MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Percysgirl

Growing Grains

Does anyone here grow grains? I'm wondering if it's worth the return for the time and garden space invested, especially if the space is taking away from space you could be growing vegetables...

WOuld it be a better investment of time and space to grow dried beans instead?

I'd love any feedback and experience from folks who have tried it.

Since grains can still be purchased relatively cheaply compared to garden veggies and fruits, and since they aren't all that easy to grow, I'd rather purchase grains for long term storage and devote my time, energy and space to things that will repay my efforts more. If it gets to where I can't replace the grains, I will be eating a lot more corn since it is easy to grow. The thing is, grains lend themselves to cultivation by machinery and veggies are more a hands on type production.

I did once try to grow a small patch of wheat and was not satisfied with the results for the amount of effort I put in.

I think I need to be prepared to grow some if needed, since we have to have gluten free grains, and they would be even more difficult to get ahold of in case of an economic collapse. But I think I need to concentrace more on veggies right now and just grow a little grain to see what's involved this round. Maybe a handfull of plants of each type.

What exactly were you planning on? My daughter has to have gluten free/corn free, but she does very well with potatoes. I know rice would be very difficult for me to do, but I have a lot stored. It also grows in this climate so it is more likely that I will be able to buy it down the road. Getting rice seed is a bit of a problem too. Sorghum and amaranth are reasonably easy to grow. Hulling something like sorghum is a royal pain. I have a lot of oats stored too because she can have those and we use a lot.

I don't know how much room you have but Bountiful Gardens sells seed for hulless oats. I'm going to try an experimental patch this spring. Amaranth is a GREAT choice for an urban homesteader, especially if you choose the types that double as a green and a grain.

Would I be considered a *bad girl* for suggesting maybe seeding empty fields? With grains? I'm pretty sure when I was driving in Colorado that I saw what looked like Winter Wheat growing in the drainage ditch next to the road.

Just a thought.

BTW Chica, how much space are you devoting to growing the grains? Just curious...

The wheat in the "bar-ditch" could have sprouted from wheat that blew out of the grain trucks that passed on the way to the elevator? Happens a lot around here (middle of the Texas Panhandle)

Dora

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.