Time to move on...

Do you feel like you're progressing?

Going backwards?

Treading water where you're at?

cheer

link to part 34

At the moment I am treading water.

Nothing money can't solve. grin

I've made good headway. Need to work more on canned meat and get recipes and etc. organized.

I bartered and got a camp stove and a tent for a day of cleaning house! Is that eough for this week?

I'm making progress, but it seems so slow. When I do something like building this goat paddock, I can't keep up with the housework or other work at the same time. I feel overwhelmed a lot. We NEED to have our own source of dairy so I HAVE to get the goats taken care of. Then I HAVE to get the turkey pens done before they start laying. The geese need pens and I have to repair coops and I have to do something about the toxic mud so I need to dig drainage ditches and the house REALLY needs cleaning. I could cut back on the poultry, but I'm hoping to have income from them since I'm doubtful our disability checks will be worth much in the near future. I've GOT to get the pigs butchered soon too.

woohoo

Our JC Penny store was damaged in the hurricane this fall so the roof fell in and the store got water damage--they had to destry everything in there because it is illegal to sell stuff from "flood" waters==but...

they were selling the shelves and clothes racks today for $25 each--we got some shelves and racks for DDs closet so now I don't have to build them cheer

and we got some antique dress forms--they found them in the storage area--they are beautiful with wrought iron bases--she is putting on in her room to put an antique dress on for pretty but, I digress from preps...

Anyway, got some really great strong shelves and some odds and ends, one is like a lattice thing with no shelves--will be a great trellis for beans...

I'm cooking about 45 lbs. of chicken leg quarters to de-boneand freeze.

DH and I have started trying canned meat. This from the man who a few months ago said that he would rather starve than eat it.

We've tried chicken - it was good. Last weekend we tried canned ham - not so good. This weekend is SPAM.

Quote:
I'm making progress, but it seems so slow. When I do something like building this goat paddock, I can't keep up with the housework or other work at the same time. I feel overwhelmed a lot. We NEED to have our own source of dairy so I HAVE to get the goats taken care of. Then I HAVE to get the turkey pens done before they start laying. The geese need pens and I have to repair coops and I have to do something about the toxic mud so I need to dig drainage ditches and the house REALLY needs cleaning. I could cut back on the poultry, but I'm hoping to have income from them since I'm doubtful our disability checks will be worth much in the near future. I've GOT to get the pigs butchered soon too.

grouphug for CGA!!!

I feel the same way. I've been ill for so long this fall. I am feeling ...not nearly so ill but still waaay tired. Nonetheless, I've learned milking and am making yogurt as well. I have canned. I have sorted. I have shopped Thriftstores and God has blessed me with prep items at pennies on the dollar. I have struggled to find new places to PUT THESE BLESSINGS. It's a good day if I can see half my couch. laughkick I barely keep up with dishes and cleaning the bathroom. Dusting has become .....a joke. Vacuum when I can. There was so much to do outside in preparation of snow/winter. And snow/winter is now HERE so there is snow shoveling and clearing ice and making different winter protocols for the animal care and....... pullhair

But I was expressing all this to my mom....she was a farm wife in their day. She told me flat out that you pretty much CAN NOT keep up outside and inside too.
jawdrop
........uh, ....... ya mean I can take off Superwoman's cape and sit down without reading up on some prep topic or frantically trying to sort some stack of papers or catch up on RURR [let alone the rest of MrsS] or ......

twister But ...but....but....there is so much that needs to be done...I WANT to do it.....I LIKE doing this stuff......and I can do it....if I just can get up outta this coma and....... it will only take a minute..... DarleneSwoon {dang!}

For REAL, a big part of my prepping is learning and RE-learning what I can reasonably do and HOW TO LIVE WITH SO MUCH UNDONE. It will be vital that I do not [literally] kill myself in the midst of a crisis (cuz we are already in the HOOEY) by not using good judgement. I can hear that. I can understand that. But, some days more than others, I HATE that reality. That neccessity. But truth it is. God help us, and we will get by with what we have.

Oh, I do hear you, Trish!!!!

So I've discovered that it eases my emotions to accomplish a "micro-project" or two each day. [defined as taking little physical effort and up to an hour of time.] I'm never going to make much headway on just micro-projects but there are a few days that I can handle a macro-project. Accomplishing those make me feel SO good! cheer But the micro-projects are a balm.

laughkick Of course daily animal care doesn't count..... sassing

MtRider [dancing on the edge of the sword.... yipes!]

Yes, I spent all summer sitting. Animal and daughter care was pretty much all I did and the minimum of that. Finally feeling better but get awful tired some days. BTDT with the severe fatigue that just won't quit. I'm afraid if anybody saw the house it would be condemned! LOL (I'm resting today, too cold to work and I've been overdoing it.) I did order my cistern pump and found some flight netting at a decent price to cover the turkey pens. So the day wasn't a complete waste.

