MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

40% of grocery meats tested have superbug C.Diff

Momo

Yikes. As a writer about contamination control in the food industry, I've done my share of stories of foodborne pathogens. But this one is scary, really scary.

The best advice is to make sure you cook all meats thoroughly--and in the face of this new scare, you should take extra precautions with how you handle the raw meat and how you clean up afterward.

This website of the FDA will keep you up to date on contamination in foods--and has addvice on safe food handling: http://www.fightbac.org/

They say: Clean: Wash Hands and Surfaces Often Print

Bacteria can be spread throughout the kitchen and get onto hands, cutting boards, utensils, counter tops and food. To Fight BAC!® always:

* Wash your hands with warm water and soap for at least 20 seconds before and after handling food and after using the bathroom, changing diapers and handling pets.

* Wash your cutting boards, dishes, utensils, and counter tops with hot soapy water after preparing each food item and before you go on to the next food.

* Consider using paper towels to clean up kitchen surfaces. If you use cloth towels wash them often in the hot cycle of your washing machine.

* Rinse fresh fruits and vegetables under running tap water, including those with skins and rinds that are not eaten.

* Rub firm-skin fruits and vegetables under running tap water or scrub with a clean vegetable brush while rinsing wtih running tap water.

There's more--but if you are really worried about pathogens, you need to use a bleach solution on surfaces in the kitchen. Also, use a meat thermometer to make sure you cook to the temperature that will kill the bacterias. (At least 160 in most cases)

C. diff is a tricky bug, hard to kill with anything but bleach in the hospital and able to survive most cooking techniques in the kitchen. And, unlike scary infections like E. coli 0157:H7, which has transmitted illness through foods from ground beef to fresh spinach, C. diff can't be traced quickly to its source.

"With difficile, you can eat a nice, thick braunschweiger sandwich today, then two weeks from now you get strep throat, take antibiotics and develop difficile-related disease," Songer explained. "You're weeks separated from the event."

This is scary and one of the main reasons I grow all our meat.

The bacteria pumps out a ton of toxins and that is what kills. Get yourselves some medical grade activated charcoal and keep it on hand. At the first sign of intestinal problems start taking a tsp of charcoal in a cup of water and take it several times a day till you are well. My daughter used to bring home every stomach bug that went around in school and I was never sick from it in spite of a poor immune system. I always started taking charcoal as soon as she got sick and would start her on it too. I always had to clean up after her when she vomited or got diarrhea because she is not able to do it herself. Use good handwashing, but remember you will not be able to remove all the bacteria.

Archived