MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What are you canning today? Part 4

MamaTiger

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We just came through a six day power outage. Thank goodness for the gas stove cooktop and the pressure canner. I spent two solid days canning most of the meat in our freezer and a day canning all the frozen blueberries and two gallons of blackberries that I had saved to do "later on." Well, later came all at once...LOL

It was nice though to be stocking up the shelf downstairs even as the freezer emptied. Thank goodness it is a small freezer!!!

Judy,

I am glad you could at least can the food and not have to throw it out. I am also happy you got the power back on !

Sure, John, that counts. It is still preserving.

If I needed Granny Smith apples I would buy some and do something with them. They are cheap here this week.

No canning planned today, as I am going to a dance competition tonight. But have a big stock pot of chicken stock going, and a turkey in oven. Going to can up stock, turkey soup, and leftover chicken and turkey meat tomorrow and sunday.

Did 9 gal of apple cider today--used 5 gal to begin making cider vinegar. Am going to can 2 gal and the other gal I used to make apple syrup for pancakes.

Also juiced 3 bushels of lemons---and did you know that only makes 10 pints of juice????????????

Also canned 19 qts of field peas, 8 qts of blackeyed peas, and 10 qts of fordhooks...got a canner load of cut corn in the canner now and have 56 more to can

I also canned pea soup (made with leftover hambone from Christmas dinner) and ham and bean soup with chunks of the leftover ham. I canned only 3 quarts of each because I am OUT of canning jars and NO ONE has any around here. I have posted on Craigslist and nothing!

Well, while I haven't canned anything lately, this is relevant because DH finished some shelves for me in the basement.

I FINALLY have all my canning in ONE PLACE. For months, I've been tripping over trays and boxes and *knew* I had more relish but had to sift through 4 boxes to find it.

I also posted this in the RURR thread "What have you done this week to prepare?"

Enjoy the pix. This is only about half the canning. I've got special shelves for wide mouth pints and an entire shelf for smaller jars that are sitting in those industrial cardboard trays from Costco.

1511-CanningPantry1.gif

1512-CanningPantry3.gif

clap They are wonderful!!! I'm practically drooling! grin

I showed these to my dh and he said, "We have a perfect wall for that in the storage closet in the basement." woohoo

Of course that will just go on the never ending list of "honey do's".

My 7 quarts of chicken breasts last night turned out so purty! curtsey I'm going to pick up another round (limit 3 pkgs per visit) at .99 lb, it's a good deal.

Right now I've got 2 quarts of braised beef chunks and 5 quarts of chili in the canner, waiting for it to build up the heat. When I get started, that's all I want to do! I tend to hyper focus! whistling

Archived