MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

The Christmas Spirit Has Returned

Dee

When DD left home 9 years ago to move out on her own to CA it was Christmas time. It was a hard time seeing my 19 year old set out on her own but she's proven herself through the years and is getting along fine. I didn't realize until today how much it affected me.

DGS is 2 this year and I said to DH last year, after the holidays, we needed to get a tree for the house for this little guy next year. We also have a new 7 weeks old DGD.

We got new everything and today I've started putting it up. As DH came in from chores he saw me putting up the tree and a Garth Brooks Christmas CD blarring. DH has the most gorgeous smile you ever saw, it just warms your heart and he smiled at me, gave me a light kiss and said Merry Christmas. I laughed and said I know it's a little early but.....

Awhile ago DS and DGS came in saying Dad said to come see what Mom's doing. He and DGS each gave me a hug and DS left with a smile on his face.

I had no idea that DD leaving had made me so sad for so long. I still don't like her gone BUT we now have these little people to enjoy and decorate for.

I like to keep Christ in Christmas but I also love the decorating for the little ones. Their eyes shine about as bright as mine are right now.

Enjoy the holidays and be kind to everyone, especially those you love most!!!

bighug

Such profound wisdom, Dear Dee! You've blessed me richly by your sharing! Your most impacting point that hit me like a ton of bricks is when you mentioned about your DH's smile. That's what it's all about,isn't it??... keeping that love kindled aflame within the home and spreading out that warmth out to those loved ones old and new. That is Christmas that will last all year long!

My youngest DD flies away into her future next fall at college and DS has been living his adult life for nearly 5 years. I just know that I will need continual uplifts in adjusting to empty nest years and your post just makes me all warm and fuzzy.

Merry Christmas to Dee's household! Merry Christmas indeed!

Very poignant post, Dee. {sigh} We did the flying away in our house. And it's just not the same with us 'old folks'. DH and I and my parents and a long-time family friend. It would be so much more fun if kids/Grkids would be able to visit more....and at Christmas!!!

laughkick But for some reason after living on Maui all these years, DD2 doesn't want to face the issue of children's gloves, hats, coats, wooley sox, boots, and "I hafta go!"

MtRider [Oh well, mebbe in June?]

Thank you,

I've been pondering what to do about Christmas this year. For the past 25 years we have returned 'home' to be with my DH's family. Always with the excitement of a child that it might snow. All the family gathered together sharing stories, laughs, and love. Da died on Christmas day last year and MIL is here because she doesn't think she could handle being alone.

Last night I opened a couple of the Christmas decorations. I gently unwrapped the 6" metal tree from my Grandmother and dusted the little white bells and its red ribbon and placed on my kitchen table, as twinges of memories tugged at my heart. The next box was a simple nutcracker they had given us 15 years ago, still in excellent condition, I placed it in the living room next to the TV. Then, a bow for the door and a small jingle bell wreath for the outside of the door. A wave of fear came over me that she might disapprove or cry, so, I quit.

This morning she went to early mass and when she returned she noticed, looked at me and smiled. (Dang, I had to leave the room, because I started to cry... darn emotions.)

I am hoping to give her a wonderful Christmas, and praying God will give her peace and comfort she so desperately needs.

Annarchy, my mom passed on christmas last year too.

I was just relieved when I talked to my dad on the phone on Thanksgiving that he seems to be happier and maybe getting used to the fact that mom is no longer here, at least some of the time.

I cant have him over for the holidays as we have 3000 miles separating us. I miss my mom too, but I know she wants us to do our best to have good times and enjoy our lives as hers was quite full. She had been terribly ill with some horrid stuff for a year, so I know shes doing alot better in the heavenly places she is at now. Knowing she is released from those physical chains is a relief in a way. I miss talking with her, though, thats for sure.

I am going to try and be as upbeat as I can this christmas time. My son just took the next step in his life and he and P are now married and we have many hopes for the future.

Even in the face of all the tough stuff going on right now, we still want a good future. Sometimes its just putting one foot in front of the other though. Yes, remember the good times you had as you grew up, remember your loved ones who have gone on before you.... its all part of your life, they are beaming love down on you all right now.

thats how I feel about my mom and grandparents.

I am starting over in a lot of things and I dont have much, but I am grateful for what I do have. But I can still have some good times with those I care about and like. Even over many miles, and the start of new traditions with my DS and DIL, since her input will change and mold things from now on too.....