CGA, just do what you can. The house can wait until you are snowed in, if need be. If the "OTHER" people in the house (or visitors) object to some dust on the furniture, or dirty dishes in the sink, etc., just tell them where the vacuum cleaner, dust cloths, wash cloths, etc. are and tell them to "have at it". smile

If the majority of people OPENED THEIR EYES, they would see the amount of work you have (need) to do. In an "ideal world" they would even offer to help. (still trying to find the "ideal world") grin

I found a "new" site with very reasonable prices on freeze dried food tonight. I ordered a #10 can of diced beef and a #10 can of diced chicken.

Definitely worth checking out.

http://www.shop.bluechipgroup.net/main.sc

Dust and dirt is good for your immune system. After they are finished with you're house, they can come to mine.

I seem to clean only when I expect visitors and I don't know anybody.

Part of my prepping is learning to live like the pioneer days... on dirt floors and they did fine. smile

Inspite of my DH being really sick (trip to the ER sick), I did manage to clean out a 5-drawered unit in the bedroom that held medicines, vitamins, etc. I did this because he wanted me 'nearby' but not touching him.

Mind you, this wasn't in vain, for I was searching for the thermometer and did upend a drawer to find it.

I did a great purge and threw out a WHOLE BUNCH of old, useless, gummy, nasty items that were beyond saving. I now have all the thermometers, probe covers, and alcohol wipes in ONE bag, in one drawer.

Very neat and tidy. I'm pleased with myself. Any small thing helps the good of the overall household. smile

Originally Posted By: Canned Nerd
Part of my prepping is learning to live like the pioneer days... on dirt floors and they did fine. smile

ROTFLOLPIMP!!! (Well I ALWAYS PIMP When I laugh really hard)

I just bought a case of freeze dried tomato chunks from Emergency Essentials. They are on special this month. Each month I try to buy a case of one of their specials. This keeps it affordable for me. I also made some newspaper logs this morning.

Last week, I was so excited my first adventure into canning meat!

I picked my turkey carcass and canned the meat, then boiled it down and canned the stock. I was thrilled with the results. Bought some more staple items for my prep shelves in the basement that were on sale. The kids are getting a lot of practical things for Christmas instead of nonsense, just two santa gifts and neither are electronic, we don't do electronics!

Today, getting ready for our first big winter storm, cleaned out my suburban, vacuumed and washed it, reorganized and stocked the emergency gear, am going to see DD tomorrow who lives an hour away, figured I should have some gear in case I need something.

Also finished winterizing around the house and yard and got everything put away finally. Everyone at the barn is good, so we should be good to go, lots of snow, then an arctic blast to follow, yeah!!!! Making sure we are ready in case we lose power also.

Toni

Originally Posted By: Staceyy
I just bought a case of freeze dried tomato chunks from Emergency Essentials. They are on special this month. Each month I try to buy a case of one of their specials. This keeps it affordable for me. I also made some newspaper logs this morning.

I went to check on the price shocked !!!! OMG The price must have gone up because the ones I saw were: Our Price >> $44.95 OUCH!!! I will just keep dehydrating tomatos that are on sale or from the food bank. LOL! I love freeze dried things and I love Emergency Essencials. but ouch.

Good deal of the day:

WOO HOO....I will be buying flour this week, after I research how much to buy that will last me a year -- and if flour keeps a year? Hmmm.

Anyway 99 cents for 5lbs of flour!!! (Frys) All this week, limit two per visit. Well that is 4 at a time I can get...I make my daughter go through the line too.

I will be ordering oxegen abs. this week and putting my buckets... oh yeah...

AND the bakery said they will save me buckets EVERYDAY, if I come pick them up each day. I said I will pick them up faithfully EVERY DAY, I said I will EVEN CLEAN THEM. They THROW THEM AWAY!!! ACK!!! NO!!!

Walmart has gloves and beanie knitted hats for 1 dollar. (one hat or two pairs of gloves, for a dollar!) I got enough for the kids and my parents ...and forgot to get some for me. Silly ol princess. Can you say, "More stocking stuffers" I thought you could!! !

Some Secret Angel is sending some things for stocking stuffers -- for me AND For the kids. I know some of what she is sending, and I am so excited!!! (waving to Judy -- I know she is my Secret Angel in this case, she is actually my Secret Sister Angel). She is such a sweetheart that God listens to her prayers and putswhat she asked for on Secret Angel's hearts. Amazing.

Angela, is there a horse boarding facility anywhere near you? If so, you might see if you can get used bedding from them. It makes the best material for growing stuff. One yr I took my five gallon buckets and drilled holes all around about an inch from the bottom. Filled them with (free) used bedding/manure from the local stable and soaked it down. Let it set a couple of weeks till it didn't feel hot to touch and planted in it. You have to make sure it is wet all the way through. THe easiest way is to put the bucket with holes into another container, like a trash can or another bucket without holes. Then let it stand in water for 2 or 3 days and take it out. You could also use a plastic bag pulled up around the bucket so the water doesn't run out. The bedding and manure has to be wet and it is frequently powder dry in the desert (like where I lived). Once it is wet and drained it will hold moisture really well and doesn't require soaking unless you let it get too dry again. I grew the nicest veggies in them when I was in the desert.