MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Peg

Vertical gardening

I was reading Square Foot Gardening by Mel Bartholomew, he was talking about vertical gardening. All the vine type plants can be trained to grow upward, instead of taking up precious space. I never thought about it until now, but what a good idea. I'm going to be trying this in the spring.

Be aware that some vegetables won't thrive under adversity, particularly water stress and physical injury, if they are not in contact with the ground. For example, if you get a squash vine borer, the best thing is to stab it, then bury that part of the vine. Sweet potatoes like to put down a cluster of potatoes at major re-rooting nodes. So be aware of the potential problems. That said, I get most of my produce from barrels and windowboxes these days because I have dogs. The stuff I put in the ground and let ramble on its own doesn't do nearly as well.

Even though I have plenty of land, if it's at all possible I prefer to go vertical. The plants seem to do better here in our climate if they are off the ground.

I haven't tried sweet potatoes yet. That one never ocurred to me.

We have a piece of remesh (steel mesh for pouring cement) that is standing 3 feet from the outdoor clothesline post, with several long sticks stretching from the mesh to the t-shaped post. We grow pole beans on it alternating with cucumbers, usually, but one year we grew ornamental squash (small sized) and the vines went up the mesh, across the sticks to the post and as much at 10 feet down the clothesline! Looked really cool with the gourds hanging from the line!

Dora

Dora, do you happen to have a photo?

I want to see photos too! My tomatoes took off up my veggie pole and across the fence. I swear it looked like it was trying to move into the neighbor's yard.

No photos of the gourds - more victims of the house fire in 'o6. But the rig is up (there are radishes growing in the arc of open space). I will have DS take a picture of the setup. Might be cool to do progress pictures. I am SO ready for spring, already.

Dora

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.