I am glad your DM can be right with you. You can draw strength together and make it your own tradition.

I am sitting here snuffling and teary-eyed now from reading these posts, as I have really been "lax" about Christmas decorating and traditions since both sets of parents are gone and the nest emptied. It just seemed like a lot of trouble for "just the two of us."

You know, a woman really does set the emotional "tone" for the family. And a family is a family, no matter how small. (to paraphrase Horton)

So, today I will be getting out the tree and decorations, while oldest DS is still here, as he leaves tomorrow.

My DH has a wonderful smile, too.

Thank you all so much for sharing. grouphug2

WINTERGOODMORING1.gif

I haven't gotten things out yet either, I like to put the tree up as soon after Thanksgiving as I can, but, just haven't done it yet.

There will be DS, DDIL and the three grandsons here for Christmas this year. Well unless something happens that they can't make it. I do most of the decorating around here, as oldpine is usually at work when I'm doing it.

I do know what it is like to have the nest empty. DD and DS with his family are all in TX. Have been for several years now and there have been years when DS in Fargo hasn't been here either.

Here are some tissue2.gif for all of us who seem to get a bit teary-eyed sometimes. smile

HAVEAGREATDAYSNOWFLAKES.gifCHRISTMASHUGS1.gif

I think one of the reasons that I bought such a big tree is because I'm kinda struggling myself...

My life has changed so much and so many things are different, and while I have the girls here, there's alot that I miss.

I guess I figured a tree that big would snap me outta this funk I've been feeling because it's really kind of outrageous and I like outrageous. darlene

As others have said, reading this thread has really touched my heart and I think I just need to get up and start doing it...putting one step in front of the other. I'm sure as everything unfolds that the magic of Christmas will start flooding my heart and spurring me on.

Merry Christmas, Dee! Thank you so much for sharing. I agree, it is so much fun and worth all the work to decorate for the little ones. We have two grandchildren here - 5 and 19 months. We will be putting the tree on the cedar chest again this year (and DH will bungee it to the chest to keep everyone safe). I put a christmas banner up in the little guy's bedroom, while he was out with his Mom. When he came inside, he walked to his room and stopped in the doorway, and got a smile on his face and started jabbering at me. He was so excited to see the banner. God bless our little ones. They are truly a gift!

We didn't have a tree last year, but even though we are moving I let DD get the tree out and decorate, she is so happy! We need to remember the reason we celebrate and make it a time of celebration no matter whether we are on our own or part of a mob.

We had planned on moving to Louisana last year. A friend is putting mobiles on her land. However, our car was totaled by some juvinile delinquent and I had to get a new car...with car payment.

During the time we planned on moving, I had gotten rid of a lot of things. Christmas tree was one of them. It was an inexpensive 20 dollar tree I had gotten on the day after Thanksgiving last year. However it was a tree...even if Charlie Brown would have been proud of it!

My kids were worried we wouldn't have a tree.

So when Thanksgiving rolled around my kids were heart broken when I told them that we wouldn't be affording a Christmas tree this year. I told them we would put tinsel on the walls with a green construction paper... and 'make a tree'. My older (super sensitive) daughter went to her room and was quietly crying for about a half an hour. The other two had tears in their eyes even though I tried to make it sound like a fun idea.

I decided it was something super important to them

WE found a tree that I could afford. Well not really. I sold some of my Grandmother's things at a pawn shop and loose stones like inexpensive opals, ameth. etc., that I collected when I collected rocks and minerals...and gemstones a long time ago) at a rock hound shop. I had forgotten I HAD them until I brought the safe (and gun) home from my Dad's. Got 70 dollars for it all. They are gone now, so I won't be setting opals in earrings any time soon for myself. Ah well...it is bad luck to buy yourself opals ANYWAY! They were just sitting for the past 10 years in my safe so it isn't like I have lost something precious...I gained something precious...

Bought the Christmas tree.

The kids thought we wouldn't have one. Boy were they excited! We got out the little box of ornaments (mostly inexpensive Angels) and Beanie babies bears, and decorated the tree. It looks wonderful! I had tried last year not to use the Beanie Baby Bears in the tree...and got some major protests from the kids. So Beanies are in the tree like last the last 10 years. We just keep adding to them, by buying at yard sales.

