MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What are you canning today? Part 4

MamaTiger

I'm canning 12 pints of breakfast sausage today...browned, rinsed then filled with chicken stock. When that's done I'm doing 10# of burger but in quarts though, so it should go faster. It feels like a ton of work, but the few jars I'm canning are nothing compared to what I've been reading. Wow, you ladies are impressive!

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Canning *is* a lot of work, but the thing I love about it so much is that I am taking the time to do it *now*, during odd days or bits of time , so that I can free up the time I will need *later*, when I do not always necessarily have time to cook a big supper (such as during the summer when I am out in the gardens all day, working). Plus I am making one big mess now, so that later all I have to do is open a jar or two, toss the lids into the recycling bin and wash out the jars. What a reward!

And of course there is the prep factor, as well. So nice to have it on hand, period.

You go, ladies! We'll cheer each other on as we continue. It is so encouraging to me to read of all your accomplishments.

Arby,

Many folks put the cooked ground meat into a colander and rinse before they pack into the jars.

Stephanie is right, no meatloaf, but meatballs and patties can be canned, but no bread crumbs, oatmeal, or anything like that is safe to add.

Here is the way to do the ground meats :

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_05/ground_chopped.html

Violet,

If I want to can ground turkey instead of ground beef, do you know if I would pack and process it the same as for ground beef?

My family and I do not eat beef, but I would love to have ground turkey on hand.

Thanks in advance for any information you might be able to provide! :)

I've got 10 pints of orange and grapefruit slices started in the BWB. That is the LAST time I am doing those! They were a (meany) to peel (can I say (meany)?) and the grapefruit practically fell apart on me.

IF I ever do citrus again I'll try Clementines. IF I ever do citrus again!

ps I thought I would dry the orange peel in the dehydrator, but I NEVER want to see another orange peel in my life!!

Okay, I'm saving up what I've canned and will only report it once a week in order to save room in cyberspace.

This week, I canned 7 quarts of chicken cacciatore and 8 quarts of chili.

I think I need to build yet another shelf for it all!

Could you tell me how you made the chicken caccitore? I would love to can some. Thank you Toni

I don't have an actual approved recipe for the chicken cacciatore.

I cube up chicken, bell peppers, mushrooms and onions, saute in oil. Add canned tomatoes, oregano, salt and pepper.

Pack into quart jars (about 1/3 chicken to vegies and sauce.)

Pressure cook 10 lbs pressure for 90 minutes.

Serve over mashed potatoes or rice.

You can thicken the juice with a butter/flour mixture like when you make a white sauce.

Archived