MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Cake or Cookie Decorating!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

cookie bouquet

apparently these are becoming quite popular! make your cookies like normal... carefully put a cookie stick into the cookie like a lollipop! now how cool is that? you may want different lengths..

you can see some ideas here

stick placement

cookies on a stick decorating pt. 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZlrfELlepI&NR=1

(she goes on and on about her hand..but the little tips about cookies sticking was worth it.. then to the icing)

part 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Efmpm6WNazE&feature=related

woohoo.. smart and final!

sugar cookie dough

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5moVhLL0LA

click on her name in the box on the upper right.. see all of her tips tricks and techniques.

cherry juice in frosting? cool!!

great idea using squeeze bottle

great tip on how thin!

don't forget you can click on the persons name from:lesleylrt to see all of her videos.

how to use cookie cutters

I sure hope mine come off are easier then hers!

this video is too cute! he makes cutters and she bakes... hers come off the table much easier!

Oh man an entire thread on decorating cakes... my oh my. I have the wilton cake decorating kit but haven't made a cake in a long time. My mom and I made all my cousins wedding and baby shower cakes years ago. I'll have to get the icing recipe from her. Its a really good one... comes out like the real wedding cake icing. Yum Yum!

cutting out shapes - great tips on keeping chilled, using flour to keep from sticking....

no refrigerate cookies

recipe

Aunt Ester's Sugar Cookies

cream

2 eggs beaten

1 c sugar

1 c butter

1 tsp vanilla

mix in

2 1/2 c flour

1 tsp baking soda

2 tsp cream of tarter

1/2 tsp salt

mix

flour board and knead dough

flour board again and roll out

~1/4 inch thick

flour cutter, cut

tear away and transfer to backing sheet

bake @350 in preheated oven for 8-10 minutes.

decorate cookies

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZBXVveAEPE&feature=related

for those that have made it down this far...

wondering what the heck I am doing? I am learning a new skill.

I thought I would share my process with you.

I also went to the link leah posted early on and looked up sugar cookies. I copied and pasted 100 pages or more (actually I hate office 2007 and refuse to use it in my laptop so I email it to myself to get on my other computer). Those pages are recipes bot cookie doughs as I will make 3 or 4 of them, find the one I like then master it!

It also includes icing recipes and will do the same as above. I copied tips and tricks as you have also seen in the videos.. which I think helps.

so by Christmas.... I will have mastered this cookie technique and be mailing off cookies on a stick to my grandson!

cakes? first let me learn cookies.

I hope you all have enjoyed my journey.

whole wheat sugar cookies

Whole Wheat Sugar Cookies

MADE WITH WHOLE WHEAT FLOUR AND FLAVORED WITH CINNAMON AND ORANGE.

ingredients

2 cups whole wheat flour

1 teaspoon baking powder

½ teaspoon baking soda

½ teaspoon salt

½ teaspoon ground nutmeg

½ cup butter or margarine

1 cup granulated sugar

1 egg

1 tablespoon grated orange peel

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

2 tablespoons low-fat milk

topping

½ teaspoon ground cinnamon

2 tablespoons granulated sugar

1 In small bowl, stir together whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and nutmeg. Set aside.

2 In a large mixing bowl, beat butter or margarine with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 1 minute. Add the granulated sugar; beat mixture until combined. Stir in egg, orange peel and vanilla; beat mixture until well combined.

3 Stir in the flour mixture and milk just until combined.

4 Shape into 1-inch balls and place on ungreased cookie sheet 2 inches apart. Flatten slightly with bottom of a glass dipped in topping mixture.

5 Bake cookies in a preheated 375°F oven 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown. Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool.

nutrition information per serving (one cookie): 74 cal,

3 g fat, 13 mg chol, 59 mg sodium, 12 g carbo, 1 g fiber,

1 g pro, 1 mcg folate.

Whole Wheat Sugar Cookies

12 cookies (change servings and units)

Change to: cookies US Metric Close

Ingredients

* 1 cup sugar

* 1/2 cup butter, softened

* 2 tablespoons milk

* 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest

* 1 teaspoon vanilla

* 1 large egg

* 1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour

* 1 teaspoon baking powder

* 1/2 teaspoon baking soda

* 1/2 teaspoon salt

* 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg

* 2 tablespoons sugar

* 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Directions

1.Mix sugar and butter in large bowl until fluffy.

2.Add milk, lemon rind, vanilla and egg; mix well.

3.Add flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and nutmeg; mix well.

4.Cover and chill for 30 minutes.

5.Heat oven to 375°.

6.Mix the 2 Tbsp sugar with the cinnamon.

7.Shape dough into 1-inch balls.

8.Roll in the cinnamon mixture.

9.Place 2-inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet.

10.Bake for 7-10 minutes, or until light brown.

11.Cool for 1 minute before removing from pan.

