MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Charitable giving

michelle

Originally Posted By: Crazy4Canning
I second the need for school supplies. I had a 14 year old yell at me last week because he didn't have a pencil. When I asked him why he screamed back because his parents were poor and the five of them were living in a 2-bedroom apartment with barely enough for food let alone worrying about a pencil.

I then vowed to take an extra box with me whenever I go to sub.

Do you have pencils? I have about a hundred that I got free at Staples, if you would like I can slip them in an envelope and send them off to you. I am going to send some to school with my kids to take to each class and give to their teachers. You can never have enough pencils. Kids seem to eat them!

Deer Bev's Country Cottage is where I get a lot of my crochet patterns actually. I've been crocheting some stuff for some of the charities on her list. I wanted to improve my crocheting before I made anything for those poor babies though. I think the stuff I'm making now though is turning out nice. I need to go back and get the patterns off for those preemie gowns and all.

Just had a thought on charitable RECEIVING. Surely everyone has gotten at least one gift that was well uh... not exactly something you liked but you also realized it's about the giver not the gift.

According to legend, a young man while roaming the desert came across a spring of delicious crystal-clear water. The water was so sweet he filled his leather canteen so he could bring some back to a tribal elder who had been his teacher. After a four-day journey he presented the water to the old man who took a deep drink, smiled warmly and thanked his student lavishly for the sweet water. The young man returned to his village with a happy heart.

Later, the teacher let another student taste the water. He spat it out, saying it was awful. It apparently had become stale because of the old leather container. The student challenged his teacher: "Master, the water was foul. Why did you pretend to like it?"

The teacher replied, "You only tasted the water. I tasted the gift. The water was simply the container for an act of living-kindness and nothing could be sweeter."

Ah Granny....that's a great reminder.

A nice thing to say if you really don't like what you got is to put a huge smile on and say to the giver, "I love you SO much for thinking of me!" and say nothing about the thing.

I am reminded of my very first wedding anniversary. We had kittens and I had casually mentioned one day that I would like to teach them to walk on leashes and I was going to get some nice cat harnesses and leashes I had seen at the hardware store. Well..my ever thoughtful hubby bought these things for me and gave them to me as a wedding anniversary present!!!! NOT a really good gift to foster romance, LOL BUT, it was something he thought I wanted and he HAD been paying attention to what I had been talking about....SO.....I had to just love those cat leashes and harnesses and the guy who gave them to me. Yet, being the perceptive gentleman that he is, hubby just KNEW...and the next year, I got really pretty lingerie as my serious present and nicely wrapped packets of treats for the kitties as a joke)

Granny, thanks for posting that reminder and the poignant parable.

I just talked to the women's shelter not far from here. She's getting some information together for me and we're going to see about doing something for them for Christmas. I have some family and friends that are going to help too so we might be able to give these moms and kids a Christmas! woohoo

snowman2

Oh Michelle, that is so awesome! I am happy you have found something to fit what you needed.

Archived