MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What are you canning today? Part 4

MamaTiger

Sixteen jars of peanut butter.

That stuff is not only difficult to find over here...but when you do find it it is very expensive....over nine euros a kilo (about seven bucks a pound).

So when I saw roasted peanuts on sale for just two euros a kilo, I scooped them up.

The problem was the grinding of them. I finally put the kids to work and they ground them in the old cast-iron manual grinder, the kind that hooks onto a countertop. They were 'oilier' and tastier after having been ground twice, by the way.

I've got them in the pressure canner and they'll be whacked at ten pounds for half an hour.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The USDA no longer recommends canning peanut butter but the *old* Ball Blue book used to say one hour in the pressure canner for peanut butter. Just so you know.

Originally Posted By: JCK88
The USDA no longer recommends canning peanut butter but the *old* Ball Blue book used to say one hour in the pressure canner for peanut butter. Just so you know.

Thank you.

Today is my peanut butter learning day. It's too thick without oil and, although delicious, doesn't get the heat through at half an hour, and probably wouldn't at even an hour. So we've taken it out of the jars and mixed in some peanut oil and this time, I'll take your advice and whack it for an entire hour.

NEXT time I will just can the nuts whole (ten minutes) and then grind them as we need them.

By the end of this, we are going to be sick, sick, sick of peanut butter!

Susie, was a recipe in the Ball Blue Book. THought it was a great idea, any time I have leftover cooked meat can throw it in a pot with jar of stew vegetables and just warm it through. Considering I have both ham and rabbit in freezer now, all cooked, definitely something I can use. smile

I am canning splitpea soup. One kilo of splitpeas makes a lot of soup, and now I know where the song comes from..."Pease porridge hot, pease porridge cold, pease porridge in the pot, nine days old"...if it weren't for the canner, we'd be eating it for the next nine days, for sure.

off top of my head, recipe was something along lines of this (and it's nice, as a lot more variety of veggies than in typical canning stew recipes)

6 Cups chopped carrots

4 cups peas

4 cups cut green beans

3 cups peeled cubed potatoes

2 cups quartered small onions (I just used sliced onions)

2 cups chopped red pepper

1/2 cup chopped parsley

3 qts chicken or veggie stock.

Supposed to make 7 qts (or as I said, made 13 pts for me)

I know there was celery, salt and pepper too, and probably a couple other things I'm forgetting. I used vegetable stock, per the ball blue book recipe. Would have used chicken, but I'm running low and planned to use that for matzo ball soup last night (ended up making something else though).

This week 43 jars tri-berry, 17 jars rhubarb/strawberry, 22 jars strawberry jam, 30 jars strawberry/orange sauce, and 19 jars, strawberry smooch. I was given 14 flats of strawberries and we are finally done canning them. I am so happy!

Originally Posted By: susie
I put jars in the oven with the dehydrated stuff in em and the lids on but not tightened, and then let the jar heat up a bit...expanding the air...then I tighten the lids and wait for the 'ping'.

I had asked a question about canning ww flour in another post. Would this method work for that? I just need a way to store my ground ww flour where it won't go rancid. WW flour has a tendency to do that if not stored in the freezer. I am wanting to get away from using a second freezer.

I'm not sure. I have to wonder if the heat of this method would be detrimental to the flour and might make it go rancis faster that it otherwise would have?

I have a vaccum pack thing and use bags, but I know that others have an attachment on their vacuum machines that lets you store flour in jars by sucking the air out of the jars without using heat.

I wish I could give you a better answer.

(but I do use this heat method for storing wheatberries)

Originally Posted By: ndbeckner1
I had asked a question about canning ww flour in another post. Would this method work for that?

That's not canning (the process of pasteurizing food) and it does not create an airless environment so I see no benefit in it, though like "as seen on TV", it sounds good. For flour you would actually be roasting it a bit which may not be good either.

The only ways I know to store flour, especially WW and similar, is by use of oxygen absorbers or FoodSaver vacuum bags.
Originally Posted By: Canned Nerd
Originally Posted By: ndbeckner1
I had asked a question about canning ww flour in another post. Would this method work for that?

That's not canning (the process of pasteurizing food) and it does not create an airless environment so I see no benefit in it, though like "as seen on TV", it sounds good. For flour you would actually be roasting it a bit which may not be good either.

The only ways I know to store flour, especially WW and similar, is by use of oxygen absorbers or FoodSaver vacuum bags.

It may not be 'canning', but the vacuum does remove air, which is also what canning does....less air=less spoilage.

Ummmmm, guys, I tried it. I only did it on 2 quarts of whole wheat flour. It worked. At least so far. I filled the jars, put them in the oven for 30 min @ 250 degrees and then tightened the lids as soon as they were removed from the oven. They both sealed. The flour wasn't burned or discolored such as toasting would do. It looked like it did when I put it in the oven. I will probably use it sooner rather than later anyway, so I will post on here what the final results are. Right now it looks promising.

Archived