MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Resealing buckets

I have several buckets of oats that I bought packed and purged with CO2. I've opened one of these and put on a Gamma Seal lid. But I don't use up the oats all that fast and want to ensure that the oats don't "go bad." Does anyone have a way of purging the oxygen out of the buckets prior to putting the Gamma Seal back on?

I thought about dry ice, but the amount I would need would be a couple of small chunks and I can't get less than a half pound. That's just too wasteful. Is there some sort of attachment that I could put on those CO2 cartridges that go in bb guns?

Why not pick up some oxygen absorbers. I keep mine in jelly jars until I need them (they will keep almost forever in a sealed jelly jar).

Just toss one or two in the bucket and put the lid back on. They will absorb the oxygen in the bucket and pull a small vacuum inside the bucket.

I thought that if you use Gamma Seals, you do not need oxygen absorbers. If that is not correct than why go to the expense of Gamma Seals.

Help, I need to know 'cause most of my stuff is in buckets with gamma seals and no oxygen absorbers.

Thanks,

The Gamma Seal Lids make the buckets AIR/Water Tight, ( no air circulating) thus a longer shelve life, but NOT “vacuum Sealed”. If your going to bulk store with OCCASIONAL access, the gamma seal( all by itself) is a great choice. If you going to have Longer term storage, maybe place several vacuum sealed BAGS in each bucket, that way you can pull a bag, ( and even reseal it at LOW cost). The Oxygen absorbers are intended for LONG TERM undisturbed storage.

Depending on your budget, one or the other can be used, I guess it’s in choice, need, afford ability.

Originally Posted By: LeeAnn
I thought that if you use Gamma Seals, you do not need oxygen absorbers. If that is not correct than why go to the expense of Gamma Seals.

Help, I need to know 'cause most of my stuff is in buckets with gamma seals and no oxygen absorbers.

Thanks,

1 Gamma Seal is EASY access. 2 Gamma seal is "SAFE" ( critters cant smell contents) 3, gamma seal guard against sunlight exposure 4, gamma seal is "water & moisture proof"

I do have some O2 absorbers. I figured it would put the vacuum on it and make the Gamma Seal hard to remove. Is it difficult to remove the Gamma Seal with the vacuum?

LeeAnn, yes, if you vacuum seal everything and then put them in a bucket with a Gamma Seal, you are good to go.