I had gotten some candy canes, planning on putting them in a mason jar, from an rx I transfered and got 25$ for transfering. It was a vitamin rx. Costs me 79 cents or so each month. Good deal. RX runs out in two months. LOL! There are enough candy canes for the three kids to have one about every other day until Christmas.

We put on music while decorating, and sang along. Me with my very rough gravely voice from being so sick the past two weeks. Bronchitis. Then this coughing that won't go away. Left my voice sounding like I was a 70 year old heavy smoker. Let's just say my own voice annoys the heck out of me, and I HAVEN'T been humming or singing the past couple of weeks. Usually I am singing or humming something all the time.

LOL!

My girls thought I wasn't looking after they went to bed, and they snuck their blankets and pillows into by the Christmas tree, and fell asleep there.

Some traditions it is important to keep for the sake of the kids.

I got one of those small living trees at Wal Mart for 12 bucks. That was about all I could spend this year on a tree. However, we usually do like a table top deal anyway, as we do it like they did in the 1860's--with hand made ornaments and some miniature ones collected over the years. With our wood stove, we wouldn't want to put one in the living room, anyway. It would be a fire hazard in a couple days!

Our living room is small so we don't have a space for a tree. So just outside the big window where the bird feeders are, my wife dug a hole and plans to set in place a tree to decorate just outside the living room window. She did it the last two years and it looks grand and gives the birds a place to hide and rest while feeding. Kinda neat I think.

We don't do Christmas, we do Channukah.

So, today in a fit of cleaning, I'm bringing out the Channukia, dreidels, and I think I will surprise my DH tonight with the lighted greenery.

With so much going on in the world, I think we need a little extra cheer and comfort. I was going to donate the greenery, but now I'm glad I didn't.

Originally Posted By: OldMaineBear
Our living room is small so we don't have a space for a tree. So just outside the big window where the bird feeders are, my wife dug a hole and plans to set in place a tree to decorate just outside the living room window. She did it the last two years and it looks grand and gives the birds a place to hide and rest while feeding. Kinda neat I think.

Ohhhh!!! I bet that is just beautiful in the snow!

snowman2

Christmas radio network

http://www.christmasradionetwork.com/

Click the "on the air" button at top

Minimize and listen to music while doing other internet tasks. Be patient as it seems every other song is the good ones I like(biblical basis) grin

Oh and I've made these candy trains before. They really turn out cute and simple to make. Except I turned the "kiss" the other way so the slip of paper was at the top for smoke coming out of smokestack.

http://www.grouprecipes.com/23150/candy-tr...andy-craft.html

Dee is sure putting me in the mood for Christmas!!! bighug

Originally Posted By: arby
C4C I would love to learn about Channukah if you would like to share, the meanings of the symbols and such. What a traditional meal for the celebrating and such is like.

Arby,

It means so much that you asked. Thanks for inquiring. I'll post a separate thread (so as to not hijack this one) in Streams, for Channukah does focus on the meditative.

It will be over the weekend, for I've got a birthday party tonight and a dinner party tomorrow night. 'Tis the season for good eats no matter what your faith! smile

bighug

Thanks to all of you for giving me back the spirit of Christmas. I really thought it was lost. With just the DH and me and the kids and grands 500 miles away, I wasn't going to decorate or anything. And then someone tried to convince me that it was unGodly to celebrate Christmas anyways...needless to say, I was getting pretty blue.

Then I checked in here while cooking dinner. I read all your posts, turned on the Christmas music on Dish, got out the decorations, stuff to make cookies, and the spirit of Christmas is filling our little house! snowman2starsnowman2loveplace

Q

Quiltys - It's not ungoldly to celebrate Christmas - I personally don't agree with the connection that it's Christ's birthday. I view Christmas as an American Tradition. Other people equate it with primitive Celtic tree and druid worship. I have to use a word here I don't use often - "whatever".

How rude someone projected their views onto you and took your joy over this holiday. I don't put up a tree because, like I said, we do Channukah, but I also have allergies, not to mention I've had friends always seem to have dozens of "Charlotte the spiders" and hundreds of her babies all around for the rest of the year. That would drive me nuts. It's very freeing for me to do a little baking and have our menorah.

I personally believe that you should celebrate how you see fit - GOOD FOR YOU that your decorations are out and you are baking. I can smell the goodness! smile I see you've found your joy again!

bighug

Archived