MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What are you canning today? Part 4

MamaTiger

There are another ten kilos of duck wings being salted and prepared for canning in their own fat. One side of bacon more has been taken from the salt and hung to dry and cure. I rubbed salt and liquid smoke into the spareribs that I cut from the side of bacon and they are in the canner as I type. Extra duck fat will be going into jars and canned sometime today. The dehydrator is busy with cinnamon bananas.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I 'canned' 1 quart of dried parsley, 1 quart of dried celery.

tomorrow I try my hand at water bath canning some dill pickles.

You don't really "can" the dried stuff. You dehydrate it and then store it in canning jars. Some folks have a vacuum device to suck the air out of the canning jar when storing dry goods in it. I believe Angela uses that method.

Originally Posted By: Canned Nerd
How do you can dried parsley and dried celery?

I was joking. I put them in canning jars and sucked the air out of them.

29 pints of turkey soup (at which point I ran out of celery), though I had to open a few extra pints of turkey stock for that. Then 7 pints of turkey meat in stock (had one more jar left, but that was second full canner load, so left it at that). Rest of turkey meat is in freezer, along with THIrd turkey I bought while it was on sale. Which makes for 47 pints of turkey soup, 7 pints of turkey meat, b unch of extra turkey meat, and another 24# turkey, all from thanksgiving sales. smile

3 quarts of turkey

11 quarts of potatoes(Is the liquid supposed to look "cloudy" in the jar after canning? Some are more than others shrug )

a bit over 1/2 Quart of dehydrated diced potatoes. My first attempt at dehydrating potatoes, and I'm pleased with the results. They look exactly like the dried potatoes in a green chile soup mix I buy at Sam's Club.

I still have almost a bushel? of potatoes to preserve, so I'll be doing the dehydrating thing a few more days smile

Yep, starch from the potatos. You get rid of a lot of it by cooking it in water, which you then dump and use fresh water for the actual canning, but that doesn't remove all of it. nothing to worry about. smile It'll settle to the bottom, and it's just good safe potato calories.

Got about 20m on the canner left. By the time I go to bed, I'll have canned :

9 pts pintos & veggies

4 qts beef stew

5qts pork & 3-bean stew

7 24oz jars potatoes in turkey stock

I also fried 1.5# bacon ends & have beans soaking, both for the "bush's" baked beans I'm canning tomorrow. I have 8 pounds of ground meat in the fridge thawing for a mini-OAMC marathon tomorrow (meatballs, salisbury steaks & meatloaves).

Only an hour before I can sink into bed, only an hour before I can sink into bed, only an hour before I can sink into bed.... lol

Heh, is nice to take a break, isn't it susie? Did that last week (well, except for that batch of turkey), but getting back to it this weekend, have last turkey from thanksgiving sales thawing in fridge, and thennext week I'll work on coming up with cannable version of my rabbit stew. Back to heating my house with stove going under stockpot/canner. smile

Archived