MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Hitting panic mode... "guests" when TSHTF

Originally Posted By: Cricket
I feel that as Christians we have an obligation to take care of our children, our parents (his and yours) and grandparents if we are lucky enough to still have them alive. In addition, any widows or orphans in the family. Beyond that you have no right to give away provisions that will take food out of your children's mouths.

I agree with this which is why I'm not worried about a lot of family. Yes my mom and two younger sibs would be here. The rest of the immediate family (sibs, parennts, grandparents) already has a backup plan other than us. They don't prep by any means but do have somewhere to go with minor basics. For the rest of them, not my problem. No way will I starve my children to take care of a bunch of idiot sheeple. Its just with the neighbors I feel they may could help. I just don't know how we would support that many people. I have dh thinking on this issue and I've been praying about it. I think I'm just going to lightly bring up the issue of worry and preparing and see how the topic hits them.
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If things are so bad that people are knocking on your door asking for food, it will not be safe to give it out from your home! You put your family in danger to do so. That is why you should give your gift through the church or food bank or other charity, not directly your hand to the hand of those who are asking.

Im my area we have “Love INC” which is an administrative Head-Quarters, to the “Net-Work” of churches/organizations/pantries/clothiers/shelter(s) , etc. that people can access if they have a need. I keep abreast of the resources offered, so I can better direct someone who comes to my door!

I have had to send my own family members there too. I know that I cant do it all, as no man could. It can be challenging sometimes, depending on a situation, to “be Christian” and charitable, and NOT get taken advantage of. We do need to exercise wisdom in these things. No two situation are identical.

When I was first diagnosed as having a “disability” and was quite ill, indeed, I went to churches more for fellowship & prayer, than anything else. Yet I was turned away. When I became homeless, unable to work, and when I was waiting on the approval for disability, again many churches told me I was on my own... I had not asked for a thing, other than prayer....

I can NOT be that uncaring, I asked the Lord to change my situation, and he heard my cry! Yes, I know that some people will return seeking “goods”. My response is “How can I help you to help yourself?, Can I arrange for you to get some Job-Training or an interview?”, and inevitably the lazy-seeker, will run off in a flash. L O L .

Where I can do nothing to change my family and their mental condition(s), I can redirect them, and have done so. I do what I can, and that which I know to do ( according to the bible), the rest I simply leave in Gods hands. I asked the Lord to supply me with the means to help others, and help me NOT to react the way ( the Few churches I did deal with, ) some had toward me. God kept his end of that bargain. I will keep my end!

Where some of us are mindful of our families needs, and that what we thoughtfully have laid up, and are protective of, I have no qualms with. I fully understand. The scriptures talk about us “nurturing “ the flesh. Proverbs 6, tells us of the “wise Ants” who store up for winter”. This too is BIBLE. !

I may be in another calling, being single, and given my background & disposition, than some others, Apostle Paul has said, “Do all teach? Do all prophecy? Do all ________ Do all this or that? We each have our calling, and opportunities to witness in the way God would have us do so. It seems to fall to me, to do certain things that few others will do. Some of the folks that come around, just need a meal, a listen a prompt and a prayer. Others need to hear the Gospel ( but I can only share if I feed them, so I do so at Mc Dolands, or a ride here or there) . Some folks have never been loved, and I need to show months & months of love before I can share. Having worked with people who are retarded, with the need to be EXTREMELY patient, repetitive and calm, gave me the background to deal with these ( long-term needy folks).

I do more 1 on 1 counseling, from the Bible, than I do of feeding. Most of the people i feed here, are already known to me. Otherwise I do send people to LOVE-INC. The Local churches have sent many of their “Harder Cases” to me. I know how to deal with a lot of these folks who have slipped threw the floors cracks, so to speak. But I think it sad that a trained theologian don’t know how, or wont!

I also deal with people who have AIDS, because I’m not afraid, and because , again the churches here simply will not deal with these folks. I say the Gospel is for ALL. I can NOT Judge who’s sick nor why. People who are MORE disabled that I am, probably could not hurt me, even if they tried.

I do deal with some of our communities, “homeless” people, but that is AWAY from my apartment, in the parks, by the lakes, the river, at the library, etc.. The habitual drinkers, and dopers, also are dealt with away from my home...... ( Wisdom prevails). I carry no cash or credit cards with me when I do these things.

Maybe I am not posting according to the vein of this thread, sorry If I have some how oversteped my bounds!

There is a story often told in Australia, of the great Depression. At that time there was a large number of people homeless, they carried their world on their shoulders - a rolled up 'swag' to sleep in and a few belongings. They walked the cattle routes. Often stopping at a homestead for a meal. It was customery to do a job before being fed, maybe hauling water, chopping wood, weeding a garden or something similar.

But there was a second side to this. The homeless had a code, stones left in certain patterns on the gatepost would tell a story, these people are kind, these people are mean, good food here, cook lousy here ... and so on.

Do not think that the person you gave a meal too will only tell his friends, he will tell the whole world.

Here in America, during the "Great Depression" the Hobos also had such a code..

