MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What are you canning today? Part 4

MamaTiger

I don't think you are doing anything wrong. It just takes a long time to can. That is why I got 2 large canners and I can at least stack pints in there. I know somebody who has one that will stack quarts. It is a HUGE All American canner. I would be afraid of all the weight ruining my stove.

Easier for me to just run two canners.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: serendipity</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I did up 14 quarts of ground beef today. </div></div>

How many pounds of GB did you put in a quart? One of the grocery stores was having a London Broil sale $1.99 a lb, and I was going to have the butcher there grind the meat up for me, but for some reason he couldn't. It was hard to understand him, the grinder may have been broken. ??

When oue local grocery store had roast on sale ($1.99) I asked the butcher to grind it up and he also said he was not able to.

I don't think the stores allowing this because then they would loss money since regular ground beef is two to three dollars more a pound when they have sales on roast.

When oue local grocery store had roast on sale ($1.99) I asked the butcher to grind it up and he also said he was not able to. I don't think the stores allowing this because then they would loss money since regular ground beef is two to three dollars more a pound when they have sales on roast.

I had it done a few (or more, who knows!) years ago, so I thought they would. Another store has beef on sale for $1.99, I'll ask them this week. If I have to I'll get out my old metal grinder. :P

Canned Nerd,

In my chicken a-la-king I put cooked chicken, celery, pickled peppers, bell peppers, mushrooms, chicken broth and salt and pepper.

I know at one point I let the pressure build up to 14 pounds when it should have been 12, (I really shouldn't can when the family is home and they all want to fix their food and add to the chaos in the kitchen.)

Other than the pressure thing, everything was done the same as always. Oh well, we had to have chicken a-la-king for several meals.

Keep in mind that you can reprocess the unsealed jars within 24 hours with fresh lids. It could have been that some oil from the chicken crept up the sides of the jar and got on the rims. You did not indicate any indication of a purging overflow which might also have left some residue on the rims. Things like that happen.

I had asked about the ingredients because Chicken a la King generally implies the addition of a dairy product and I just want to confirm. Hmmm, why am I drooling for Chicken a la King early in the morning. :)

I'm never quite sure whether to put this stuff here or in the What Have You Done to Prepare thread...

I bought 14-ish lb of Top Round and had it ground at the grocery store and am going to can it. I think I will do pints instead of quarts as the ground beef will be supplement to the recipe, not the main protein.

I also put all my leftover onion and carrot pieces and chicken bones etc in a freezer bag, and when it gets full I roast them and make broth. I'm defatting that now and will can them in pints. I think I need to get more jars!

Canned Nerd,

I've heard that you can re-process them, but was afraid it would be too mushy. I add butter, cream and flour to the chicken a-la-king after I open it. This makes it nice and creamy and thick like a gravy.

Of course, if I'm relying on my food stores in an emergency, I may not have access to cream and butter.

There will be some loss in quality sometimes, but sometimes that is better option than refrigerating and having to eat immediately or tossing.

Powdered butter is available for emergencies and it can also be easily frozen for future use. I keep Evaporated Milk and also powdered milk for cooking needs when fresh is not readily available.

I just finished canning 7 more quarts of chicken a-la-king. All 7 sealed this time!

Now I have 4 quarts of chicken soup in the canner. I've never done chicken soup before. I read over the thread where Darleen and others discussed it.

I have to tell you... I'm getting tired of canning.

I have to tell you... I'm getting tired of canning.

I've got 20 min to go on the 20 (!) pints of ground beef in the canner in the clean kitchen, and I'll tell you I'm beat. I thought I would only need about 14 pints, and had to scramble to find 6 more. I found 4 wide mouth ones, and when I began to put them in I couldn't fit the last pint in. It took some finagling and shifting around but all 20 are in there. Whew!

Tomorrow when I see the pints lines up all labeled and pretty, I'll be ready to think about what's next. :)

Okay, it's me again.

I canned 10 quarts of Hawaiian chicken yesterday.

Maybe instead of checking in and letting you know what I've canned I should just issue a statement.

I will be canning indefinately...or until a stack of filled jars topples over onto me.

Well, at least the friends and family won't need to bring my family food after I'm gone! Or if they do, my husband can request that it be canned.

Okay, it's me again.

I canned 10 quarts of Hawaiian chicken yesterday.

Maybe instead of checking in and letting you know what I've canned I should just issue a statement.

I will be canning indefinately...or until a stack of filled jars topples over onto me.

Well, at least the friends and family won't need to bring my family food after I'm gone! Or if they do, my husband can request that it be canned.

What is Hawaiian chicken?

Archived