Whole Wheat Cut Out Cookies

INGREDIENTS (Nutrition)

* 4 cups whole wheat flour

* 2 teaspoons baking powder

* 1 cup butter

* 1 cup honey

* 1 egg, beaten

* 1/3 cup hot water

* add to recipe box Add to Recipe Box

My folders:

* add to shopping list Add to Shopping List

* add a personal note Add a Personal Note

DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

2. In a large bowl, stir together whole wheat flour and baking powder. Cut in butter with a pastry tool or pinch in by hand until butter lumps are no larger than peas. Add honey, egg, and water, mix until the dough comes together into a ball.

3. Roll out dough to 1/4 to 1/8 inch thickness. Cut into squares or with a cookie cutter. Place 1 inch apart on cookie sheet and bake 10 to 15 minutes or until edges are light brown.

cracker like cookie

now I need graham flour? oy vey!

Cookie Cutter Treats

2 1/2 c HODGSON MILL WHOLE WHEAT GRAHAM FLOUR

1/2 c nonfat dry milk

1 Tbsp. sugar

1 Tbsp. salt (optional)

6 Tbsp. butter

1 egg

1/2 c cold water

Mix all ingredients. Knead three minutes or until dough forms into a ball. Roll 1/2 inch thick. Cut with cookie cutters. Bake at 350 degrees F on lightly greased cookie sheet for 30 minutes.

Makes 1 batch. Each batch: 1667 calories; 30 g dietary fiber; 251 g carbohydrates; 48 g protein; 57 g fat (8 g saturated fat); 219 mg cholesterol; 7650 mg sodium.

I am now looking for whole wheat recipes for cookie cutters...

thinking I will run out and buy the autumn leaf cutters!!! they are small, bite size cookies..

GERMAN BUTTER CHRISTMAS COOKIES

This recipe was brought to this country by my Grandparents from Germany and has been in my family for hundreds of years. I have many fond memories of baking these cookies with my Grandmother as a child, and I continue to bake them for Christmas every year. It is truly a labor of love.

1 lb. butter

1 1/2 c. sugar

6 c. flour

4 eggs

1 lemon rind, grated

Cookie cutters

Combine lemon rind with one egg. Cream butter and sugar. Add lemon and egg mixture to butter and sugar. Add remaining eggs one at a time. Add flour, mixing together with hands until flour doesn't show. Dough must be refrigerated overnight.

Flour the dough, rolling pin, rolling surface and cookie cutters. Roll dough thin and use cookie cutters to form cookies. Refrigerate dough when not in use. Bake cookies at 400 degrees for approximately 8 minutes - until lightly browned at the edges. Cool cookie sheets between uses. Makes over 100 cookies.

PEANUT BUTTER AND JELLY HEART COOKIES

1/2 c. butter

1/4 c. shortening

3/4 c. peanut butter

1 c. sugar

2 eggs

1 sm. jar raspberry jam

3 c. flour

1 tsp. vanilla

2 tbsp. milk

Heart shape cookie cutters

Rolling pin

Cookie sheet

Cooling rack

Beat butter, shortening and peanut butter together well. Add egg and beat well. Add sugar, vanilla and flour with milk. Chill 2 hours or more.

Roll dough out on lightly floured board 1/4 inch thick. Cut out heart shapes with cookie cutters. Place on lightly greased cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes. Remove to cooling rack. Spread 1 teaspoon of jam on cookie and cover with another cookie.

and for Doggy!!! ROFL!!

Dog Cookie Biscuit Recipes

Oatmeal dog biscuits

3 1/2 cup whole wheat flour

2 cup Quaker oats

1 cup milk

1/2 cup hot water

2 beef or chicken bouillon cubes

1/2 cup meat drippings

Dissolve bouillon cubes in hot water. Add milk and drippings and beat.

In a separate bowl, mix flour and oatmeal. Pour liquid ingredients into dry ingredients and mix well. Press onto an ungreased cookie sheet and cut into shapes desired. Bake at 300 degrees for 1 hour. Turn off heat and leave in the oven to harden. Refrigerate after baking.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mixed veggies cookies

1/2 cup grated cheese -- room temp.

3 tablespoons vegetable oil

3 teaspoons applesauce

1/2 cup vegetables -- what ever you like

1 clove garlic -- crushed

1 cup whole wheat flour

nonfat milk

Mix cheese, oil and applesauce together. Add veggies, garlic, and flour. Combine thoroughly. Add just enough milk to help form a ball. Cover and chill for one hour. Roll onto a floured surface and cut into shapes. Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Liver Treats

1 pound beef liver

2 garlic cloves

1 Box corn muffin mix

Preheat oven to temperature in corn muffin directions.

Mix liver and garlic in a blender or food processor, then process till liquid. Stir in muffin mix, then scrape onto a baking sheet and pat to app. 1/2-1" thickness. Bake till very firm, but not burned.

Cut into squares, then store in refrigerator or freezer.

Crunchy Dog Biscuits

3 1/2 c Flour

2 c Whole wheat flour

1 c Rye flour

1 c Cornmeal

2 c Cracked wheat

4 ts Salt

1/2 c Dry milk

1 Egg

1 pk Dry yeast (1 T)

1 pt Chicken stock

Ingredients not generally available may be found at health food stores.

