MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

SPAM makes a comeback

SANDWICH SPREAD

Put SPAM thru a food chopper, also boiled eggs, onion, pickles.

Add salt & pepper and Mayo/Miracle Whip. Makes a really good sandwich spread.

STIR FRY

I've made stir fry using SPAM plus the usual vegetables...good!

TOP RAMEN

If you are lucky to have a little SPAM left over, dice it small. Saute it with chopped onion and frozen mixed vegetables in margarine til nearly done. Add necessary water and a package of TOP RAMEN noodles. When noodles are done drizzle in an egg that you have whipped up with a fork. It takes only 30 or seconds for the egg to get done. This is enough for two people and you get protein, vegetables and carbs all in one bowl.

MACARONI AND CHEESE

Saute diced SPAM and chopped onion in margarine. Prepare box of macaroni and cheese. Combine. Add a drained can of English peas

and shredded cheese.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: Kevin B 123
I found Spam, on sale, at 2.75 a can. I did not think that much of a bargain. Correct me if I am wrong....

my wife had gone shopping in the nearest city from us with friends and when i read about the spam i gave her a call and told her to grab some, she got 9 cans for 2.49 a can, the same as it cost in our little grocery store in the village.

When my husband and I were first married and almost always broke we ate Spam several times a week. I use to slice and fry it and then melt cheese on it. feedme Also, I would slice it and drizzle honey or pancake syrup over it and place a slice of pinapple on top and bake it! yumyum We haven't had it in a long time but there are several cans in my food pantry.

Originally Posted By: TractorDiva

Now for those chicken feet...they make a phenomenal chicken stock. Easy, rich, luxurious mouth feel. And in our world, when we process our our meat birds we use everything except the feathers and the beak (which are put through my compost pile)...

Ya'll know I am from the heart of Dixie and I have seen people eat some off the wall things...moutain oysters, pig brains pickled pig feet, pickled eggs. So I thought I was had seen everything until December 1997. We were living in New Orleans then and my boss lady was from mainland China. For my birthday she too me to this authenic Chinese restraunt. The people that owned it were good friends of hers. There I was introduced to Dim Sum which loosely transalated is Chinese for a little bit of everything. Well to make a long story short this sweet shy southern girl was introduced to a dish called Phoenix Talons.

No I could not bring myself to eat them but my bosslady loved them. She would pop them in her mouth then take the chop sticks and pull the bones out of her mouth. She could do the same thing which shrimp. She would put tail and all in her mouth then pull the tail out with her chop sticks.... DarleneSwoon

She assured me they were delicious. i just took her word on it.

sick

Sorry girls. I just can't go there.

Check out Fritz Monroe's Ezekial Stew recipe in the kitchen thread. It is absolutely delicious and much less expensive. And the ingredients are staple storage foods for most of us. (I added extra cumin and a few splashes of tobasco. Yummmm.)

sick

Originally Posted By: Darlene

Spam “seems to do well when hard times hit,” said Dan Bartel, business agent for the union local. “We’ll probably see Spam lines instead of soup lines.”

Even as consumers are cutting back on all sorts of goods, Spam is among a select group of thrifty grocery items that are selling steadily.

Pancake mixes and instant potatoes are booming. So are vitamins, fruit and vegetable preservatives and beer, according to data from October compiled by Information Resources, a market research firm.

“We’ve seen a double-digit increase in the sale of rice and beans,” said Teena Massingill, spokeswoman for the Safeway grocery chain, in an e-mail message. “They’re real belly fillers.”

Kraft Foods said recently that some of its value-oriented products like macaroni and cheese, Jell-O and Kool-Aid were experiencing robust growth. And sales are still growing, if not booming, for Velveeta, a Kraft product that bears the same passing resemblance to cheese as Spam bears to ham.

Deos this resemble any one elses shopping list? blush

The only thing I'm not stocking up on is Velveeta and beer and I'll be checking out the shelf life on Velveeta after reading this! rofl

Kevin, it didn't seem like a very good deal to me either, especially with the size of our family.

Treet is much less expensive. I guess because it isn't as well known. I found some for .99 a can, so I brought a can home and fried it up. It was just fine. A tad different from Spam, so it took a couple cans before we forgot Spam and switched to Treet.

I agree that SPAM is too expensive. We also buy the Armour Treet brand. Only have it once in awhile sauteed in butter and brown sugar and served with homemade mac n cheese. yumsters (prolly not very healthy, though) busted

Originally Posted By: mi_familia
Most of my Velveetas (it's a staple here lol) usually seem to be dated about 6 months after we get them. Course, they probably do last a lot longer but I don't know if they'd last that long to find out here!

Thank you!

I've never needed velveeta because I'm in dairy country and can usually buy couple pound blocks of store brand cheese for decent prices.

The price has been rising with grain prices though, so I've cut back. Economical cheese that keeps for 6 months is very interesting!

Ingredients: MILK, WATER, MILKFAT, WHEY, WHEY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, SODIUM PHOSPHATE, MILK PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, ALGINATE, SODIUM CITRATE, APOCAROTENAL (COLOR), ANNATTO (COLOR), ENZYMES, CHEESE CULTURE.

That isn't so terrible, especially for kids. Its also soy free, something that makes me very happy with my soy allergy. It is 80 calories an ounce, my NY cheddar is 110 calories per ounce.

Not bad. Thanks again, MrsS!