MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Why Im keeping my mouth shut about my preps

I have a co-worker that loves to can. She also loves to tell everyone every detail about her life, which is a whole other matter. She brings in things she has canned and gives them out and tells everyone what she spent the weekend making. Just the other day she gave me a rundown off the things she had canned and what she had left to do.

I was in the breakroom with one of the guys and we were talking about the stock market. He made the comment that we were in scary times and I laughingly said I was going to buy a case of ramen noodles just in case. He laughed and said "Im going to [co-workers] house. You just know she has a basement full of food".

I never tell anyone what Im up to. You never know who is filing away what information in the back of their mind.

Originally Posted By: SugarDaisy

He laughed and said "Im going to [co-workers] house. You just know she has a basement full of food".

I never tell anyone what Im up to. You never know who is filing away what information in the back of their mind.

For the record:

I am 14 years old and have no preps whatsoever.

So there. rofl

Yessssssssssss! This is a very important thing to remember. Members report hearing that particular phrase all the time from everyone: friends, family (welcome or not welcome ones), coworkers, neighbors, and....nearly strangers. It seems to be the number one "Plan A" around. "We'll just go to their house."

Be VERY discreet. Your lives may depend on it. Use great wisdom when chosing who to discuss this prepping with. You might find a way to discreetly help others before and after it gets worse....but be careful.

laughkick "a case of Ramen"..... I love it!

MtRider sofa

You make an excellent point. I have been telling the girls NOT to tell poeple we have water in the house, but I cant tell you how many times I have blurted about a sale here, and the fact that I am gonna stock up. And we are here essentially alone. My nearest family is over 7 hours away.. sniff!

What would you suggest to those of us who have been a little too jubilant about the 5 empty icing buckets and 15 lbs of rice they got?

MOnique

Some of you know that we've only been prepping for about a year. Initially, we didn't tell anyone because I would be seen as being nuts. Then I started reading the various fourms. I took the advice of all you folks and kept it a secret about our prepping. Not even our parents know that we are stocking up and the kids are reminded all the time that it is not to be discussed outside the family.

Here is an article about a lady prepping and not telling.

Just in Case

http://standeyo.com/NEWS/08_USA/081013.just.in.case.html

'I'm not wacko. My father lived through the Depression and he always drilled it into my head: Never, never, never get caught unprepared.

AUBURN - The woman is not crazy. She will tell you that over and over as she describes the awesome array of survival items heaped high in her basement.

There are 700 packets of water meant to last for years. There is a pellet stove with a deep cycle charger and solar panels to re-energize on long stretches without power. There are four tons of pellets, enough for more than two winters.

There is a machine that seals and preserves food. There are nearly 200 batteries and two charging stations. There are 25 gallons of gasoline in a locked shed, a stockpile of medications for every ailment, vitamins with a five-year shelf life to stave off scurvy and related afflictions.

There is freeze dried food of all kinds. There are 16 oil lamps, 30 bottles of oil, 20 spare wicks. There are medical supplies, 100 bars of soap, 500 disposable razors.

There is a .357 and other firearms. There is plenty of ammunition.

"If I have to protect my house, I want to be able to do it," she said.

She is 41 and not paranoid, she insists. She is just prepared.

And cautious. She does not want her name used or her location revealed. For the purpose of this article, she refers to herself as Sarah.

"I'm not wacko," Sarah said. "My father lived through the Depression and he always drilled it into my head: never, never, never get caught unprepared."

It's the economy, of course, but more than that. For more than a year, she has been watching the struggling market, anticipating a day when it would go bad. For a year, she has been preparing for the worst.

"My fear is that a depression is coming, yes," Sarah said. "I think we'll survive that. I think we'll get through it because there is not a big shortage of things like there was in the 1930s. We'll survive the depression but as a nation, we'll be vulnerable. Terrorists could strike us while we're weak. That's what scares me."

She is not talking about the end of the world, not exactly. Her worst-case vision is of a society in ruins, with starvation and desperation, death and despair. She is not thinking of an apocalypse of biblical proportions.

"If it were the end of the world altogether, I'd be OK with that," Sarah said. "If I have to die, I could come to grips with it. I just don't want to suffer if I don't need to. I don't want to freeze to death in my own house. I don't want to scrounge for things like toilet paper."

And so, the preparation and stockpiling. In the spring, she began researching the shelf life of foods. She began picking up dehydrated foods a little bit at a time. She also bought basic items like shampoo and soap and toothpaste.

She kept on buying it until she had enough to last her years.

"Every single thing I bought, it's something I need anyway," Sarah said. "If things never go bad, I'll be happy. I'll have a big party and everyone will eat dehydrated food."

