.

And as a teacher, I beg you, for growing kids & teens, Puh-Leeese give them deo that works. smile Their friends, teachers, and other family will thank you. It will also make your world a better place. rofl

Umm yeah...preps. Right...that's what this thread is about.

My Sweetie finally finished the basement shelves. He wants to PAINT them...oy. I don't care what they LOOK like, just let me use the lovelies and get the canning OFF the dining room floor...out of the extra room...out of EVERYWHERE. BUT, white will reflect light, be neater, etc.etc.etc. So, moving into the shelves will be around Nov. 1.

This next week will see us also finally insulate the attic & do other chores before winter.

We also finally set aside enough for a Foodsaver. Thank the Lord we can get one that does a great job! I'm not looking forward to the expense, but am looking forward to sucking down (ahem) lots of stuff for BOBs and storage stuff.

Hey Michelle - I didn't add to my YARN stash this week(HONEST!) I actually finished a couple of odd projects. happy02whistling BUT I did round out my collection of knitting needles. knit There was a sale at a tiny yarn shop...OH MY what a sale...$1.50 a pair for the good quality vintage steel...and also for some sock/mitten sets. So...instead of having lunch with a friend, I bought needles. Now I *KNOW* I have all the needles I would EVER need for any project...all the way up to the honkin' huge big 'ol plastic 30's.

Ahhh. What a weight off my mind that is! Now I can sleep easy at night! roflroflrofl

Originally Posted By: lovinit
I picked up some "Go-Kits" today. They are a partial safety barrier between you and infectious diseases.

Each kit contains:
1 N95 mask
l pair of medical latex free gloves
1 personal use clinical thermometer
2 waterless antiseptic hand wash
2 Personal Anti-microbial wipes

The best part is they were only .44 cents each!!!!!!!
I have been watching them for a long time. They were over $4, on sale for $3.98. I asked for a better discount, but the store would only come down to $2.88. Too much says I!

So now this fantastic mark down. So glad I waited.
Made my day!

I see that you are in Canada. Would you mind sharing where you found these kits? TIA

In my shopping today I noticed store brand honey was 1.80 a pound. About a month ago, it was 2.20 a pound.

I'm wondering if honey is mostly harvested in the fall? I'm not sure, I just wanted to give folks a 'heads up' that there might be good prices for honey now.

Originally Posted By: Crazy4Canning
We also finally set aside enough for a Foodsaver. Thank the Lord we can get one that does a great job!

C4C - Do NOT get the newest Foodsaver model V3840 with the auto bag sensing and other gizmos. It is very finicky, uses excess bag material (they are not cheap) and the thing shuts itself off when you try to do too many too fast. I had one and after about two weeks I returned it for a full refund. The last straw was when I was trying to bag meal size portions of a bulk meat purchase, and the thing kept shutting off, and it was so finicky about how you feed the bag in that you had to do it real slow, that I ended up pulling out my ancient Foodsaver Vac 550 to get the job done quickly and efficiently.
Originally Posted By: NYDebbie
In my shopping today I noticed store brand honey was 1.80 a pound. About a month ago, it was 2.20 a pound.

I'm wondering if honey is mostly harvested in the fall? I'm not sure, I just wanted to give folks a 'heads up' that there might be good prices for honey now.

we harvest in the fall, but check the labels real good on store bought honey, if if comes from China, you wouldn't want it, they have no restrictions on pesticides or herbicides.
we get 8.a pound for local honey which i thought was high til I looked around, some are charging 12 per pound and getting it.
I see Sams club gets 8.95 for 5 pounds, the label says Virgina, I still don't know if it is bottled there or made there.

Good afternoon all,

I just got an email from a store that is advertising #10 cans sale. Wanted to see if they were REALLY a sale... PLease let me know if I should go ahead and order them.

Provident Instant Nonfat Dry Milk - 11.99

Peanut Butter powder - 12.99

Thanks so much!

Maranatha!

MOnique

P.S. I get SueBee Honey (12oz) for 1.00. I got about ten, was thinkling I should pick up more... isthis a good deal? They say it is harvested and packed in IOWA

Originally Posted By: Percysgirl
C4C- Foodsaver has a 25% off code right now.

ooh what's the code? And do you know how long it is good for?

I so want one! There was a Rival out of the package at Target, marked down to $25 (it was originally $50) but I noticed it was missing the hose & of course, none of the bags that come with the starter kit. I figure then I might as well try my luck for half that at Goodwill!
Originally Posted By: ncnewbie
Good afternoon all,

I just got an email from a store that is advertising #10 cans sale. Wanted to see if they were REALLY a sale... PLease let me know if I should go ahead and order them.

Provident Instant Nonfat Dry Milk - 11.99
Peanut Butter powder - 12.99

Thanks so much!

Maranatha!
MOnique

P.S. I get SueBee Honey (12oz) for 1.00. I got about ten, was thinkling I should pick up more... isthis a good deal? They say it is harvested and packed in IOWA

Would you mind sharing what store you got the email from? THNX! Not sure about the PB, but the milk id definitely a decent price!