MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Rezgirl

What are your favorite books from childhood?

Oh I forgot about the Saggy Baggy Elephant! I loved that as a kid!

What about a Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle?

Also, the Diary of Anne Frank. It shook my little fourth grade world. It was the first book I ever read that didn't have a happy ending.

My kids are enjoying the Boxcar Children books right now.

*giggle* My mom HATED the Scholastic book catalogue that they would send home from school every couple of weeks... by the time I got home, MOST of the books were circled, even though I rarely got to actually order from it.

My favorite books as a child? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Let's just call it "Nearly every book in the children and youth sections in the Salem Public Library".

There are some that I *still* come back to and read, even as an adult. The Little House books, the Five Little Peppers books, any book by Francis Hodgson Burnett or LM Montgomery or Louisa May Alcott, the Pollyanna series, the Heidi series, the Doctor Dolittle series, the Narnia series. There are literally thousands more, but these I still have on MY shelves. Some of them I'm on my second or third copy... because I read them till they literally fell apart. Tho' I'm a little easier on books nowadays... smile

Those are the children's books that I still read. Shall I start in on the grown-up books that I read? It might crash the server again... rofl

Oh Babysteps, my soul-sister! I did the same thing! I would even leave my 'top 3' picks and pray somehow there was money. Our neighborhood librarian knew me by name. I was a frequent visitor at least twice a week.

Re-reading books is like a long visit with a good friend. So familar, comforting and yet I always see something in a new way.

My husband says that I am still too hard on books, hence I am one of those people who adore hard-backs. smile

I think the mere thought of listing ALL our books was what sent the server into shock. laugh

Oh Babysteps, my soul-sister! I did the same thing! I would even leave my 'top 3' picks and pray somehow there was money. Our neighborhood librarian knew me by name. I was a frequent visitor at least twice a week.

Re-reading books is like a long visit with a good friend. So familar, comforting and yet I always see something in a new way.

My husband says that I am still too hard on books, hence I am one of those people who adore hard-backs. smile

I think the mere thought of listing ALL our books was what sent the server into shock. laugh

I read so many of those scholastic book club picks. Any books on explorers as I got a bit more sophisticated, Nancy Drew , what I could find, and many of the Hardy Boys books, lol... they were all good books. There were so many good books. I was delving into Louis L'Amour pretty early and Zane Grey ( he was a good story teller). Mark Twain. The book Johnny Tremain... I recently found an old copy and its on my book shelf now. My Side of the Mountain... The Time Life collection on Westward Expansion and gunslingers and such things, anyone remember those? They were bound in nice leather. Rather showy books if you ever saw them?

I read many books on the California Gold Rush and continued doing that as I got older.

Before I moved to NY state, shortly before I did ,

I queried the librarian in town and got a whole stack of original journals and explorations of the Oregon and California trails ( book was written in the 1930's or so) , journals by traveller's of the Trails, all ages and both genders, all education levels. It was intriguing. First hand experience , those journals that had been printed up afterward.

World Book Encyclopedia for reference use. Much better than Wiki... lol.

But I was starting to read large books too, Centennial by James Michener by the time I was 14. Maybe when I was 12, that one.... not sure now, over 40 years later.

I do get some of the youth books on kindle these days, there are some good ones and some I am not sure I would want a child to get fascinated with.

Little Women
The Five Little Peppers and sequels
Black Beauty

Beautiful Joe

Diary of Anne Frank

Carry On Mr. Bowditch (read to kids and loved it myself)

The Bronze Bow (read to kids and loved it myself)

Girl of the Limberlost and another one by that author, can't remember the name. The hero saw his future wife in a dream.

Grace Livingston Hill books as a teenager

Emilie Loring books as a teenager

Heidi & sequels

Tom Sawyer, Huckleberry Finn

The Bobbsey Twins

Trixi Belden series

Donna Parker series

Nancy Drew series

Anne of Green Gables & sequels

Rebecca of Sunnybrooke Farm

The Swiss Family Robinson

Zane Grey books

Alice in Wonderland

Thornton Burgess books about birds and animals. There was Blacky the Crow, Johnny Chuck, and many, many more.

to mention a few. There was a book of dog stories by someone, maybe his last name was Terhune or something like that. I liked that book a lot. I liked Call of the Wild and White Fang too. There was a really old book that my grandmother had called Dandelion Cottage that I loved. I don't know what happened to it. She had one called The Little House on Wheels that I actually found at her house a few years ago. The house is falling down. I'm sure I've left out some favorites. I read 1000's of books when I was growing up. Every birthday and Christmas, my mom's parents would get me 4 or 5 books. My friend and I kept a list of books we read in a year and we each read over 1000 books that year. I still read dozens and dozens a year.

Edited by Daylily

:bump1:      There's such good buried info here at MrsS.   I didn't realize that I've been here over 10 years and there's alot of names in old threads I recognize.

• Like 1

I loved all of the "Black Stallion" series by Walter Farley and definitely Beautiful Joe.  Books made such a big impression on me growing up!

• Like 2

The Little House series.   I started reading them in 3rd grade and was THRILLED to read about a family that did some of the same things mine did--had a big garden, preserved food, got ready for winter,  split wood.  :)   No one else I knew did that!  

• Like 1

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.