She exhibits pragmatism with only a hint of paranoia. Even the guns are there only as a precaution. She does not expect to ever need them.

Food and water and medicine is not the end of it. As she continues to educate herself, she learns other tricks.

"Everyone says to buy gold," Sarah said. "I can't afford to buy gold, I'm sorry. I'm picking up cigarettes and liquor instead. Those are the things that can be bartered."

Sarah has a husband and a full-time job. Her husband was skeptical of all this preparation at first, but he has been coming around. When Sarah began to stockpile, talk of an economic downturn was only a murmur, a far off rumor few paid attention to.

"I've been thinking about it a long time," she said. "I don't know where it comes from, exactly. Maybe it's just a survival instinct. I don't know."

These days, with the Wall Street bailout an instant failure and oil prices unpredictable at best, almost everybody acknowledges that things will get worse before they get better.

People like Glenn Beck don't help.

Sarah was watching the conservative host on CNN one recent night as he quizzed a pair of economists about the situation.

"Those guys were freaking out about it, saying how bad things are and how much worse they will get," she said. "You never hear that from those types. They usually give us some liberal spin and say everything will be fine."

So she went shopping some more the following day and added more items to the growing stacks in the basement. Places like BJ's Wholesale Club have been a friend to her. So has an affinity for a company called Mountain House, which specializes in foods for camping or emergency situations.

Sarah has bought plenty. She does not plan to use if for camping.

"Right now, I feel like I'm ready for just about anything," she said. "I have all of this stuff ready to go. If things get better and I don't need to go the grocery store for a month, six months or a year, that's great, too."

Few people know about her preparation. They don't know about the inventory lists kept on clipboards in her cellar or that she has blacked out the windows down there. Soon she will start to board up the windows altogether but she won't talk about it much.

It is for reasons of both safety and vanity.

"I started talking about this to everyone who would listen in April, then stopped talking in July and kept on stockpiling," she said. "I got the feeling people thought I was overreacting. I don't want people to think I'm nuts. I just want to protect myself."

If nothing else, if the economy recovers, there is no act of violence committed upon the country and nobody has to live out of things in their basement, Sarah will not consider it a waste of time. In recent weeks, she has been feeling at ease in spite of the never-ending clamor of grim reports on the television news.

She knows she is ready. The peace of mind is worth every penny spent and every minute of planning for the bleakest of possibilities.

"I don't feel anxious anymore," she said. "I feel like I've done all I can do and I have what I need to survive. And that alone helps me to sleep at night."

Originally Posted By: funkyducky
Originally Posted By: CrabGrassAcres
Start whining about how fast 15 pounds of rice disappears around your house.

Or complain about how it just isn't worth buying those big bags since they just get bugs in them before you can use them all up...
whistling

AMEN to that ... those darn bugs I tell you they are nasty. I felt all icky after cleaning out my 30 pounds that had bugs in it. And now we just found out that DS#1 wants to move back in after the first of the year (he's getting out of the army and wants to live at home and go to college) That will mean all three of them will be back under one roof

OMG I will need a cow a week to feed them DarleneSwoon and 50lbs of rice a week. When they are all home I have to cook 4 cups of rice per meal. Hummmm now where is that box with my big pots in it

Is there anyway you could tell the Canning Coworker loose lips sink ships? Coworker's enthusiasm is admirable but can you just imagine how many ppl are thinking "I'm going to her house?" eek

coworker needs to do some serious backpeddling damage control!

Originally Posted By: Suz
Is there anyway you could tell the Canning Coworker loose lips sink ships? Coworker's enthusiasm is admirable but can you just imagine how many ppl are thinking "I'm going to her house?" eek

coworker needs to do some serious backpeddling damage control!

I would but she is one of those people that just doesnt understand how to keep her mouth shut. She tells people everything. Im not saying anything because I guarantee that she would go around telling people that I told her not to say anything and that she doesnt understand why. And then people will wonder why I would say such a thing. Everyone thinks I couldnt care less about such matters, and thats the best way.

Rather than start a new thread, I am going to put this here. I just ordered a solar charger for our kids. Five children go through batteries like you wouldn't believe. Or maybe you would?

Anyway, the package arrived and one flap had been opened. You could tell that someone had nosed around. Everything was there, but someone was being snoopy. I don't thnk a solar battery charger will ring bells but it did concern me. I had considered getting a winter kit to go in my dh's vehicle as he travels a lot in winter, now I just don't know if I want to.

So it isn't just co-workers, friends, family & neighbors, it can be delivery people too.

Cheryl

Originally Posted By: funkyducky
Originally Posted By: preparing
Here is an article about a lady prepping and not telling.
Just in Case

I wonder what her screen name is here. grin

I was thinking the same thing. Did you go to the article? they have pictures! Her stash makes me green