MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Stephanie

Bible Reading Plans for the Upcoming New Year - 2009

Hello my friends and fellow students of the Word of God! smile

I've been contemplating several Bible Reading Plans, trying to decide what would be best for me, my schedule and my needs. I always start something fresh and new on January 1 of each year.

What about you? What are you thinking of doing?

Last Year I didn't follow a structured plan, but I want to this year. I'd really like to read the entire Bible through again this year but, I often don't follow through with that plan. frown I will be reading and something will catch my eye and off I go investigating, researching and running references. I end up with a good Bible Study but not staying on 'schedule'.

I purchased the One Year Bible a few years ago and I'm thinking of doing that this year. If you're not familiar with it, here's a link to their page and their schedule.

http://www.oneyearbibleonline.com/readingplan.asp?version=51

Basically you read a portion of The Old Testament, Proverbs, Psalms and New Testament every day. So it gives you some variety.

I also have a Chronological Bible, I think that might be an interesting way to read the Scriptures also.

One of my favorite on line Bibles is www.blueletterbible.com

If you go here... http://www.blueletterbible.org/reader/daily/

It has several reading plans to follow, they're all laid out and you can do your reading on line and always know what you need to read that day, according to the plan you chose.

I'd love to hear what some of you are doing. The New Year is upon us...so it's time to decide. smile

DH and I read the One Year Bible, which is the OT, NT, Psalms and Proverbs. We've been on the system for 6 years now and really love it. DH downloaded the spreadsheet years ago and prints the four-month schedule at a time. We just carry them in our Bibles so we can take them with us wherever we travel.

You might find that audio tapes help. DH isn't a good reader so taking the audio files and headphones in his suitcase does wonders for his attention and retention. wink

Another treat is to write in the date of your completion at the end of each year. Your children will always remember your persistence when they see the inside flap of your Bible.

Another idea I use, especially in the books of the Law section of the OT, is to spend time reading about the book before I read the book. For instance, I have notes at the beginning of Deuteronomy that reminds me that it's Moses' last sermon. He teaches them about their duty to God, not their war strategies that was ahead of them in the Promise Land. It's considered the 'book of review', for the new generation that came out of the Wilderness journey. It's also the book that Jesus quoted during His temptation from Satan.

Just some thoughts to get others excited about a journey that never ends until we come face-to-face with Him. grin

I've been enjoying the Back to the Bible guides. It pops up the day's selection and I don't have to go looking or flipping back and forth. This past yr I did the Blended plan and I may do that again this yr or do the Chronological Plan again. I really like having one that gives both a selection of Old and New Testament each day and I like not doing such long stretches in the Pentateuch, especially Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers and Deut. Most of the time I've started with Genesis and just read straight through. Doing that you don't really need a guide, just mark your place each day when you are done. The Missionettes program has a guide too, and I've done that one. It is more a blended type plan.

Main thing is pick one and DO it each and every day without fail. If you miss a few days, though, don't slap yourself over it. Pick up where you left off or pick up where you are supposed to be if it is a calendar plan.

I think the audio Bible would be so neat for me and the kids to sit down together and let them follow along in their Bibles. Great idea!!

Trish, you're right, it's the committment to DO IT, and I want a plan this year so I'll be a bit more accountable.

This past year I bought a new(used) Bible from Amazon. It is a women's study Bible. It has a weekly plan that I am going to follow this year. I have always been a Christian, but am just recently trying to walk farther down the path. I have always called myself Christian, but not really done anything to help me or others learn what that really means. I am excited about the new study Bible I will be reading this year.

Maybe if it will help keep us on track we could have a thread where we list what we read each day or week and our thoughts and questions about it?

Our Daily Bread has The Bible In One Year where you read 3 chapters from the Old Testament and one chapter from the New Testament this year.

Proverbs can be included daily because there are 31 chapters, one a day. happy02

http://www.rbc.org/odb/odb.shtml

Thank you for posting the links as they look like wonderful sites. I started BSF last September but had to quit with the surgeries, and I absolutely need to be led by the hand. Thanks again.

After much consideration, dh and I chose the 2yr plan in the One Year Bible. So far it's working out well. The first year you read a portion of the Old (Original) Testament and a portion of Proverbs. The Second Year you read the New (Renewed) Testament and Psalms.

This coupled with the Church Studies, Family Studies and Homeschool Bible Classes is going to work out well I think.

I wanted to share a scripture from Proverbs that was part of yesterday's reading. It really stood out to me. It seems that so many people who are realizing for the first time that we're in BIG trouble are struggling with fear. And then those of us who have been prepping for a while still struggle with the enormity of it all and fearing if we've done enough.

I'm going to post this scripture in a few prominent places and meditate on it. I'm not in this alone, God has given me promises and security that a full pantry can not provide! As I do my part, and even if I fall short, I can count on HIM!!

Pro 1:33 But all who listen to me will live in peace and safety, unafraid of harm." NLT

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.