MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Can this recipe be canned?

I'd like to make a homemade pizza sauce to can. This is the one I make to use right away. Can I just multiply it and can it?

Homemade Pizza Sauce

3 cloves garlic, minced

3 Tbsp olive oil

1 (29 oz) can tomato puree

1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes

2 Tbsp brown sugar

1 Tbsp Italian seasoning

1 tsp basil

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp red pepper flakes

Saute garlic in saucepan in the olive oil. Stir in remaining ingredients. bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer. Simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes. store in fridge for up to a week. Makes about 5 1/2 cups sauce.

Originally Posted By: Darlene
I'd cut the olive oil by 2/3 and can it.

Same thing I do too and I can lots of pizza sauce. feedme Looks about like the same recipe too but I double it up.

Q

Question....

I found Crushed tomatoes at a really good deal at Sam's

Could I use those instead of the puree?

And what you're saying is just to do one T of Olive Oil? Then, what, do you add the other oil when you open the jar? or does it need it?

Stephanie, you can use the crushed tomatoes if you like with no problem. And yes, cut it down to 1T...I really don't think you'd need to add anymore.

Good question...because I wanted to ask something similar.

I hate making tomato sauce, so I'm thinking of getting a number of #10 cans of tomato sauce and making up some spagetti sauce with

Store canned tomato sauce

Store canned tomato paste

Home canned stewed tomatoes (has onions and green peppers)

My normal spices and herbs

Minced garlic

A bit more onion

What are the things I would need to watch out for when making my own canning recipe?

I've tried other spaghetti sauce recipes from Blue Ball and Stocking Up, and I don't like them nearly as much as I like my own.

The Ball Blue Book and other published recipes are tested by food scientists in a laboratory with sophisticated equipment to make sure a recipe is chemically stable for room temperature storage, along with the ability to kill necessary bacteria and other spores that would cause spoilage or worse.

Your recipe would not have those questions answered and you would be guessing that it will be safe. Many tomato recipes need the addition of bottled lemon juice for acidity and safety.

Using already cooked and canned ingredients will duplicate the process and remove even more nutrients from the food.

Ok, actually Elizabeth Andress at NCFHFP tells us not to use already canned store tomatoes or other foods in canning.

Part of the problem is the density in canning them this way. A canning recipe is designed with both the density and ph levels factored in. If you change the ingredients, you change the density. The processing time may not be long enough to ensure it is safely canned. I know she gave this advice to one of my fellow Food Safety advisors when she recently emailed her about doing this same thing with spaghetti sauce.

So, the number one rule of home canning is "Never Can Your Own Recipes".

I know there are some recipes using store bought ingredients that are safety tested by Ball. I am not 100 percent sure without looking, but maybe also Small Batch Preserving by Ellie Topp. They would also be safe to use.

So, please, follow one of them, and not your own recipes. There are cooking recipes and there are canning recipes. The two are not the same. If you do this, do so knowing there are risks involved. Those recipes should be frozen instead.

*sigh*

Gotcha.

I had a feeling that would be the case. Until this year, I would never have thought of trying. But Annie's Salsa turned out so wonderfully, I thought perhaps...maybe...

OK. Thanks for the info.

Originally Posted By: Violet
There are cooking recipes and there are canning recipes. The two are not the same.

Well that's something I have not read on any other site!!

Is there any guidelines for all the internet recipes out there? I have yet to find a copy of the Ball book. I do have a Better Homes and Gardens cookbook (early '90's edition) that has canning recipes.

The Ball Blue Book of Preserving can be ordered from the Ball Canning website (http://www.freshpreserving.com for $5 + s/h if you can't find it locally. In Canada there is a similar reference I believe is called Bernadine or something.

You can also get direct online information from the National Center for Home Food Preservation (http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/index.html. Even though it is for the USA, everyone can benefit from the information.

HannaLee,

You will find there are many, many recipes in both books and online that are not safety tested. Well meaning folks post them, but they have no training in food preservation safety.

Stick with USDA tested recipes and also books that use USDA tested guidelines, like the Ball Blue Book.

It is sad, but true, many canning books are not tested for safety and can potentially put you and your family at risk for food borne illness. (The most serious, of course, is botulism.)

I suggest the NCFHFP, which is the Univ. of Georgia. Elizabeth Andress, who wrote the USDA guidelines works there. (She is a great lady, BTW. Very down to earth, yet so intelligent in the field of food safety/preservation.)

This is the site, same one Canned Nerd posted above :

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/index.html

They even have a free online course ! I would highly recommend it.

Well, at the risk of causing a comotion, I disagree about not canning homemade recipes. I know that I'm pretty strict on home canning practices, but in all honesty I pressure can many of my own recipes, while following the guidelines of starch/thickener issues and some foods that are obviously not condusive for home canning due to density issues and instability of consistant product, i.e. pumpkin butter, dairy products, etc.

I use commercially canned tomatoes in things like my marinara, just as I have my own home canned tomatoes in the same product...etc etc etc.

Home canning this way requires experience, knowledge and wisdom, but in all honesty, I disagree with some of the counsel contained herein.

Darlene,

I understand, just telling what I am taught on canning your own recipes. This is what we tell folks when they call the extension office and the reasons behind it. This way we insure they are 100 percent safe.

We can have different opinions. Each one of us has to decide what we want to do in our own kitchens. This is good, though, I think, for folks to see both sides. Then, they can decide for themselves what they want to do.

Kewl...it's ok to agree to disagree.

You and I are on the same side regarding safety but right here we have different stances, and that's ok too.

((((violet))))

Darlene or Violet, can either of you talk a little bit about the guidelines of starch/thickener issues

and

give an example list of 10-15 food items that are obviously not condusive for home canning due to density issues and instability of consistant product, i.e. pumpkin butter, dairy products, just to give a general idea of what you are talking about here.