MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What are you canning today? Part 4

MamaTiger

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I hesitate since it isn't an approved recipe. Just remember, you forced it out of me. I'll give the ingredients, but I couldn't possibly give the amounts since I winged it.

Chunks of chicken breasts, Canned pineapple chunks, onions, bell peppers. Sauted

Sauce: Pineapple juice from the can, Apple cider vinegar, soy sauce, ginger, salt and pepper and sugar heated up. Layer in quart jars and process. I just used the processing time for a chicken a-la -king recipe I have. 90 minutes at 12 pounds pressure.

I'm not going to kill my family, am I?

I used the leftover sauce to bake over little meatloaf patties for dinner. It was good!

ndbeckner,

Until last fall, all I had ever canned was green beans, tomatoes and jams. The thought of canning meats really intimidated me. I guess it seemed that it would be riskier.

After reading about others canning meals in a jar and hearing how handy it would be to have a stock of jars to pop open for a meal, I plunged in.

Do you have a pressure canner? If so, start out with something simple like chicken soup or even just chicken stock. Search this site and others for recipes for inspiration.

I have canned meat before and chili, but my point is that you ladies seem to have massive amounts of things going each day. I am very impressed. I do plan on starting to make things like chili, beef stew, chicken pot pie filling, etc, I just haven't gotten to that yet. I still need to get a few items to complete the recipes. I do have a presseure canner. It is a National pressure canner company canner. Never heard of it? It is because they were bought out by presto years and years ago. This canner belonged to my grandmother. It was made in 1941. I have had it checked out by the county extension office and have had the gasket and the vent replaced. It workes great. I just have been working fulltime up until now and didn't have time to use it a lot.

Canning does take a lot of time. It would be difficult with a full time job and all of the other things you try to squeeze into your week. There was no way I could can while I was working.

After making dinner, doing laundry, carting the kids around and everything else, who wants to wait in the kitchen babysitting a canner? You need to sleep sometime.

I am amazed at the amount of things some of these ladies do around here. They homeschool, garden, can, raise livestock and children and serve in their churches and communities. I was at home with my kids and home schooled them for a few years and I must say I was lazy in comparison to them!

Originally Posted By: Homemaker
I am amazed at the amount of things some of these ladies do around here.

I think most ladies here that do so much will tell you they don't do it all at once.

I work full time and when I can, it is on the weekend, and no other housework gets done. I enjoy it, and those filled jars stay on the kitchen counter all the following week so I can admire them!

Oh, and I certainly do not can every weekend, either. sleepy

Any food storage method we employ will bless our family with a bit more security against hard times, whether it is a canning session or careful marketing that enables us to bring home a couple extra items that week to tuck into the pantry.

Heh, I only can on weekends, if then, ndbeckner, so nothing to be ashamed of. And last few weeks, haven't canned at all (money's bbeen a little short, so didn't pick up anything for canning). Have 7 pounds of ground beef in freezer though that I'll season and can once I dig up something else to can too (I hate to waste the extra space leftover if I don't load canner completely).

Woo hoo!!! I waterbath canned cranberry juice today. 10 quarts water bath canned, and 1 jar I just left out to use. No sense in canning it when we are going to drink it now. LOL. Tomorrow I will do the same amount.

I am also drying two trays of cranberries, and I will dry about that many, maybe more tomorrow. I still have about 10 lbs of cranberries. (24 packages, 12 oz each, A little under half are bad. 154 oz give or take)

I have about 35 lbs of tangerines to can. Tomorrow. It HAS to be tomorrow. That is going to take all of the rest of my canning jars.

I have dried about 15 lbs of lemons. I am going to squeeze and freeze the rest...or maybe can it, who knows? I might get ambitious tomorrow. My back is killing me and so are my legs! OUCH.

I have a flat of pingpong size tomotoes to dry. I can't can them, no pressure canner. I think I will dry them then store them in olive oil. Yummy.

Wow Angela, you are SMOKING along! You go girl!

And Stephanie, that is an incredible amount of work too! What a great feeling it is though.

Dh canned 14 quarts of applesauce today. Yippee! I can't take any credit for it since he did it, but since it goes into the family stores I do get to count it. Into the Harvest Room it goes. Besides, I had to clean up a bit after him so that sort of counts, right?

grin

I canned dog food yesterday (meat & veggies only, grain product will be added upon opening the jar). I did four loads in eleven hours and got 19 quarts + 8 pints. Think that dog appreciates it? Probably not! rofl But I do feel better feeding him good stuff.

Today I canned A LOT of 10 pints of tangerines and 12 half pints of tangerines. Sugar syrup I|(Lite) and water (for my dad). I also made cranberry juice without sugar for my dad. 5 pints canned, two I left uncanned for use today and tomorrow (my kids are loving it, it will be gone soon LOL)>

I dried three trays of cranberries. (They turned out unsweet, sour and hard) I am going to dry tangerines because I am OUT of jars after the next 24 I can, and can't find any more, nor could I afford them if I could find them.

I plan to make craisons, but I haven't found a recipe that sounds like it will work. anyone ever made these?

Angela, I found this online:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=76608

You have to actually cook them a little so the skin breaks, otherwise they will never dry, just get hard like a marble.

You will need enough simple syrup, half strength, or less, figure 3/4 cup sugar to a cup of water.

Bring to a high simmer, not quite boiling.

Pour in the washed and cleaned cranberries, stir well, let the heat come back up till you can see a few bubbles, 3 minutes or so.

Stir again to bring the bottom berries up to the top. As soon as you can see about half of them popped, remove from heat and leave in the syrup for 30 minutes.

Using a slotted spoon or strainer, lift the berries out of the syrup and spread on your dehydrator screen over a sheet pan to catch drips.

As soon as most of the syrup has dripped off the berries, place into the dehydrator.

Shake the trays every 8 hours or so to keep them from sticking in place.

They are done when they have shrunk a bit more than half their original size and are still a bit soft but not too tacky.

Taste is important.

Do a small batch first to see how they turn out then do the rest, making adjustments as needed. Some cranberries are exceptionally tart and may need more sugar 1:1 ratio instead of 3/4:1.

I have never found this recipe before so I was happy too!

Wow, Aint2 and Homemaker, you have both been really busy! What a lot of work! Way to go!

I am venturing further into the world of canning meats. First I braved chicken, thanks to all you ladies here. It worked great! Now today I stirred up the wherewithal to tackle beef stew and it is processing as we speak.

I have water bathed canned for 20 years but pressure canning always scared me. Thanks to all of you I am getting braver!

Yes, I am soooo proud of myself, lol.

((hugs))

I had 2 quarts of ham and bean soup and 2 of chicken soup that didn't seal that I had put into the fridge. I didn't think that was enough for a canner run, but I had 2(.5?) cups of dry pinto beans, so I cooked them up and made 2 more quarts, then boiled the other soups and recanned them with new lids and processed them all for 90 min. They all sealed! w00t!

Archived