MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

To can or vacuum seal dry beans for storage????

I have the opportunity to visit the nearest LDS cannery and purchase some food storage items. My dilemma is this: should I get the dry beans in #10 cans, or buy the bulk bag and vacuum-seal the beans at home and store that in my spare refrigerator or freezer?

Doing it myself will save a little money, thereby allowing me to purchase more, but I don't want it to go bad. I need your advice!

Thank you!

I would go with the cans. They can be boxed for storage, and critters can't get into them. When I put things in vac bags it is hard to get them flat for stacking even in a box. You could seal them and put them in a bucket but there is a lot of wasted space. I have some in gallon and 1/2 gallon jars, and some in mylar bags in buckets.

wormie

John

If I store them in the cans, and the cans are someplace that may have temps up to 80 degrees will the beans go rancid in the cans?

https://www.usaemergencysupply.com/informat...fe_of_foods.htm

As beans age they lose their oils, resist water absorbtion and won't swell. Worst case, they must be ground to be used. Storing beans in nitrogen helps prolong the loss of these oils as does cool temperatures. Hermetically sealed in the absence of oxygen, plan on a storage life of 8-10 years at a stable temperature of 70 degrees F. They should keep proportionately longer if stored at cooler temperatures.

Temperature has more to do with how long well dried foods store than anything else. The USDA states, "Each 5.6 C. (10.08F) drop in temperature doubles the storage life of the seeds." Obviously, there is a limit as to how far this statement can be taken. However I expect it basically holds true from room temperature down to freezing. No doubt, the inverse could also be considered true. "Each 5.6C. (10.08F) rise in temperature halves the storage life of seeds." This theory holds true for non-garden seeds as well.

wormie

John

I second Wormie's advice. Get the cans. Impervious to just about anything and fresh as a daisy when you open them.

I'm slightly confused. Are they regular beans in the #10 cans and 'dried' beans in the bags? If so I would go for the cans also. I get alot of dried beans which I turn around and 'can' for my stockpile, figuring I'm not going to have excess water to cook them in any emergency situation.

I'm sorry for the confusion, let me explain:

I have the opportunity to purchase either #10 cans of dry pinto, white, and black beans (uncooked) or buy a 25lb. bulk bag of these dry beans to take home and vacuum-seal them into bags with oxygen absorbers in them.

The bulk bag is significantly cheaper than the canned beans...to get an equal amount of the canned beans would cost me more than 3 times the cost of the bulk bag.

These are not cooked beans, they're dry beans. Hope this helps in understanding.

I would still go with the canned beans. Any bean that has been stored for a long time regardless in cans or vacumm sealed can take a very long time to cook. I am talking years, you can always soak them overnight with baking soda, rinse, add water again then cook as usual.

Originally Posted By: ncnewbie
Hi,
I would LOVE to get that many beans at once. What type of place are you going?

Monique

Yeah, me too. Our Sams club doesn't even carry big bags of beans. We get our beans a pound at a time from the grocery store. I initially vacuum sealed them in their store bags. I decided that wasn't the way to go since those bags get slimy after a while. So, I vacuum sealed them in sealer bags until I had enough to put in a bucket. Then poked a little hole in the bag, put them all in a big mylar bag and sealed them in with O2 absorbers.

For those asking where I'm getting them, go here:

http://www.providentliving.org/location/ma...026-1-4,00.html

and see if there's a "Home Storage Center" near you. Give them a call and ask if you can make an appointment to come and purchase some food storage items....let them know you are willing to volunteer for a spell, and they might let you come.

The first time I called, they told me they were not letting non-members in. So I found a coworker who was a member and got the info I needed from her to call back and ask again - this time I will be allowed in. I'll have to volunteer some time using their machinery to can some items for them, but I'll get such great prices I won't mind.

Good luck; hope there's one near you!