MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cat

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE THIS WEEK TO PREPARE? PART 35

My seeds arrived from Baker Creek today. I need to gather what will be needed to start the tomatoes, broccoli, and brussels sprouts indoors. I have never done this before so I really need to read up on it so it will be successful.

Well, I figured how much I have to spend monthly to prep, so I have decided to fill in the blanks in each area monthly. This month is my food month, went to Wally world and got my pantry shelves pretty well stocked. Also tried my hand at my first batch of jerky yesterday, came out great!!! I am so excited. Still need to add a few more grocery items that I will fill in next week. Next month will be toiletries and meds, by the end of the year I should have most every area prepped. Wish me luck!! Also am cleaning and organizing a room a week, and adding things that each room needs to be completed to keep the family/household running in everyday life. Even though we prep for someday, tomorrow is still going to happen!

Toni

We are attempting to use all non hybrid seeds this year (except corn) in the garden. Today I got out all of the seed trays & sterilized them. Gonna put the seeding mixture in them tomorrow so they will be ready for seeds. I will start my seeds on Jan 24th. We want to plant on time this year and hope to have all of our own plants to transfer rather than having to buy plants.

Hubby is almost finished making a cold frame.

I have also organized & updated my inventory list and have bought a few more pantry items.

awwwwww, you all are making me greeeeeen with all this gardening talk! Up here in our inhospitable region of the planet, our last frost date is JUNE 15....and I've seen major frost on the 18th too. frozen It snowed here all day.

But I did clear out the freezers [to make room for some beef-on-sale] by dehydrating some more of those roll-y-poll-y peas. AND set a couple of my new, sale, plastic tote boxes to use storing my containers of dehydrated veggies/fruits in the basement.

MtRider [drooling over seed catalogs but....NEED to clear off my potting/seedling table downstairs..... DarleneSwoon ]

I canned some pork n beans, repaired my own washer and my husband bought pepper spray for everyone and several big bottles to keep in the house by the doors. He also bought a flashlight that stuns and sounds an alarm. He's taking care of all of the security things and I focus on food and household supplies.

wave Haven't been able to get on too much lately, and got way behind reading. We started tilling up our garden and will be putting the cotton seed mill out this week to get ready to plant. Bought some english pea seeds (wished I got them last month and planted them already, but just got behind.)

Got my seed catalog and a visa card so I can order my seeds tomorrow. Can't wait, first time to ever buy seeds from a book.

I went and bought 10 boxes of shotgun shells for hubby and sons, and another 10 bricks of 22-shells. He had already bought 10 bricks a few weeks ago. Have to buy more stuff for his muzzle loader (got to hurry and do that too).

We haven't got to do too much lately with Christmas, spending money and time on baby shower just b/f christmas for daughter-N-law, helping them out with bills and my daughter who are all having bad time right now.

Bought this week---1-box 125 tabs tylenol, 5 5-lb bags rice and 5 1-lb bags beans, cans mushroom soup, cans ro-tel tomatoes, onions and celery to dehydrate, cotton seed mill, english pea seeds, plants-cabbage, califlower, brocoli, collards, onion sets, 6 towels, 6 wash rags, 1 large 7-drawer container to put new towels and stuff in and another one to put son's new clothes in. Will be buying 2 more for my husband and myself this week. Going to put new packs socks, underwear, t-shirts, pants and shirts in these for each of us.

Best thing yet, was my son woke me up yesterday morning to show what he brought me. star He had me 3 6-gal milk boxes of rice sitting on the table. The workers (unusual for them to do this) were asked if they wanted these b/c the shipment that had come had little holes in the bags and they had to pour the rice out into these boxes and send bags back for half price of the rice, so the bosses asked if they wanted them, So he got me 3 boxes and will get more this morning if they aren't all gone. Husband and me sit here last night and filled 25 gallons of ziplock bags of this rice to put in the freezer. Alot of rice! Now all I have to buy up is more beans to go with it! clap

Also forgot I bought 10 1-lb bags coffee that was on sale and will be buying up 10 more this week b/f it goes off sale. Already bought 10 a few weeks ago.

Glad to see you posting again, Jasminegirl! "Free" is such a nice word!!! cheer

MtRider

Took down the Christmas decorations, packed all the totes back up and hauled them back out to the shop till next year. Then gave the house a good deep cleaning and de-clutter-ing (is that even a word? LOL).

Next on the agenda... reorganizing the preps... DarleneSwoon

I am WAY behind schedule on getting the things that I need, but I cant worry about that.. SO, here's last weeks purchases

30lbs of spaghetti

10 jars of Grape JAM (cheap sandwiches, and the kids LOVE them)

2 cases of Ramen noodle soups (creamy chicken and roasted)

10 half gallons of apple juice

20 lg cans of canned orange juice

2 lg cans of pineapple juice

24 packs of Gamesa cookies (.39! each)

25 packs of Alphabet noodles (.29 each)

Hoping to get freze dried meats and veggies this month.. and seeds, seeds!

Maranatha!