Dissolve yeast in 1/4 c warm water. Add chicken stock and pour into dry ingredients. Knead for 3 minutes, working into a stiff dough. Roll dough into a 1/4 in. thick sheet and cut with cookie cutters Bake in 300 degree oven for 45 minutes, then turn oven off and leave biscuits in oven overnight. In the morning the biscuits will be bone hard.Note: This dough is extremely stiff to work with, but the end product is excellent.

Cheesy Treats

1 c Uncooked Oatmeal

1 1/2 c Hot Water or Meat Juices

4 oz (1 cup) Grated Cheese

1 Egg, Beaten

1 c Wheat Germ

1/4 c Margerine

1/2 c Powdered Milk

1/4 tb Salt

1 c Cornmeal

3 c Whole Wheat Flour

Servings: 10

In large bowl pour hot water over oatmeal and margarine: let stand for 5 minutes. Stir in powdered milk, grated cheese, salt and egg. Add cornmeal and wheat germ. Mix well. Add flour, 1/3 cup at a time, mixing well after each addition. Knead 3 or 4 minutes, adding more flour if necessary to make a very stiff dough. Pat or roll dough to 1/2 inch thikness. Cut into doggie

shaped biscuits and place on a greased baking sheet. Bake for 1 hour at 300 degrees. Turn off heat and leave in oven for 1 1/2 hours or longer. Makes approximately 2 1/4 pounds.

humm...

two pretty little flowers ... cream filling... smash together... and sandwich cookies! I was thinking I could color the cookie dough and make white fillings or color fillings or.. both!

http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/cat/2215/

have to take time to research this link!

oh my!

Fudgy German Chocolate Sandwich Cookies

Ingredients:

* 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour

* 1-1/2 cups sugar

* 3/4 cup (1-1/2 sticks) butter or margarine, softened

* 2/3 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa or HERSHEY'S SPECIAL DARK Cocoa

* 3/4 teaspoon baking soda

* 1/4 teaspoon salt

* 2 eggs

* 2 tablespoons milk

* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

* 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans

* COCONUT AND PECAN FILLING(recipe follows)

Directions:

1. Heat oven to 350°F. Combine flour, sugar, butter, cocoa, baking soda, salt, eggs, milk and vanilla in large bowl. Beat at medium speed of mixer until blended (batter will be stiff). Stir in pecans.

2. Shape batter into 1-1/4 inch balls. Place on ungreased cookie sheet; flatten slightly.

3. Bake 9 to 11 minutes or until almost set. Cool slightly; remove from cookie sheet to wire rack. Cool completely. Spread about 1 heaping tablespoon COCONUT AND PECAN FILLING onto bottom of one cookie. Top with second cookie to make sandwich. Serve warm or at room temperature. About 17 sandwich cookies.

Note: Cookies can be reheated in microwave. Microwave at HIGH (100%) 10 seconds or until filling is warm.

COCONUT AND PECAN FILLING

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine

1/2 cup packed light brown sugar

1/4 cup light corn syrup

1 cup MOUNDS Sweetened Coconut Flakes, toasted

1 cup finely chopped pecans

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Melt butter in medium saucepan over medium heat; add brown sugar and corn syrup. Stir constantly, until thick and bubbly. Remove from heat; stir in coconut, pecans and vanilla. Use warm. About 2 cups filling.

* To toast coconut: Heat oven to 350°F. Spread coconut in even layer on baking sheet. Bake 6 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until golden.

Chocolate Sandwich Cookies with Vanilla-Cream Filling

Ingredients

* 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour

* 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa (recommended: Dutch-processed)

* 1 teaspoon baking soda

* 1/4 teaspoon baking powder

* 1/4 teaspoon salt

* 1 1/2 cups sugar

* 10 tablespoons (1 1/4 sticks) unsalted butter at room temperature

* 1 large egg

* Vanilla-cream filling, recipe follows

Vanilla-Cream Filling:

* 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter at room temperature

* 1/4 cup vegetable shortening

* 2 cups confectioners' sugar

* 2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Directions

Set 2 racks in the middle and upper third of the oven and preheat to 375 degrees. In a food processor or the bowl of an electric mixer, thoroughly mix together the flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, salt and sugar. While pulsing or on low speed, add the butter, then the egg. Process or beat until the dough is thoroughly blended and massed together. Drop rounded teaspoons of batter onto nonstick or parchment-lined cookie sheets at 2-inch intervals. With moistened fingers, round out the cookies and flatten them a little. Bake for 9 minutes, turning the pans once for even baking, until the cookies are set. Set the cookie sheets on a rack to cool.

Vanilla-Cream Filling: Put the butter and shortening in a mixing bowl and, at low speed, gradually beat in the confectioners' sugar and vanilla, until blended. Turn the mixer up to high and beat for 2 or 3 minutes more, until fluffy.

With a pastry bag fitted with a 1/2-inch tip, pipe teaspoon size blobs of filling onto the tops of half the cookies. Keeping the smooth bottoms of the cookies facing up, flip the remaining cookies on top of the filling and lightly press to form sandwiches.

Archived