MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What are you canning today? Part 4

MamaTiger

Yesterday, I canned 33 quarts, 8 pints of vegetable/beef soup. I filled the jars, mostly with solids, so when I serve it, I will add more tomato juice, then pasta and cabbage. I processed the quarts for 90 mins., since this was actually "condensed soup." Friday, I pick up my cow...It weighed 600lb., so the butcher said I will probably get at least 200 lbs. of hamburger and 200 lbs. of cubed stew meat....So more canning, this weekend.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, Steph, tell me about your 4 qt. canner. Where did you get it, what brand is it? I'd love one , as I quite often would like to can smaller amounts. I hate dragging out the Big'un too.

kully, sorry didn't notice your question at first.

Here's the same canner that I got last weekend. It's for bid at Ebay. I got mine from an individual for $5 woohoo

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mirro-8-Quart-Pressu...bayphotohosting

What Violet said the rule of thumb was is whether it can hold 4 quarts and it does, just perfectly.

There are several 8 qt canners (newer models) in different brands out there. Hope you find a good bargain!

I canned the "beans with molasses sauce" which are just pork and beans. Got all the way through filling the jars, went to the freezer for the bag of pulled pork to add for the "3/4 inch piece of pork, ham, or bacon" and found that that bag of pulled pork was actually a bag of leftover Thanksgiving turkey! rofl Figured adding a piece of turkey might be better than nothing, so we now have "turk and beans" and they are pretty dog gone good. I'm not sure the turkey is adding any taste at all, but DH says it is.

These were not quite as easy as doing the raw pack chicken, but they were pretty easy. Much easier than doing the baked beans and taste about the same. And there's nothing in them that's going to give me a rash or make my blood pressure go up.

On my way home from work Thursday night, I stopped to forage behind Aldi's. I got a flat of vine tomatoes (and a couple of bags of really sweet tangerines, only two of which were squished, one in each bag. Honestly, the stuff they throw out!)

I keep a list of the stuff I've put up that I've collected from "D-Mart". My fourteen pints of stewed tomatoes just went on the list.

In my area such reject foods are given to the local food banks instead of being tossed in the dumpster. I learned much of my canning dealing with that very ripe food and I turned around and taught others. It's all quality food, but just not "pretty" for the front of the store.

In my area such reject foods are given to the local food banks instead of being tossed in the dumpster. I learned much of my canning dealing with that very ripe food and I turned around and taught others. It's all quality food, but just not "pretty" for the front of the store.

Josephine,

We teach people to not double anyway. It often ends in syrup and not jelly. I would rather make two batches anyway to be sure they will gel.

You can buy a special jam pot, but I just use my big dutch oven or a stockpot I have. I don't have a place to store another big pan. The jam pot would be lovely to have, though.

I hope you find a nice big pan cheaply or even free . Now, that would be a blessing.

This sure isn't much, but at least I didn't waste the mandarin oranges. I peeled and canned what I had.Only 4 half pints, but at least it is something.

I used my 8 qt pot with 9 cups of juice and 6.75 cups of sugar (I don't often use pectin recipes). The recipe I use calls for 4 cups juice and 3 cups sugar. After I cleaned up the mess I put a dab of butter in the juice and that kept the boiling down under the rim. I think I will have to use a different large pot and use the stock pot to boil can the few jars I get with the normal amounts called for in the recipe. smile

Originally Posted By: serendipity

I did up 14 quarts of ground beef today.

How many pounds of GB did you put in a quart? One of the grocery stores was having a London Broil sale $1.99 a lb, and I was going to have the butcher there grind the meat up for me, but for some reason he couldn't. It was hard to understand him, the grinder may have been broken. ??

Since I work today, I will be canning turkey and chicken tonight. DS1 freezer just couldn't make it through 8 days w/o power, meat was cold with crystals, so I said bring it over, I'll can it. DIL cleaned their small house ALL day, and she couldn't even cook it in the oven and pick off the bone to help out. But, I cannot stand to have him lose all that meat, so I am glad to help him out.

Ice storm is still very real here, but most can get around and well over half have power restored, today is Day 9.

I have that same problem! Going along the lines that you only stock what you eat, no one seems to be able to keep their hands off of it.

I figure eventually they will get used to all this good food being around and once they get used to it i'll be able to stock up better

Tuesday, I canned 43 pints of ground beef with onion, garlic, and beef broth. Last night, I canned 53 pints of ground beef, with onion, taco seasoning, tomato juice, another 12 pints, of the beef, with onion, garlic, beef broth. Only one didn't seal. I started with a total of 80lbs. of ground beef.

How's this...I went and picked up some of my cow...This is a BIG cow, so three trips, to bring it home. I took three packages of the hamburger to give to a neighbor, and a fourth, to cook, and make into nachos, at her house, for hers and mine. Three bites, into eating my plate of nachos, I bit into a rather large piece of bone...200lbs. of ground beef, and the first package, 3rd bite...I went, the next morning, to pick up more of my beef and asked the butcher about the bone. He said I was likely to find more and to let them know, they would get onto their employees, who need to be watched about this...Oh great! This piece of bone, was large enough, that one could break a tooth, biting into it. I also mentioned, that this meat is just full, of grissel. The butcher's wife, said, I needed to have let them know, that I didn't want that in it. She said, she didn't want a bit of it in hers...AND WHO DOES? I needed to TELL them! Wouldn't grissel free meat, be a GIVEN!

I am so upset. I have had to pick all of that grissel, out of that meat and it has taken hours. I canned till 2am, Monday night, and till 1am, last night. I still have 120lbs. of frozen, raw meat, that I want to make into meatballs and meat loaves, to freeze. How am I ever going to get all that grissel out and make sure there is no bone, to gag my chicks, or break their teeth on?! I am so disappointed and frustrated! I guess, I should already know the answer to this one....Don't most people care about anything?

Hi Arby! The general rule is the less fat the better, although sometimes you add a bit to flavor, like with Pork and Beans.

Meatloaf is not 'approved' as the density of the meat doesn't allow it to process properly. This is how Violet explained this to me. You can do small hamburger patties but I haven't done so.

My favorite way to do the ground beef is the Seasoned Beef recipe in the Blue Book

Archived