MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Cake or Cookie Decorating!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For baby shower cakes

Smaller baby booties can be made with marshmallows. Place 2 marshmallows side by side. Cut a 3rd marshmallow in half, and place, cut side down in front of the 2 whole marshmallows. Decorate by using a small star tip and covering with drop stars. Finish off with a small writing tip to make bows at the top.

Another trick I like to do-

When I frost a cake, I like to let the icing air dry for a few minutes after I have it smoothed onto the cake. Then use a cheap paper towel with a design in the texture, lay it on the cake and gently press it in. Carefully pull the paper towel off, and you have a unique design on your frosting.

People will think you spent hours putting in the design rofl

what an interesting and unique pattern I bet the paper towel makes! bet I could do that with weaver's cloth.. make it look like a light weave of a basket or burlap!

I so want to do cookie cutter cookies.

It is the frosting I am stuck on... I need it to be flavorful but hard!

any recipes I need to look at?

I have a pirate in the family! he is 3! arrrrr arrrrrr arrrrrr gamma!

I remember seeing directions once for a treasure chest cake. They used posterboard to make a lid and had it propped on top of the cake. They put candy on top of the cake to look like jewels and those chocolate coins wrapped in gold foil.

Way cute ideas!!

A few years ago my DD decided she wanted to have a pirate birthday party. Hubby set the kids up with a treasure hunt in the park. I made a treasure chest out of a laundry soap box with a hinges lid. I modifies the top with posterboard and covered the whole thing with brown paper. It came out kind of cute, if I do say so (wish I had a picture to share). We filled it with the favors for the party.

we build my gs the poop deck to the pirate ship... it is 8' x 10' and 6' tall.

it has railing and I got him a ships wheel. the rest will be built our next visit! I have the fabric for the sail and am looking at the thing you put on the front. figurehead... but it can't be a nekkie girl! Neptune! I am also getting him port holes to look out when in the ships belly. I found an anchor that is flat to fit on a wall... so it got screwed to the side of the ship.

the ships bell... he loves to ring it!

What is so funny... the Army has had to move this thing! went from Texas to California to NY!

We told the kids to leave it in texas for their renters but they love it! it looks kind of cool and all the kids want to play on it. wait until it is done.

I want to send him pirate cookies and need a good frosting to put on the cookies.

Try www.cakecentral.com

We will do our best to help you with any questions, or find someone who can.

Westie, my son at age 28 still loves pirate stuff.

One day he hopes to get his doctorate in history and especially about Piracy..... and of course we have modern day pirates too, so another section to that history !

DS had a lego pirate ship, or he said it was pirates on it... lol.

I think Texas A&M has a program for such things in fact, because he had wanted to get it from there.

I always loved the old wooden ships too. I think its really neat that that pirate ship went with them to NY. That is so cool!

does this frosting get hard? these cookies have to travel from Los Angeles to as far North as you can get in New York!

sounds delicious! I could just eat it by the spoon!

http://www.bakingchristmascookies.com/bake/decorating.php

Frosting vs. Icing

There is a big difference between frosting and icing. Frosting is thick and holds shapes like rosettes and shells like those you see piped around the edges of a birthday cake. It remains soft to the touch and has a creamy texture, and most people think it tastes better because of the creamy buttery flavor. Icing, on the other hand, is a thinner, more liquid substance, and as it dries it thins out, becomes very smooth across the surface of your cookie, and hardens. This is the icing to use for the most beautiful, professional results.

Working with frosting

You can use frosting in two ways. One way is to simply use a knife or rubber spatula to spread the frosting across the whole surface of your cookie. The other way is to place the frosting in a pastry or decorating bag fitted with a small tip and piping out thin lines or rosettes of icing onto the cookie. Either way, once the frosting has been applied to the cookie you can then further embellish it by using colored sugars, non-pareils, or any of the decorating items mentioned in the Decorating Before Baking section above. We have a delicious recipe for Buttercream Frosting. See detailed instructions on piping frosting.

http://toomanyrecipes.blogspot.com/2007/12...okie-icing.html

THE BEST SUGAR COOKIE ICING (WFMW)

I have looked this recipe up twice in the last two days, so I thought I'd post it here for safekeeping. This is the best icing-- it dries hard and shiny, which is great for decorated cookies that you're transporting to Christmas parties. Enjoy!

SUGAR COOKIE ICING:

1 cup powdered sugar

2 tablespoons milk (keep adding spoonfuls until it's the right consistancy)

2 teaspoons light corn syrup

1/4 teaspoon almond extract *This is the key to this recipe!

Optional: food coloring

Beat together the powdered sugar and the milk until smooth. Beat in corn syrup and vanilla until icing is smooth and glossy. If icing is too thick to work with, add a touch more corn syrup. Add in food coloring if desired. Use icing to paint cookies, or, my favorite method-- dip the cookie tops into bowls of colored icing. Let dry at room temperature- when dry cookies may be stacked for storage.

I am not a cookie or cake, pie and etc eater. Not that I don't like them.. I do .. too much so I just don't eat them... which means I don't make them either.

The pampered princess once said she wanted a real birthday cake.. she got a cake decorating kit for her birthday! told her it wasn't offical till she baked her own cake!

never worried about getting one ordered again!]

now.. I want to learn to make awe some cookies for the grandkids.. to lleh with my figure!

thank you for posting the recipes Kevin... they will be used. I picked up black paste and liquid food coloring. I also got the neon!

I do have quite a collection of cookie cutters! now to use them.

Hey Westy, my DD read this post ans scolded me for not telling you about our "annual" cookie decorating party at Christmas. Duh...Dumb Momma. :S

We have a decorating party on the last day of school before Christmas break. I begin by baking cookies by the truckload in December. I glaze them with a basic sugar glaze (see Kevins recipe above) and let it dry REALLY well. The day of the cookie party, I set out clean soft bristle artist brushes and pallets with food coloring in them(you can use the gel type from a cake supply store, just mix in a little corn syrup and water to make it liquid). The kids come swarming in and grab a brush....and the fun begins!!!

Seriously, you can actually paint on the glazed cookies with the food coloring!! It's just like using watercolors. I do recommend that if you are going to have 2 colors side by side you let one dry before applying the other or they will bleed into each other.

what fun!!! I do like the water color look too!

I hand dye fabric so this is right up my alley

Leah posted that link... oy vey! I am still over there!!!

I have to reapply! argh.

these ladies and gentlemen do some amazing stuff! I am in awe.. just looking around and clicking on their links... WOWzers!

so much to learn..MMF, RBC, ABC, XYZ, NFSC, ???? huh? but.. I am learning. Come Christmas... decorated cookie cutter cookies are rolling out of my kitchen!

keep the tips, links and info coming! I want to make the most flavorful cookies with frosting that tastes as good as it looks!

oh and that I can send through the postal department and have the box come out unscathed.. and cookies in one piece.

Archived