One person who I am convinced came around Just to get what they could, in-part because they bothered my other neighbors in a similar way, looking for hand-outs, became greatly distressed, & DISCOURAGED when I offered to take a photo with my Polaroid camera. They have NOT been around here, nor even seen in town. I guess the “wanted Poster syndrome” took over. LOL

Originally Posted By: Kevin B 123

One person who I am convinced came around Just to get what they could, in-part because they bothered my other neighbors in a similar way, looking for hand-outs, became greatly distressed, & DISCOURAGED when I offered to take a photo with my Polaroid camera. They have NOT been around here, nor even seen in town. I guess the “wanted Poster syndrome” took over. LOL

the pre-1950 tramps,hobos, knights of the road or what ever you call them, had a way of marking begger friendly houses and other places that were not to be bothered.

reminds me of a story.
a tramp stopped at a place to bum a meal. the owner said sure you can eat soon as you saw that pile of wood.
the tramp said "you may have saw me see that wood, but you ain't going to see me saw that wood". good bye.
Originally Posted By: still survieving
Originally Posted By: Kevin B 123

the pre-1950 tramps,hobos, knights of the road or what ever you call them, had a way of marking begger friendly houses and other places that were not to be bothered.

reminds me of a story.
a tramp stopped at a place to bum a meal. the owner said sure you can eat soon as you saw that pile of wood.
the tramp said "you may have saw me see that wood, but you ain't going to see me saw that wood". good bye.

LOL, --- So funny, Thanks

My grandparents lived on a farm during the Great Depression. Hobos would come by and my Grandmother always fed them a meal. She never mentioned asking them to work, maybe they did, maybe not. However, on day, her old dog who stayed on the back porch most of the time, let out a soft growl as one man approached. DGM did not feed the man, and sent him on his way. Good dog.

IMHO, if(notice that it is a big if) you choose to share your preps, ask for something in return. For example, a small job around the outside of your home or something. Do not give it away. If people (sheeple) are given a hand out once they will expect the same the next time they come. And there will be a next time.

Humm, Maybe I'll get a vicious attack house cat, to watch over me. One that Not a soul would even think of messing with it’s meowing self......

Actually, I’d love to have a dog...... The complex want a 300 dollars deposit for pets, however!

Kevin get what is called a Bengal Cat, its actually part Bengal Tiger. I am serious. Someone I know well just got a little cub. Well its not very little.... you can see the stripes developing and the spots, the hair is more fur like. She is evidently allergic to that fur...

That can be an attack cat!

She does want a good home for it, but will have to find someone locally of course in this situation. He really bonded with her though, but he is only ten weeks....

So, yes, you can get an 'attack cat'.

They came out of the jungle.

Wild, huh? Look around on the internet, there may be a breeder in Wisconsin.

!Oh Arby, I believe i shall look into such!!! A bengal, their so beautifulllllll.

I need to look into their behavior patterns, and weather their “compatible” here:::: Strict rules ya know! Oooooo whooooooo thanks again !

I do so love cats!

kevin just establish yourself as the alpha and teach the rules and how to be with people that are ok with you. Someone comes in who isnt welcome, the bengal will probably immediately be on alert and may get the person into a corner at least...... It would be interesting to know the development and mannerisms of a bengal.

They do sound neat.

Donating extra to the church and directing them to go there is a good idea.

Our bug out location is in a reasonably secure rural area with one way in and plenty of opportunity to keep strangers from getting anywhere near our home. We share this area with like minded friends, so I don't envision a knock on the door.

Thanks for all the input. Some of it scares the you know what out of me so I will work on becoming more of a realist.

Hi Cricket,

Actually I am NOT newly married... I have been married to the same man, (the only man) for nearly two decades. Maybe I wasn't clear about my concern. I am not worried that he will literally throw me out.. but that he would trow out my caution by welcoming any and every family member he has in for shelter, food, water... and he has a BIG family! I want to help them, but there wont be enough for everyone. I know that. The most frustrating thing about all of this is that while he is not really convinced of the importance of prepping (I do it anyway when I have extra oney) he lets ALL of his family know what I bought recently, kinda in a joking manner. I can envision one family member inventorying based on phone calls! omg And she has a sense of entitlement that everyone abides by, (including said DH who does not prep mad) and will quickly use guilt to manipulate him. I have done the one thing that I could think of... pray about it. There is also a woman who goes to my church who has really NEEDY children.. who have big hungry children themselves. They have no idea what I am doing, but are only two houses away and I have helped with an extra sack of vegetables from the garned, a gallon of milk, etc. I wonder if I created a sense of entitlement that will try to be redeemed WHEN SHTF occurs.

I guess the Just truly will live by faith, hunh?

Marantha!

Monique

That is something to be concerned about. Well ncnewbie if you are really concerned this might be a problem getting through to your dh is the first step. Unless he understands the severity of what is happening it won't help. My dh doesn't "prep" either but he does know what I'm doing/why I'm doing it. I've made sure he knows that NO ONE is to know what we have. The only people who know about my preps are dh and my sis, both have been sworn to secrecy and neither knows the full extent of what we have. I'd be careful Monique and just pray about it. The answer will come to you.

The fewer people that know you have preps, the better off you will be.

The more people that "KNOW" you are a "wacko" that often greet people at the door/on the property with a loaded gun the better off you will be. (This part can be actual or just a "fabrication" you have managed to spread around)

Just my opinion.

Maybe I'll be okay then... the neighbor's son stopped by their house the other day to get something and he came here first to let me know he was there so I didn't shoot at him. Hmmm... I wonder why he'd think I would do that. I guess me pulling a gun on one of dh's friends last week wasn't so nice either... oh well he shouldn't have drove up in my driveway in a strange vehicle.

Originally Posted By: michelle
I guess me pulling a gun on one of dh's friends last week wasn't so nice either... oh well he shouldn't have drove up in my driveway in a strange vehicle.

Michelle, you're fantastic! That's the sort of spirit that'll keep your family safe.
Originally Posted By: Christy
Originally Posted By: michelle
I guess me pulling a gun on one of dh's friends last week wasn't so nice either... oh well he shouldn't have drove up in my driveway in a strange vehicle.

Michelle, you're fantastic! That's the sort of spirit that'll keep your family safe.

Michelle, I do so admire your spunk. LOL, I'll bet this DH's friend will call in advance of any future visits! ! !