We got an additional tote bin after Christmas, and yesterday we packed all the antique quilttops that DHs GM and GGM pieced together. Kept thinking I would quilt them, but it has not happened. The tote will fit up in the partly floored attic space (soon to have more flooring). Some of the material in the tops was the material used by the bra factory in the town they lived in - it has been closed for more than 50 years!

Dora

Dora,

Does it get very hot in your attic? The fabric may be damaged by the heat.

It's so hard finding storage for all of the projects we want to finish. Your quilt tops certainly have sentimental value. It would be a shame to see them ruined. Is there any way you could hire someone to quilt them for you?

Doing up some hamburger rocks today, waiting on deliveries now for the canner and knitting books. I need to figure out a permanent keeper for all my yarn and oil up the sewing machine and do my curtains finally. Seasoning my new cast iron pan. This may take a few diligent days. The surface of lodge cast iron pans that are brand new is really quite gritty, if thats a word for it. The older brands I have used in the past were much smoother than this.

The quilt tops sound like a lovely treasure. I am also wondering if storing them in plastic like that will make them deteriorate.

Can you get someone to help you quilt them ?

You may want to invest in some archival storage boxes and acid-free tissue paper - to store your quilt tops. Do a google search for them. Our quilting group at church, bought some for our church quilts - oldest one was made in the late 1800's. Also, refold the quilts every so often, so the creases don't stay permanently. What a family treasure you have!

DH had a little bit bigger paycheck, so we stocked up another 2 months worth of pet supplies including litter. Also found some deals on chicken so our freezer is stocked up for now.

>>>Wow, ya'll been busy!

I went to office depot today and bought 5 "Christmas Light Totes" (very sturdy!) for 1.92 each! the added bonus.. the little doodads inside to wrap the lights on (5 each) I was thinking of using to wind yarn, or twine onto and store elsewhere. I was needing a place for my spaghetti (Check out your local stores La Moderna in the ethnic/hispanic foods aisle - 67cents a pound!) I placed the 30 I already had in the box and still only half full! Picked it up, and it doesn't buckle! Woo Hoo! bunnydance

Maranatha!

MOnique

Quote:
The surface of lodge cast iron pans that are brand new is really quite gritty, if thats a word for it. The older brands I have used in the past were much smoother than this.

Yeah Arby, I've seen the Lodge brand of cast iron and do not like it for that very reason. Why would they make it like that? Does it EVER get any better???? frypan

MtRider [lovin' the old stuff I find at thrift stores....but still looking for a larger camp-style dutch oven ]

While helping my Dad clean out a storage unit that he and my late mother had some stuff in, I found two boxes full of canning jars! star

: Christy

When something is 'cast' (usually in sand) it will always be rough, though I guess some companies may artificially smooth the surface, if/when it is preseasoned. The smoothness comes with proper seasoning and use.

The seasoning is doing pretty good. It will just take a number of times before it gets pretty slick.. the old pans were very smooth. I remember them, brand news! Perhaps they machined them a bit after the casting or just do a quality mold, unlike todays Lodge cast iron.

I have plenty of time so I am seasoning the pan each day with pure tallow and its coming along pretty good now, the third day of it.

I keep forgetting about all the threads I wanted to post in, but couldn't, but now I am able to!

I received a 23qt Presto canner for Christmas (helps when you say "I want THIS EXACT ONE") and have canned chicken and beef in it so far. I previously made up a 3 month menu and then figured out what food items I needed (using an Excel program from this site), and I need 18 quarts of canned chicken. Now I have 16.

I've made a few cotton ball and Vaseline fire starters. Little Miss (my 5.5 yr old) was eager to put together her BOB, so we did one for her that really needs a lot more, but I didn't have my list.

I bought a shelving unit at Home Depot, and put my regular pantry food on it, and now it looks much less! We're on a severe budget so it will be slow going to get it to where I want it to be.

Good job on the canning Josephine! It's fun isn't it?

This week my big accomplishment has been to discover the ease of making home made tortillas. :woot:

This is a big step for me, I never knew how easy it could be.

So, now I'm storing up the Tortilla Mix that I found and am using. So far I've got about 20 lbs. I need about 2 lbs to feed my crew, that makes about 20 - 24 decent size tortillas.

As we were talking in the shout box today, this is a great emergency bread. The particular mix I'm using only requires water to be added.

Josephine, great that you are canning now. I am still waiting for my canner to be shipped, it was backlogged. So I will get into that adventure in February it looks like.

My son was born in VA while I was there in my navy days, and then more recently went to the naval academy from being enlisted, as a marine. He just got a medical discharge though, but did over two years at Quantico helping train all the other new Marine officers, so he is very familiar with all that area and DC of course.

I always liked VA. He just married his sweetie and is working with a pipeline inspection company that is near Camp Lejeune NC where she is stationed, so now he is in NC. She is from East TX where I hope we all end up eventually.

I am getting into my now arrived knitting books and all that stuff at the moment. Hoping to master sock knitting from scratch, thats knitting with needles too, although its really easy to whip up a hat on those round looms I found out recently!. Good weather for it all I think!. Have fun canning!